Stanek Non-impact vs. PGT Non Impact...

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Janis

Stanek Non-impact vs. PGT Non Impact...

#1 Post by Janis »

I live in northern Pinellas County (central west coast of FL). My house was built in 1981. I have been searching for windows about 4 months now. I need 10 average 36" single hung windows replaced. ANYTHING at this point would be a MAJOR improvement over the builder grade single pane alum clear glass I have lived with for 18 years. (Thank you Lord)... I bought hurricane shutters (removeable) and had the tracks they slide on professionally installed a couple years ago so no need for impact strength glass. I am leaning toward Stanek but price is holding me back. As far as product & warranty go, I am hard to find anyone else who can beat it. The other window I am considering is PGT. My husband & I are in our 50's & our plan is to remain in this house the remainder of our days. I want to buy windows that will run the coarse with us as won't be able to afford replacement in our old age on a limited income. Any feedback from the pros is kindly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know the difference between Low-E Argon S & Low-E Argon H that Stanek has listed? And, can anyone send me a picture or refer me to a site with pictures of Stanek's "slimline" windows? Do these have a single or double re-enforced steel frame?

Thanks to everyone out here on this forum. I am brand new with this being my first posting. I am very excited to have found so much information in one spot! You guys are great that are administrating the site...thank you. Janis

crankthisout

#2 Post by crankthisout »

If you call their local Clearwater office they will send you a free buyers guide and DVD.

They usually only sells the Low-E/S which stands for soft coat. The hard coat is what they used to carry. Soft coats give you higher R-values.

All four sides of each sash and sill in the double-hungs and sliders are reinforced with 16-guage steel profiles. The Casement window frames and sashes are reinforced as well around all four sides. By doing this, all the locks and hardware are attached into steel and not just the vinyl. This gives you a DP-60 for Double-hungs and DP-65 for Casements with very large sizes being tested. DP is the design pressure test score. The higher the # the more uniform loads the window can withstand. It also is an indicator of air infiltration and water penetration.

gpzelcs

did you go with stanek

#3 Post by gpzelcs »

We're looking at Stanek windows but they have 11 complaints with BBB. Do you go with them and are you happy? Thanks