Comfort Design Windows vs. The Competiton

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rivieraview

Comfort Design Windows vs. The Competiton

#1 Post by rivieraview »

I'm located in Southern California and looking to replace most of my windows in a 50 year old house (all original windows are aluminum). I was give a quote on Comfort Design vinyl replacements but other than their website, I could fine no other comments posted about this manufacturer. It's a Tacoma, WA company, around since '89. Any comments or experience with this firm?

I was quoted for a total job about $15,700. 12 are just replacing existing sliders (a dunk-shot install in my inexperienced opinion), 5 are to be increased in size by 50% to meet code, only 1 install requires a ladder. They combine material and installation into one price, so it is difficult to know what they are charging for what. The quote supposedly includes a "30% discount".

I'm also looking at Pella and Simonton and perhaps Marvin.

Any comments you pros out there are appreciated.

Venomboy

#2 Post by Venomboy »

I was just at a window showroom/installer's office an hour ago asking about Milgard Windows. They owner of the shop also showed me the Comfort Design windows. He said on average they cost a little less than Milgard Classics and the quality is about the same. He said Comfor Designs come with Low E glass and Argon filling standard so there's no upcharge for it.

We began discussing new construction vs retrofit windows. He said Comfort Design is one of the few companies that offer radiused windows as retrofit style windows. He also said one of Simonton's window designers left Simonton to work for Comfort Design to design their windows. He said they're priced a little lower than the competition since they're a newer company and they're trying to break into the market.

The guy was very informative on all brands of windows he carries (Milgard, Anderson, Comfort Design, and a few others) and wouldn't recommend one blatantly over another.

Dunno if this helps or not but it was the first time I've heard of that brand and I feel like a I got a reasonable explanation of them.

rivieraview

#3 Post by rivieraview »

Thanks for your feedback and it does help. Been waiting for 5 days for someone to chime in on the subject, I guess that told me something right there.

If they are trying to enter the market, I don't believe that the company I got a quote from is on board with lower pricing though. I'm still going to shop around and see if I can find an outfit that is reasonable. Fortunately, there are quite a number of companies around that do windows so hopefully I can find a quality window at a fair price.

kris

#4 Post by kris »

take a look at anlin window systems, a california based company. priced about the same as milgard classic with higher build quality and better shgc/u factor. also better spacer, double locks, beveled frame exterior and more complex/stronger extrusion(frames) anlin.com