Best Replacement Windows for Waterfront

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DEANNA

Best Replacement Windows for Waterfront

#1 Post by DEANNA »

We have a beach house that sits directly on the salt water of puget sound. The last windows I purchased have failed....wood inside and out. I am looking at Anderson A series which are wood on the inside (esthecially good for the home) and fiberglass exterior. Is this a good choice for longevity? How does fiberglass compare with vinyl on failure rate, withstanding harsh weather conditions, and longevity? Thanks for your thoughts. I'd appreciate any sound research findings on the issue.

TLHWINDOW

Re: Best Replacement Windows for Waterfront

#2 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Just a note, If you buy ANYTHING with wood in it, you have to paint/stain every few years or the window will fail no matter what is on the outside.

I can send you a picture of an Anderson Wood door with Clad exterior were the clad had fallen off because the interior of the door was getting moisture and started rotting and passed it to the bonding material to the outside.

DEANNA

#3 Post by DEANNA »

Thanks so much for your review. Was the door fiberglass clad or vinyl clad? How old was it. Do you, then, recommend all vinyl windows for waterfront applications? Once, again, I appreciate you taking time to write. D

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

DEANNA wrote:Thanks so much for your review. Was the door fiberglass clad or vinyl clad? How old was it. Do you, then, recommend all vinyl windows for waterfront applications? Once, again, I appreciate you taking time to write. D
The exterior was likely vinyl clad in this case, however, it would have made no difference between vinyl of aluminum.

Windows of an inorganic composition would be preferable in salt water and coastal applications.

JScott

#5 Post by JScott »

Also, I would add to upgrade to stainless steel hardware or what some companies offer as their costal package. I would also suggest fiberglass or a premium vinyl product.

Any wood clad product should use mahogany as the species or meranti or cyprus and the clad should be AAMA 2904, 2605 or anodized aluminum finish(preferred).

:mrgreen:

DEANNA

#6 Post by DEANNA »

Thank you for your ideas. Windows are complicated for the novice and you have been very helpful. :)

TLHWINDOW

#7 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Actually it was aluminum clad, door was 10 years old.

I prefer vinyl (or composite) for coastal applications. Also, SS hardware.

windowinsider

#8 Post by windowinsider »

Sounds like you are being steered towards vinyl. I don't see in reference to what type of windows are being replaced. Casements, Double Hungs, Sliders?... Just be careful with vinyl Casements. They can be fugly.

DEANNA

#9 Post by DEANNA »

Thanks everyone. I stuck with Anderson A series, wood interior, fiberglass exterior. Hopefully the windows will last. Perhaps, in this day and age, and the location of the home, I can't expect a life time of use. I appreciate the time you all took to share your ideas and expertise.

proteus

#10 Post by proteus »

Just had to note that Marvin/Simonton has a coastal storm series that has lami glass and stainless hardware and simonton weather series is also hurricane rated for salt environments they are the most popular brands with great warrantys and customer service :D
will give you a insurance break in high wind load areas too.

No aluminum near the humid salt environment , electrolysis will corrode finish ,must use an inert material fiberglass or vinyl

Neuma also makes wind rated doors with replaceable lites for corrsion prone salt /coastal areas thru ABC supply and your installer

like the newer composite door frame jambs they will not rot no more rotted wood or steel to rust, stainless steel is great

Mywindow1261

#11 Post by Mywindow1261 »

Deanna
So now 10 years later which windows did you go with and how is it holding up?

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I doubt a home owner is going to be checking this board after 10 years.
The above advice is still good,Look for products that have "coastal" packages.

theWindowNerd.com