replacement window quotes/can you cap in winter?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kmg

replacement window quotes/can you cap in winter?

#1 Post by kmg »

My head is spinning with all the information I have received while researching windows, never realized how complicated..have gotten quotes for 9 Ply gem lifestyle at $6200 all included, Harvey classic with low e and argon at $3400, all included. Another contractor wants to sell me basic vinyl windows without low e or argon...it's a local vendor, he wont name them and says he doesn't cap in the winter it damages the frame/house (is that true?)...said I don't really need those things..waiting for his price...Live in NYC suburb...everyone tells me they are giving me the best deal/window for my money. I really want to replace my windows now to get some benefits this winter...would really appreciate some unbiased advice. Sound dampening is also something I would like to consider for the front of the house. Thank you

Skydawggy.

Re: replacement window quotes/can you cap in winter?

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

Forget about the contactor who won't tell you the brand and doesn't recommend LoE glass with argon in the NYC area. Seriously, just tell him you aren't interested in doing business with him and hang-up the phone. There isn't any reason not to install in the winter unless it's very cold, windy and/or raining or snowing. If you want to dampen sound, have windows with laminated glass installed on the front windows but make sure you are dealing with a very experienced installer who measures the windows precisely. I would ask what increments they measure to and if it's more than 1/4 inch on the width and heigth, keep shopping.

windowmannjny

#3 Post by windowmannjny »

kmg- dont bother using a window without low-e argon, and dont even consider the contractor who wont cap in the winter. obvious extreme weather conditons I would not install either. there should be quite a few companies to choose from that offer a good quality window in your area

kmg

#4 Post by kmg »

OK, thank you...went to windowrama today; the recommended the silver line 8500 and the superseal for the noisy front of the house...though I didn't read good things about them on this board. I'm going to go with the ply gem lifestyle; from what I can read they are a good window and the installer is very reputable, so it's worth the expense. Appreciate the input!

windowmannjny

#5 Post by windowmannjny »

great, good luck let us know how it went

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Windowrama has several stores in high rent locations that I pass in my travels. They have great looking store fronts with the huge "Marvin" and "Andersen" names and logos all over the roof signs. When you look into the store you see bay windows with cooper roofs and hand stained Thermatru doors.

Then they recommend Silverline and Superseal? I don't understand that logic. They go from high end to the bottom.

jsmomo

#7 Post by jsmomo »

I wouldn't recommend the silverline product at all. Did you tell them you had a budget to were trying to stay within? I also have never heard of windowrama it sounds like a something of a cartoon.

kmg

#8 Post by kmg »

I actually went to windowrama because they carry all the top lines and I wanted to compare them visually and get their input. They carry the great lakes brand, which is part of the ply gem family, however they only carry the garden window; I asked his opinion on them, he said they are good windows, but overpriced. He took me right over to the silver line windows, I was surprised that he never mentioned the Andersen or Marvin, I never mentioned budget constraints, I was disappointed to say the least.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Great Lakes Uniframe and Plygem if they are even called these names since the revamping of their line up back in 2005/2006 do cost a lot more than anything from Silverline or Superseal. If the Windowrama guy doesn't see the difference in quality between Great Lakes and those brands he clearly doesn't know jack about vinyl.

We have a lumberyard outside of South Philly that has the best selection of oak for my bay and bow projects. They carry Marvin and Andersen. I didn't even know that they sold any vinyl windows unitl the other day I stumbled upon a handsample of a new model from Superseal. It still had the NFRC sticker on the glass with a u-factor of .25 for double glazed with low-e and argon. I think that it was glazed with the Duralite spacer? Go figure.........

jsmomo

#10 Post by jsmomo »

if the guy from windarama suggested you buy the silverline run you would have nothing but problems. we sold silverline for a long time as a low end window when our customers were having budget issues to say the least the service issues dam near put us out of business. keep shopping i don't know much about great lakes windows sorry i cant give u more info.

kmg

#11 Post by kmg »

To add to my troubles and confusion, I was told today by an installer that my current (vinyl) windows are buried within the frame?? He said the molding will need to be removed not only to install but to get a true measurement because he can't tell how deep in they are; and the capping I currently have is underneath the siding. Would need to cut away siding to get to them.

I know the windows were installed by a previous owner about 25 years ago, who fancied himself a handyman, and I think he made a lot of mistakes with the windows (that I'll need to pay for).

I"m not sure who is telling the truth, I hate to say it, but as a single mother some contractors think they can take advantage of a damsel in distress.. I'm a smart person and I'm trying to educate myself, but feel like a complete idiot, I never imagined this would be so difficult.

I have another guy coming in tonight, I'll ask him about what this other guy said. If it's true I want to know now, not when the windows are being installed and I need to pay more than what I agreed to. I don't mind paying a fair price for a good quality product, I just don't want to get ripped off.

jsmomo

#12 Post by jsmomo »

let us know how it turns out. if the capping is behind the siding the capping can be removed with out cutting you siding

kmg

#13 Post by kmg »

The installer who came tonight assured me it's not a major issue with the frame behind the molding and that the new capping can be inserted behind the siding. I offered to let him remove a piece of the molding to take a look, but he said it wasn't necessary. Seemed like a genuinely nice guy, said he's been installing windows for this company for 16 years.

windowmannjny

#14 Post by windowmannjny »

if the previous homeowner did siding as well as windows at the same time, he may have used a new construction type window which would generally have a nailing flange running the perimeter of the newly installed "replacement" windows. If this is the case a good installer will "peel" back the siding with no damage and install your new windows.. did the last guy you spoke with mention any kind of flange.

kmg

#15 Post by kmg »

No, he didn't mention a flange, but said he could place the capping under the siding and was showing me the j cap. I'm going to go foward with this company, they are ordering the windows on Monday and should be in by the end of the month. I realize the other guy is a general contractor and not used to dealing with windows everyday, whereas the 2nd guy only installs windows for the last 16 years, so he has seen more and can handle the job.

I'll let you know how it all turns out in early February....thanks for all the assistance!!