Anyone ever heard of American Exteriors?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Kell in Sac

Anyone ever heard of American Exteriors?

#1 Post by Kell in Sac »

Hi there,
I'm in the market for windows, and have actually had *ahem* I think 10 or 11 bids so far.... I gues you could say I'm thorough - or crazy. :wink: Anyway, this evening I just got a call from American Exteriors (they were at the Sacramento Home Show a couple weekends ago), and they want me to check out their product. But I couldn't see very much of it on the website they referred me to.

BTW, I LOVE this site!

Any word from anyone who may have heard of this company and might know the quality of their windows - before I set up YET ANOTHER appointment for a bid....???

Thanks!
~ Kell in Sac

windowmannjny

#2 Post by windowmannjny »

how could you have had 10-11 estimates and not chosen a company to do the work? is there something that you are looking for that nobody is offering? is it that you just have plenty of time? or have the sales reps been so unprofessional that they have turned you off to the whole process? i cant imagine how you can make an educated decision based on what 10-11 different companies have explained to you...especially when you write that one lock is better than two, in a different post.

Kell in Sac

#3 Post by Kell in Sac »

I didn't say one lock is better than two; I said that one lock is less of a pain in the UnoWhat than two, in my opinion.

I've had so many bids because yes, I do have time on my hands, and also I believe that making this purchase is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. I guess I like to do my homework. And after doing all this research, had I gone with the first two or three bids I'd gotten, I would not have been happy, nor would I have gotten the best deal.

I've narrowed the search down, and now I'm just looking for other people's opinions - people who have either 'been in the biz' for a good amount of time, or people who might have had experience - good or bad - with any of the brands I've mentioned:

American Exteriors? Anlin? Amerimax? Seabrooke? Superior?

Thanks. :)

windowmannjny

#4 Post by windowmannjny »

im sorry if i came off the wrong way in my post, but can you please explain why having one lock instaed of two is less of a pain in the UnoWhat, i would think that having two locks would pull the sashes together in a more uniform way being that they are spread out more than just one in the middle which may provide some air to infiltrate at the far sides of the meeting rails. as far as the brands that your have mentioned i think i can help you out if you were to give me a little more information because some of these companies offer more than 1 line of windows, some U-values would be helpful to start as well as some other NFRC #'s are you thinking of clear glass or Low-E? would you prefer soft or hard coat? is anyone using super-spacers, warm-edge, alum.? what type of windows are there now? lets start with this for now.

Kell in Sac

#5 Post by Kell in Sac »

We currently have single pane (or 'pain' really) :wink: aluminum frame windows, original to the house, circa 1984. We're looking at vinyl windows, double (or triple - but then again, overkill for this area??) paned, low-E of course - I'm not sure I've even seen any in my many bids that didn't have low-E in some capacity. Nowadays it seems that each company is sporting its own high-tech upgrade to low-E in one fashion or another.... Yes, I understand the advantage of having two locks to provide a better seal to the window, I just like the ease of being able to flip one latch and open - we have 2" wood blinds over every window that pretty much stay down (but not closed) all the time. And if one latch COULD do the job, I'd prefer that. Besides, most of the salesmen that came to the house pushing the two-lock design spoke more about security than window seal. Maybe that's their bad, eh?

Perhaps I have gotten too many bids on this - of course each salesman is going to say that their product is better; that say, aluminum spacers are better than foam because foam leaks the gas out - or, conversely, foam is better than aluminum because it's non-conducting. I see pluses and minuses for each window. I guess I was hoping for some unbiased opinions on which way to go.

Things I know that I want for sure: even sight lines, good insulation (duh), and ease of use. I need to go do more homework ya say? :roll:

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

You can drive yourself crazy looking at different lines and options. As long as the window has some sort of Low-E and it is Energy Star qualified, you are on the right track.

Intercept spacer people have long said that about the Super Spacer. If you live in a mild climate, you are splitting hairs after a little while.

Compare all the lines you have seen on the NFRC.org database and see what the performance numbers really are and then look at the portfolio of work from the different companies.

I can sell you a 1,000 window and if I install it like crap, it will be outperformed by the 200 window. Once you have selected a product line, the installation is the next most important factor to consider.

Kell in Sac

#7 Post by Kell in Sac »

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense - and helps me make some sense of the stack o' bids I have here on my desk. I do agree - quality service is what makes the deal. I've also been bidding on having a whole house fan installed - got 3 bids that were all about the same, price-wise. But I am going with the only gentleman who actually sat down with me and showed me what his fan can do, and what goes into getting the job done. The other one didn't, and the third one didn't even come to the house! :?

I haven't been to NFRC.org yet - that'll be my next step, and then I feel I'm pretty much ready to make my decision. Thanks again.

windowrep

#8 Post by windowrep »

kell, i hope everyone is listen to the very important point you just made. one of the biggest problems with this industry and why so many companies come and go. SIT DOWN AND EXPLAIN. sounds easy but very few people do it. and i bet out of those 10-12 quotes you have the only thing you will really remember about each one is how helpful or considerate the person in your home was, and if you felt a gut feeling about them. Am i right? such a great statement from a homeowner and consumer i hope everyone sees it. good luck kell in sac. by the way that is way too many bids, your just beating yourself up now.

Kell in Sac

#9 Post by Kell in Sac »

Thanks! :D

And you're quite right -- at the moment I'm leaning toward going with the guy who put booties on over his shoes to enter my home and was very personable, efficient, and helpful - even though I'm not AS pleased with the look of his product from the outside! How's that for good customer service getting the worm? Or wait, that was the early bird. Wrong metaphor, sorry.

Anyhoo, yes, I have gotten too many bids I suppose - but thank you all (who've responded), for all your help. I think I'm good to go now. Thanks for the 'luck'.

windowrep

#10 Post by windowrep »

enjoy your windows kell. i am off to buy more booties.