Window World Vs. Window Depot

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jlbutler2879

Window World Vs. Window Depot

#1 Post by jlbutler2879 »

I am looking to replace the windows in my home. I have received two quotes, one from window world and one from window depot. The window world quote ($5800) and the window depot quote ($5200) was for 10 double hung windows and 6 sliders. Window depot said that their manufacturer was republic but window world did not say who their manufacturer was. Does anyone know who the manufacturer for window world is? Also, which of the two would you recomend that I go with. If any more information is needed please let me know and I can give it to you.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window World Vs. Window Depot

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

jlbutler2879 wrote:I am looking to replace the windows in my home. I have received two quotes, one from window world and one from window depot. The window world quote ($5800) and the window depot quote ($5200) was for 10 double hung windows and 6 sliders. Window depot said that their manufacturer was republic but window world did not say who their manufacturer was. Does anyone know who the manufacturer for window world is? Also, which of the two would you recomend that I go with. If any more information is needed please let me know and I can give it to you.
Probably Alside for the Window World product.

I will wait to be entertained by the boards other responses.

insiderinfo

#3 Post by insiderinfo »

Yes, Window World is usually uses Alside as their window supplier.

Window Depot has used a few different fabricators, but at the moment Republic supplies most of their windows and Schuco is suppling the Hurricane (Impact) window throughout Florida and other areas where Impact is required.

jlbutler2879

#4 Post by jlbutler2879 »

Which offers a better product, Alside or Republic?

The$189.00Window

#5 Post by The$189.00Window »

The installers of the $189.00 Window: :?:

The $189.00 window companies claim they are going to change the window industry. They say they are modeling themselves after the likes of Wal-mar?. In Order to do this they have to knuckle down cost. Everything from labor cost to what they pay for their products, has to be brought down as low as possible.
The way they do this is by using their leverage buying power from the amount of volume they do.
As far as realistically modeling a window company after the like's of Wal-mar? the reality is, this cannot be done and maintain quality.
Any of the $189.00 window owners or their subordinates need to come to this reality as soon as possible.
I will explain why:
The building trades industry has its own standardized pricing in each community.
All professional contractors and professional subs know what I mean.
Again the theory the $189.00 window companies hold to is the Wal-mar? volume = discount theory.
While this may seem to work in the retailed goods/unskilled labor force arena. (Ask a Wal-mar? worker about their pay & benefits)
But trying to incorporate this wholesale concept into a skilled trades sub-contractual work force can't be done. Cutting subs wages down by up to 75% just by offering him a steady work flow, is a bad business move for all parties concerned.(Except the business owner) Industry wide the standard base price to install 1 window is between $50.00 & $100.00 per window. Ask any professional window installer how wise it would be to take $25.00 per window, no matter how many window units they get a week! Any intelligent skilled tradesman would direct you to the local tavern to find your new revolving door converts. I know the brain trust sitting at their desk's in temperature and dust controlled environs at w world and w depot may think they can change our industry by selling $189.00 energy hog windows installed by their underpaid work force. There will never be a shortage of in-experienced & un-qualified, pretender carpenters out there. When it comes to properly install windows there really is no new shortcuts under heaven. Each window job requires the same amount of time & attention (it always has and always will) to deliver, remove the old, inspect and prepare the opening, properly set the new window, insulate, seal and clean up the job, all while protecting a customers home from collateral damage. As The $189.00 window business grows so do their BBB and online complaints. Do your own research before doing business with theses companies. Take a look at the individual W World & W Depot BBB complaints per city location. Also Google each company name along with the word rip off, nightmare or scammed, etc. You will see what I mean! These companies don't care about our environment, your home, nor the skilled work force. It is obvious they care only about enriching their bottom line. I predict if the $189.00 window companies stick around .The professional companies and their skilled tradesman along with the BBB are going to be very busy cleaning up the mess! So will a-lot of class action lawyers.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

