independent installers vs. window company installers

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
thebrannens1

independent installers vs. window company installers

#1 Post by thebrannens1 »

Hi, I need some advice about windows.
I am having a hard time wading through all the sales pitches etc. and need some good honest opinions from those who have been there done that.
Does anyone know about Amerimax, Jeld-wen or Simonton windows? Which is better? I am looking for a mid price window as I need to replace 13 in a home I may not be in for more than 3-4 years.
Also, would you recommend buying windows outright and then having an independant installer install them or buying from a co. who sells windows and have their installers install them.
Seems like it would be cheaper to have an independant installers, but I am not sure what pros and cons this involves.
Help.
Rachel

E-Z

#2 Post by E-Z »

Rachel,

Really good question....out of those 3 i would go Simonton 1st next Amerimax 2nd and leave jeld-Wen out of the equation.

Going with a company or an independent contractor is a matter of doing your homework on either one. if you go wit a company they take care of the process from begining to end you should hold the contractor to the same standards of service. Take a look at some their past jobs if possible, make sure to ask for references, check the BBB and their licenses and insurances. There is a lot of good independent contractors you just got to do your homework, there is just as many good companies.

If you are going with an independent installer make sure he measures the windows and signs off on them so if they do not fit he wil be responsible for the windows. Also see what method of installation would be better for your house. If permits are required either one of them should be able to pull them and get reimbursed for permit fees.

E-z
www.eazywindows.com
E-z
E-z Windows

earwax

#3 Post by earwax »

E-Z,

I have experience with all three of the listed windows companies. What are your reasonings. Is it the warranty, cost, quality, etc.

Rachel,

Some installers will only install windows they sell, that way they get paid twice, once on the mark up and once on the install. You may save money on the purchase of windows yourself, but, you will pay more per window for the install. It is the nature of the beast. Costs are high with workman's comp and expences for glazer today. If you cut the profit out of the windows themselves, I would bet you will have to pay more per for the actual installation. Plus, you will be liable for the measurement, procurement of the windows and dealing with any warranty issues from the manufacturer.

I would say the small amount of money you would save is not worth the potential headache and hassle.

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

Hi Rachel, Welcome to the board and I hope you get the answer you need. In my case we do both options. We install independently and do direct sales. This keeps us busy all year around. Most of our independent installations are done on new construction homes and townhomes. My theory is simple. I would rather install your windows and make some money than none at all. If I can free up the man power I will install windows the customer provides. I come right out and tell the customer that they are responsible for any windows incorrectly measured. I will also provide a measure of all windows but I have them sign and notarize my sheet. I've been stuck in the middle a couple times and this takes the game away. Out of your window choices I would put the Simoton and Amerimax even across the board on their middle line window. The Simonton Prism line would stand above the others. I also agree with EZ and would stay away from the DIY stores Jeld-Wen products. People spend so much time trying to catch someone at being dis-honest. There are so many crooks out there it makes it really hard for us honest guys to do our thing. So be patient and stay on top of everything you do. Make sure you get someone with good communication skills and will keep their word! Good Luck!!!

E-Z

#5 Post by E-Z »

Earwax obviously you just read what you wanted to read on my posting.
I will not install someone else's windows unless i measure them. And it is not true that the installation would be more to compensate not selling the window i like Guy offer both options sometimes people are sold on a particular brand and as they are a lot of good brands out there as long as my customer has done their research and feel good about their decision i am comfortable installing their windows.

Your experience with all 3 of these brands should give you the same conclusion as mine that the first 2 are superior over the 3rd one. What is my reasoning? How about features, double strenght glass, lo e 2,brass rollers to name a few...

E-z
E-z
E-z Windows

thebrannens1

#6 Post by thebrannens1 »

THanks for all the info. I know I will be back to ask more questions. There are so many options etc. out there and it is hard to know which to choose. I am trying to explore them all.
Thanks again.
Rachel