Vinylmax E100 verses Gorell 8300

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
toadman

Vinylmax E100 verses Gorell 8300

#1 Post by toadman »

OK need your guys help

I have been shopping for windows for years litterally and I am down to two quotes, two companies.

1st company is a Gorell 5300 series window with AC master glass - meets the new Energy star qualification
2nd company is a Vynalmax E100 series window - also meets the new Energy star qualification.

Both windows seem about the same, same type cam lock , same fin type weather seal with lip.

Pricing is very similar. Does anyone have expereince with either window. What do you guys recommend.

Both installers are certified, stand behind the install, etc.

Thanks
Last edited by toadman on Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toadman

Re: Vinylmax E100 verses Gorell 8300

#2 Post by toadman »

Also want to add, replacing 30 year old anderson wood single pane windows. The Gorell installer wants to wrap the existing vinyl wrap with new vinyl and then calk between the window and the new wrap.
The Vinylmax installer will leave the Anderson frame and wrap and calk to it.

Any prefered method? Is there anything wrong with this "calk and walk" style install?

Skydawggy.

#3 Post by Skydawggy. »

Both installers are certified by who?

toadman

#4 Post by toadman »

The Gorell is a Masterinstallers certified. The Vinylmax is Certainteen Golden Master. The Vinylmax installer was the same roofer I used, and I was very pleased with their work, and have talked to their references. The Gorell dealer is a big replacement place up here in Ohio.

toadman

#5 Post by toadman »

Well I have bit the bullet and signed the agreement for the Vinylmax. Very good price for the 12 windows and I know the installer from previous work. I will post my results, findings once the project is done!
Thank you all for helping out.

Justsuern

#6 Post by Justsuern »

So how do you like your Vinylmax windows? We received a quote for them today. Higher price than Champion. But trust the installer.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Not a fan of just caulking new white vinyl windows to existing Andersen PVC cladded frames. The shades of white of the new window with the perimeter of the old Andersen cladded frame don't blend that well in my opinion. Probably looks good to the eyes of a roofer and he doesn't have to make all of those complex hems and 90 degree bends with the siding brake. :lol: I prefer the method the Gorell installer from a finished exterior appearance.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Delaware Mike wrote:Not a fan of just caulking new white vinyl windows to existing Andersen PVC cladded frames. The shades of white of the new window with the perimeter of the old Andersen cladded frame don't blend that well in my opinion. Probably looks good to the eyes of a roofer and he doesn't have to make all of those complex hems and 90 degree bends with the siding brake. :lol: I prefer the method the Gorell installer from a finished exterior appearance.
+1 on the installation methods. In addition, the Gorell product is one of the top choices available, compared to the "vinylmax" (are they still in business?)... even if so, I can't help but think that was a choice of an inferior window and installation.

Justsuern

#9 Post by Justsuern »

Glad to read all of this. We were looking at the Vinylmax Hyde Park window. We also looked at Champion. So hard to compare windows and companies. I did find someone in my area that sells Gorell so will give them a call.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Justsuern wrote:Glad to read all of this. We were looking at the Vinylmax Hyde Park window. We also looked at Champion. So hard to compare windows and companies. I did find someone in my area that sells Gorell so will give them a call.
What area of the country are you in?

Gorell and Soft-Lite are pretty well distributed around the country and Simonton definitely is.

Sunrise is also well circulated with Okna being the smallest network.

Justsuern

#11 Post by Justsuern »

Near Cincinnati Ohio. We also looked at a company that sells Thermal Industries windows. Don't see much info on those windows.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Justsuern wrote:Near Cincinnati Ohio. We also looked at a company that sells Thermal Industries windows. Don't see much info on those windows.
You will not find much positive. Outdated design, pocket sill, average performance, and they filed bankruptcy last year.

Justsuern

#13 Post by Justsuern »

HomeSealed wrote:
Justsuern wrote:Near Cincinnati Ohio. We also looked at a company that sells Thermal Industries windows. Don't see much info on those windows.
You will not find much positive. Outdated design, pocket sill, average performance, and they filed bankruptcy last year.
Oh my. Well thanks for that info. Guess we won't be looking into those windows any further. We liked the Champion windows but we need additional work done that they won't do. We want to replace all of the woodwork around the windows since that was never put in right when the house was built.
An installer we trust can do that but he sells Vinylmax Hyde Park windows and they cost $1400 more than Champion.

EcoStar Remodeling

#14 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

How much of the $1400 is for the additional work?

Justsuern

#15 Post by Justsuern »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:How much of the $1400 is for the additional work?
None. His windows alone are$ 1400 more than Champion. Its over 3000 to do the woodwork job.