fit of pella vinyl repalcement windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
suzanne

fit of pella vinyl repalcement windows

#1 Post by suzanne »

We purchased vinyl replacement windows from Lowes and had their installer install them. We were assured and reassured regarding his years of expertise. However, the installed windows vary in how they fit against the existing window sills. In some windows the fit is very good -- right up against the sill. In other windows, there are gaps -- one large enough to stick a finger in. My question is: is this right/normal?

We have only partially paid for the job and the job is not yet complete (some windows were the wrong size; we're waiting for the right size). What is the best way to state a complaint? To the installer directly? To Lowes? I now feel we didn't make the best choice, but I want to make the best of a bad situation.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

RC

#2 Post by RC »

Are these total replacements (frame and window), or just inserts? I am only familiar with full frame replacements which can be ordered in any size. You may have an argument with Lowes as far as what they ordered and installed, depending on your contract.

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

Depending on the replacement method let the installer finish the job before lodging any complaint. You can investigate the reasoning in why the windows were ordered wrong and find out why. I would say they would owe you for your time to take another day off work. I personally measure all my windows for each job. It makes my life a bit awkward but I have nobody to blame at the end. I then measure all the new windows to make sure they are correct before booking the work. This saves the headaches you are going through today. I've made some mistakes in my day but usually have no issues. Sometimes when transfering data from one paper to the next mistakes are made. Mistakes are also made when going from paper into the computer. So it may be an honest mistake. When ordering replacement we sometimes order the window smaller if we feel there could be a leveling issue. The gap I'm assuming your speaking of is under a Double or Single hung unit. I'm assuming it's the one on the exterior side your worried about. There is a cover that snaps in to fill the void here. Insulation should be inside the gap. I can't imagine they didn't finish these up before they left. I would make sure they get out and finish the windows that were already installed. That's the least they can do!! Good Luck!!!