NEW $1500 TAX CREDIT ON WINDOWS

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

NEW $1500 TAX CREDIT ON WINDOWS

#1 Post by Window4U (IL) »

On February 17, 2009, President Obama signed a stimulus bill (The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009) that made some significant changes to the energy efficiency tax credits for windows.

Homeowners,
These are some changes from the previous tax credit:
• The tax credits that were previously effective for 2009, have been extended to 2010.
• The tax credits have been converted to 30% of the cost of the windows up to $1500. A $5000 purchase will get you the maximum $1500 credit. (The previous $200 cap on windows has been removed.)
NOTICE! Not all ENERGY STAR labeled windows and skylights qualify for the tax credit. There are now tighter performance restrictions, so get yourself informed and don't be misled by unscrupulous salesmen or you may be denied the credit come tax time. The new standards are that the windows have to have a minimum NFRC U-Factor of .30 and a minimum NFRC Solar Heat Gain Coefficient of .30. These new standards are stricter than Energy Star Standards so don't think that just because they have the sticker they qualify. May I suggest that under no circumstance should you sign a contract with a contractor without having these qualifying U-Factor and SHGC numbers as part of the contract.
• Many wood windows as well as a good portion of cheaper vinyl windows available DO NOT QUALIFY, so do your research.

I am curious if many manufacturers and the associations and lobbyists who represent them are working overtime to try to get these standards eased. We can only hope that doesn't happen. I for one am tired of certain poorly made "Energy Star" windows being cast as energy efficient windows. Many of us install windows that are twice the energy efficiency of these windows that barely meet the standards. I applaud the stricter standards and hope they keep lowering them as time progresses.

inart

Re: NEW $1500 TAX CREDIT ON WINDOWS

#2 Post by inart »

Window4U,
I am looking for if any tax inscentives for using a higher rated window in a new construction job. I am currently working with a company that is tossing around the idea of a a window that has a .33 ufactor vs mine that has a .29. Is there anything other than LEED credits? Because that 1500 would ease the price a bit. But I cannot find anything.

LeadFoot

#3 Post by LeadFoot »

Regarding the U-Factor, I am seeing Simonton information giving U-Factor for the total unit and for the center of glass. In the context of this new tax credit and in general, when one speaks of U-Factor, is that usually for the total unit or for the center of glass?

jsmomo

#4 Post by jsmomo »

total unit not cog

Ecohen

#5 Post by Ecohen »

Alside and Andersen both have notices on their website stating that ONLY THE MATERIALS qualify for the rebate, not the installation costs. I can't see to find any definitive answer on this. Does anyone know where to find one? There are so many window companies out there that are saying the entire amount of the purchase qualifies for the rebate...but its a big difference if only the materials qualify.

http://www.andersenwindows.com/servlet/ ... 432022798/
http://www.alside.com/index.aspx?page=703

If this is true there are going to be many angry window buyers when tax season comes around.

Thanks

tru_blue

#6 Post by tru_blue »

Ecohen wrote:...ONLY THE MATERIALS qualify for the rebate, not the installation costs. I can't see to find any definitive answer on this. Does anyone know where to find one?
At Energy Star's website it states "30 percent of the product cost."

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=w ... taxcredits

Numerous window manufacturers are stating similar information at their websites.

Window4U (IL)

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Yes, but since we are the sellers it's the price we sell them at, not the price we buy them from the factory at. All we need to do is take out an installation charge.

advanced_energy

#8 Post by advanced_energy »

exactly...if we charge 600 per opening,we could concievably state the labor was 25 bucks and the materials were 575.

Bates

#9 Post by Bates »

$600.00 per opening?!!?? LMAO! Is that after your fantastic 50% off buy it tonight to get the sale price?

No vinyl window is worth $600.00 a piece folks...don't fall for it.

Window4U (IL)

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Bates wrote:$600.00 per opening?!!?? LMAO! Is that after your fantastic 50% off buy it tonight to get the sale price?

