Intercept spacer

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Intercept spacer

#1 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I'm replacing over 30 of these in a home, and 2/3 of these 4 year old windows have moisture between the glass already. Granted, results vary depending on methods by manufacturers using this spacer, but I'm getting real soured on it after seeing scores of homes like this in the last year. I don't know if this is a regional thing or if this is typical of results around the country.
Are you other pros seeing an increase in the failure rates of Intercept now that it has been in windows for a while?

That's the (usually)grey bead of dessicant down in the bottom if you are wondering what the debris is.

Windows on Washington

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is horrible. I would be real interested to see if they edge deleted the Low-e or if that was a single or dual seal spacer.

Window4U (IL)

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I don't know the brand of these but obviously there is a problem at this plant with properly sealing these units. I will investigate further when I go back to this home and find the brand.

While I have personally seen an increase of failures with Intercept, I have to say it's been with the cheaper builders grade units, not with any of the better known replacement brands.

InfoSponge

#4 Post by InfoSponge »

It looks like they didn't caulk the interior as well. It is sad to see a nice house get treated like this.

researcher

#5 Post by researcher »

It would be interesting to know if these failures you are seeing are from manufactures that cover visible moisture between the glass in there warranty.

windowmann2000

#6 Post by windowmann2000 »

The only seal failures we've had in the last five years are either older aluminum spacers or Intercept. I might add much fewer than fifteen yrs ago when everything was an aluminum spacer. So Intercept has improved things but obviously there are better spacers available. Window4u those pic's show some unsightly welds, indicating perhaps a budget priced window, probably Window World, oops I'm sorry.........no I did to mean that, anyway it does look like a bottom shelf window and should let shoppers know there are a lot more considerations than just price.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

windowmann2000 wrote:The only seal failures we've had in the last five years are either older aluminum spacers or Intercept. I might add much fewer than fifteen yrs ago when everything was an aluminum spacer. So Intercept has improved things but obviously there are better spacers available. Window4u those pic's show some unsightly welds, indicating perhaps a budget priced window, probably Window World, oops I'm sorry.........no I did to mean that, anyway it does look like a bottom shelf window and should let shoppers know there are a lot more considerations than just price.
True, price shouldn't be the only consideration, however, I can install a window that costs me twice as much that doesn't do half as good a job as some of the cheaper windows out there. Given the pictures of the install, I would hardly trust the company that installed them to sell me a good product. If it is a Window World product, it should be completely covered by warranty then.

windowmann2000

#8 Post by windowmann2000 »

Yes WoW your correct unless the Window World franchise happens to be the one closest to me, or one like it. They have no one that can properly install a replacement piece of glass. They do have a double lifetime warranty thank goodness, because it would take them two lifetimes to get it right.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

I could be very wrong, but those windows could be the new construction junk that is infesting my area. This would account for the caulk seperating so badly as the house is settling. Around here all of the builders are using either Patriot, Capital, Silverline, or Slocomb. Most are single hung, and they all have Intercept spacing.

The builders don't really care because they only put a 2-year warranty on the windows!

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

That just means that the replacement window market will be very healthy in the years to come! :D

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

windowmann2000 wrote:Yes WoW your correct unless the Window World franchise happens to be the one closest to me, or one like it. They have no one that can properly install a replacement piece of glass. They do have a double lifetime warranty thank goodness, because it would take them two lifetimes to get it right.
You won't get an arguement from me there. The scrape the bottom of the barrel for installers and rape them on the pricing. Hence the reason they can make their margin on products.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Delaware Mike wrote:I could be very wrong, but those windows could be the new construction junk that is infesting my area. This would account for the caulk seperating so badly as the house is settling. Around here all of the builders are using either Patriot, Capital, Silverline, or Slocomb. Most are single hung, and they all have Intercept spacing.

The builders don't really care because they only put a 2-year warranty on the windows!
Amen. I would say that a big part of our target customer grouping is people in homes that are roughly 4-7 years old. Amazing the junk people put in these places and worst yet is the way the rest of the home is built.

Dan

#13 Post by Dan »

I've looked at the first picture a few times and it just has not looked correct to me. I enlarged the picture and it appears that the inside piece of glass on the IG unit is missing. I'm not a fan of intercept but it does seem to me the spacer and dessciant are in such bad shape due to the glass not being present.

Window4U (IL)

#14 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Dan wrote:I've looked at the first picture a few times and it just has not looked correct to me. I enlarged the picture and it appears that the inside piece of glass on the IG unit is missing. I'm not a fan of intercept but it does seem to me the spacer and dessciant are in such bad shape due to the glass not being present.
It looks that way but no, the glass is there.
Here's a couple more shots where you can see the glass better.