Window World Vs. Window Depot

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
HomeSealed

Re: Window World Vs. Window Depot

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:beaver,

Legally...you are correct.

In spirit, it goes a bit further than that. The $189 window is never sold as that nor would any customer purchase it in such a capacity. Most customer see a price on a unit and assume that the "installation" would be in a finished capacity. Nothing could be further from the truth and I don't envision too many customers doing their own capping and trim work. When you advertise a given product (your Walmart example) I can pick that item up in a completed format without requiring an additional piece to make it work properly (again...all hypotheticals).

The installation that is that $189 window is also based on and outside install. Well, when you do that, you necessitate the need for capping. Seems a bit of a hollow offer and skirting the truth to put it mildly.

As is the case in all examples, buyer should never rely on complete protection and Window World does fill a portion of the market that ultimately requires filling.
I could not have said it better. As I mentioned before, I have no problems with attractive offers or an a la carte pricing structure, as long as it a "finished product" as WoW referred to. Perhaps bait and switch is strong, but it is not too far off imo.

beaver

#17 Post by beaver »

The WW franchise that is in my area offers the $189 window installed only in a basic wood sash out insert from the inside by removing the inside stop and leaving the outside stop intact. Reapplying the inside stop and sealing both the inside and outside with caulk. Certainly the most basic of installations but not requiring any additional trimwork on the outside.

My point about the auto dealer or Walmart, or almost any other company or service that I can think of, was that they don't advertise their most expensive product or service. I am personally more offended by other forms of advertising that I feel are more deceptive than what WW does.

HomeSealed

#18 Post by HomeSealed »

That last part may very well be true. On the first, how many installs are out there that can utilize a simple interior stop removal, that are not pre-1978 and likely to be subject to RRP? That being the case, they have gone from literally branding their organization at a price that they sold at VERY rarely, to one that is now nearly never. It is misleading at best.