No vinyl window is worth $600.00 a piece folks...don't fall for it.
Wow, you are really an uninformed newbie on the quality products available in the marketplace. Maybe you ought to do a little product research and take a business class before making such a ridiculous statement.
I have premium vinyl double hungs that I pay $350-$450 just for the product. Add materials, Hilti Foam, 75 year caulking, top tier labor for a top quality installation, gas and insurance for the box trucks, expenses like payroll taxes, workmens comp, unemployment insurance and a very small profit to keep the doors open on our warehouse and office and $600 is a very fair price for a quality triple paned window with a U-Value 2x the insulation value of the windows you deal with.
Please get yourself educated on windows by reading a couple years of past posts here before giving any more ill-informed advice to homeowners.

Bates

#11 Post by Bates »

Thanks for your insight Window4U (IL)...but I've been in this business for 25 years. If you charge people $600.00 an opening...you're gouging your customers.

The old sales tactics of huge list prices....instant 30-40-50% off today only discounts...money off for a sign in the yard...discounts to make their house a "show" home...ALL SCAMS. It used to work for the old tin men selling siding...used car salesmen...and window dealers. This is 2009 and people have the internet. They can do a little homework long before you show up with your heat lamp and story of how your windows are the best of the best.

If you get $600. ea...good for you. But I'll bet if your own mother wanted windows...you wouldn't let her talk to one of your competitors. People have the internet today and can see for themselves that premium quality replacement windows with low e/ argon/ capped exteriors/ internal mullions/ woodgrain interiors/.etc. etc. can be had for $350. to $400.00 each and include transferable warranties that cover them for parts AND labor for as long as they live in their homes. AND they qualify for the tax credit.
Your claim that your windows are 2x's the insulating value of what I carry?!? You have no idea what windows I carry. I've never promoted any brand of window on this site.

So I thank you for your suggestion that I take a business course...but I took my business course years ago while you were still in grade school.

*And if you're a moderator on this site...I'll be curious to see if you leave my posting up.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Bates,

So $600 for an opening for a window that has 0.02 Air Leakage rate and a U-Factor or 0.15 in a triple pane krypton window is gouging people?

You are going to pay $350+ for a window that barely hits the 0.30 U-Factor and leaks air like a sieve.

How is paying $600 for a window that will more than out perform another window by two-fold and last forever gouging?

No one here is defending the practice of instantaneous price drops or false advertising (i.e. advertising a $189 window that you know will cost over $350 when installed). Window4U has probably been in this business as long as you, if not longer, and has a well established track record of helping customers on this site.

In your short tenure, you have gotten into multiple arguments and had harsh words for several posters on this site that lend their time and energy to educating customers. Why the huge chip on your shoulder?

Bates

#13 Post by Bates »

Look...Like I said...if you can get it thats great. I have a guy here locally that sells the Schucco triple pane with krypton gas and hits folks up at $900 to $1000 ea. A house with a dozen windows or more costing 12 to 15 thousand dollars. And if they can afford it and are happy with the work...thats great.
Bottom line is not everyone wants a $600 to $1000 replacement window. Not everyone needs a triple pane window. If a customer pays $300 a window more for triple pane windows and it cuts his heat bill down another $10.00 a month....how many years does he have to live there before he recoups his costs. The average homeowner moves within 10 years. Either to a bigger home...or downsizes to a smaller home. Most families have more projects to deal with than just replacement windows.

Bates

#14 Post by Bates »

In your short tenure, you have gotten into multiple arguments and had harsh words for several posters on this site that lend their time and energy to educating customers. Why the huge chip on your shoulder?
If thats how its come across...I apologize. Thanks for all the info you guys provide for everyone.

Window4U (IL)

#15 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows on Washington wrote:Bates,
Window4U has probably been in this business as long as you, if not longer,
Actually WoW I've been doing this since he was in 3rd grade if he's only been doing it 25 years. I had 20,000 windows installed by the time he started.