i agree that a window for 189 is utterly ridiculous and even the biggest piece of garbage will end up costing more than that with install after its all said and done; more like 300.
i disagree that most installers get between 50 and 100. for example, where im located there is no way a qualified installer will do anything for $50 and thats for the most basic install. in my region its closer to 150 unless of course its a bit more complicated.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am wondering if it is like some one walking into a store and saying " I want a pound of beef for $1", you can get the beef but will it be eatable or tainted, will it be all fat and grisly?
I am sure it wont be sirlion , chuck or fillet.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm seeing the same exact business model in the fitness industry. All of these $10 a month no commitment places are popping up everywhere and only the franchise owner makes enough not be living in their parents basements for the rest of their lives. I've seen enough of the installs of the $189 guys to warn all perspective homeowners that they're heading down a path that doesn't have a happy ending.

TLHWINDOW

#9 Post by TLHWINDOW »

masterext wrote:i agree that a window for 189 is utterly ridiculous and even the biggest piece of garbage will end up costing more than that with install after its all said and done; more like 300.
i disagree that most installers get between 50 and 100. for example, where im located there is no way a qualified installer will do anything for $50 and thats for the most basic install. in my region its closer to 150 unless of course its a bit more complicated.
I think it depends on the area of the country that workers get paid. Even in Florida it ranges from $50 - $200 a window. It depends on area, existing window and install tactics.

WW and the others started out and depended on Wood window out prices, no capping, LowE etc. Basically a wham bam thank you style. Problem is, that is exactly what you get. Here in most of the state, WW owners come and go every 2-3 years. With the exception of a few places. They can't stay in business because they actually have to charge more than standard window companies to get windows that comply with code.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep hardly see wood sash out, vinyl in, no cap.
Did bid a cream puff today, with capping of coarse.

jtomasik

#11 Post by jtomasik »

If I have to choose I think Window World is little better but you are not getting quality eather way. WW is Alside window. it is Ok for the money ( about $360 installed compaired to Good quality window @ $480 -$620). I you can afford it go with something better.

Thermal Sash Windows

#12 Post by Thermal Sash Windows »

For most window dealers that have the $189. business model, that model is a classic bait and switch. You will inevitably be offered add on options such as Screens, capping, insulation better quality caulk, haul away, 2nd floor installs, low e glass, argon gas, lead safe practices, warranty, do you want glass with that?

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Thermal Sash Windows wrote:For most window dealers that have the $189. business model, that model is a classic bait and switch. You will inevitably be offered add on options such as Screens, capping, insulation better quality caulk, haul away, 2nd floor installs, low e glass, argon gas, lead safe practices, warranty, do you want glass with that?
There is something to be said for "a la carte" pricing, however I'd agree that WW takes it to the extreme. You should see one of their bid sheets... The fact that they over-promote the $189 window even though it is a very small percentage of their sales (If I remember correctly their average window sale is nearly $400) is what turns me off the most.

beaver

#14 Post by beaver »

I am not a fan of Window World but would not consider their advertising to be bait and switch. They actually do have a $189 window where as bait and switch would be advertising a $189 window which does not exist. Their advertising is geared to what catches peoples attention and gets them to call and set appointments and gets them in the door. From that point they upsell, which I would bet we all do. How many times have you seen a car dealer advertise their most expensive vehicle? Or Walmart, do they not advertise their products which are on sale?

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

beaver,

Legally...you are correct.

In spirit, it goes a bit further than that. The $189 window is never sold as that nor would any customer purchase it in such a capacity. Most customer see a price on a unit and assume that the "installation" would be in a finished capacity. Nothing could be further from the truth and I don't envision too many customers doing their own capping and trim work. When you advertise a given product (your Walmart example) I can pick that item up in a completed format without requiring an additional piece to make it work properly (again...all hypotheticals).

The installation that is that $189 window is also based on and outside install. Well, when you do that, you necessitate the need for capping. Seems a bit of a hollow offer and skirting the truth to put it mildly.

As is the case in all examples, buyer should never rely on complete protection and Window World does fill a portion of the market that ultimately requires filling.