Which window for PacNW?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
NWBob64

Which window for PacNW?

#1 Post by NWBob64 »

Greetings!
Thank you all for the great site.

I'm in the Tacoma/Seattle area and looking to replace about 25 windows.
Not looking to spend a lot but want a good value for the buck.

Looking at
Pella
Milgard
Jeldwen
Huttig
Certinteed

Of those, which would be the best bang for the buck?
Thanks!

buddy

Re: Which window for PacNW?

#2 Post by buddy »

NWBob64 wrote:Greetings!
Thank you all for the great site.

I'm in the Tacoma/Seattle area and looking to replace about 25 windows.
Not looking to spend a lot but want a good value for the buck.

Looking at
Pella
Milgard
Jeldwen
Huttig
Certinteed

Of those, which would be the best bang for the buck?
Thanks!
Do you want vinyl or wood clad?

NWBob64

#3 Post by NWBob64 »

Sorry about that, looking at vinyl replacement.

buddy

#4 Post by buddy »

Pella is low quality, Certainteed low to mid. I can't comment on the others, Someone else?

uto

#5 Post by uto »

Certainteed and Milgard are both good quality windows and both have plants near you. Certainteed prices to their dealers are less and your quote should reflect this,

NWBob64

#6 Post by NWBob64 »

Thanks guys!
I will look more at the Milgard and cerainteed.

I called the milgard plant, they won't sell me windows...go figure.:)

NWBob64

#7 Post by NWBob64 »

I have decided to go with the Milgard 'Tuscany' line. They seem to be pretty good windows and are slimmer than the Certainteed that I looked at.

Unless there is something about that line you pros know that I don't?

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pretty good window and the better between the two that you listed. Factory service is a plus and you are right in Milgards backyard so you should feel good about that.

NWBob64

#9 Post by NWBob64 »

They are local, in fact the main plant is only about 15 miles from me.

Getting parts or service shouldn't a problem!

In this fairly mild climate would it pay to get the super spacer, low E goes without saying.

I'm going to pass on the argon, not really worth it as I understand it leaks out in less than a year anyway.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

NWBob64 wrote:They are local, in fact the main plant is only about 15 miles from me.

Getting parts or service shouldn't a problem!

In this fairly mild climate would it pay to get the super spacer, low E goes without saying.

I'm going to pass on the argon, not really worth it as I understand it leaks out in less than a year anyway.
Argon improves the efficiency of a window IGU in the neighborhood of 20% so it is worth it if you can get it. BTW, it will not leak out if it is properly filled and sealed and if it does, the leakage rate will be so minimal that it will take years.

Super spacer will not increase the efficiency of the window but a fractional amount but will give you better edge of glass performance and condensation resistance.

Ask for SunCoat Max (Cardinal's Low-e 366) as well.

NWBob64

#11 Post by NWBob64 »

Good information, thanks!

NWBob64

#12 Post by NWBob64 »

OK, got a quote on my windows, I didn't pass out so it must not be too high.

20 single hung suncoat max no argon and no superspacer, $4000, sound about right for milgard Tuscany?

One question,
They took 1/2 inch off my measurements, each way, that seems like a lot to me.
Is that standard?

uto

#13 Post by uto »

Your price is close to my dealer cost. I would strongly suggest you rethink the argon, super spacer decision. It should only add about 10% more.

Proper measurement is one of your most important decisions and you should be more on top of this than asking here.

Your windows are custom made, non cancelable, non returnable and non refundable so they better fit.

NWBob64

#14 Post by NWBob64 »

uto wrote:Your price is close to my dealer cost. I would strongly suggest you rethink the argon, super spacer decision. It should only add about 10% more.

Proper measurement is one of your most important decisions and you should be more on top of this than asking here.

Your windows are custom made, non cancelable, non returnable and non refundable so they better fit.
Thats why I am asking if 1/2 inch is standard 'cut back' (?) on windows.
1/2 inch seems like a lot to me and wouldn't leave much to contact the blind stop, but I'm not sure how much is needed there either.
Is a 1/2 inch too much or not? Throw me a bone here man.:wink:
I have measured twice and will likely do it several more times before placing an order.
Having a friend come over to measure for me as well.

I went to a home show the other day, got a couple of quotes and was told to buy the windows at that price because they couldn't beat it.

Also learned a bunch about the super spacer and argon, in colder climes it would pay but around here not worth the $40 per window.
Argon is the same story, every single person I talked to told me that the argon, even with a good seal, will be gone in less than a year, the molecules are just that small.
But it is a matter of opinion I guess. :wink:

windowmann2000

#15 Post by windowmann2000 »

The price is good, and remember when ordering through Milgard to tell them your sizes are net or they will subtract some more.