H window vs Gorell vs Weathershield

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mgreaper

H window vs Gorell vs Weathershield

#1 Post by mgreaper »

Will be doing a total window replacement soon & would greatly appreciate any insight regarding these copmanies. The windows are casement & the doors curently are sliders but may go with French if H window (doors). Construction of each is; H window - aluminum frame with wood interior, Gorell - vinyl, Weathershield - fiberglass clad. Location is Minneapolis. All price qoutes are with in $2,000, H window is the most $$.

HomeSealed

Re: H window vs Gorell vs Weathershield

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Not familiar with H window, Gorell is very good and would be my overall choice. Weathershield has good quality imo, however I just think their fiberglass clad product is ugly. The Gorell isn't necessarily the most beautiful product either, but that sash lift rail on the WS is hideous.

TedK

#3 Post by TedK »

The H Window door is a commercial door that can be used for a residential applications. Commercially rated doors and windows are designed to withstand much more use than a residential product. The H Window door comes with an extra hinge at the top to prevent sagging and provides better security than a residential door. It is European (Norway) in design in that it is an out swing open. The H Window is manufactured in Ashland, WI. Their door web site is The H Window is more expensive than residential graded doors and windows because they are built to handle commercial buildings. As they say on their web site if it holds up in a school or office it can handle any residential use.
The H Window offers any color exterior and real wood interiors that can be stained or painted at the factory.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Thanks Ted for your completely unbiased and informative post :roll: :roll: :roll: .... So other than your sales propaganda about "commercial windows being superior to residential windows", please tell us the real numbers difference. :mrgreen:

TedK

#5 Post by TedK »

The H Window windows and doors are commercially rated (and tested) for design pressure. Design pressure refers to a window or door’s ability to keep air and water out of the building envelope as well its ability to withstand air pressure(wind).
There is a great difference between the structural integrity of a commercial window or door and a residential product. If all the products were the same, high rise buildings would have plastic framed windows. As well, entry doors to commercial buildings would be made of plastic instead of metal.

The H Window is generally about double the price of a high end plastic window and 50% more than a Pella, Marvin etc. The H Window doors are priced more reasonably than their windows since there is no upcharge for special sizing. I hope this helps.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

There is no upcharge for most residential window "custom sizes" either... So what is the AAMA certified DP and AI rating for the H window? What are the U-value and SHGC ratings for your DP and TP glass packages?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

..............................post perfomance numbers.
Last edited by masterext on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

TedK

#8 Post by TedK »

The performance ratings can be viewed on the web site,
which is also a link on the web site itself called "performance."
DP rating per AAMA is AW70
Air Infiltration for the awning window .006 CFM/FT at 25 mph
(H Window does not make double hungs--too leaky)
Water resistance 25 at 100 MPH
NFRC .35 U-factor/value operating .28 U-factor fixed-double glazed
NFRC .28 U factor/value operating .20 U factor fixed- triple glazed
SHGC varies based on the glazing package. H Window uses all the major and specialty glass companies. Beceause of this the SHGC and VT can vary greatly.

buddy11

#9 Post by buddy11 »

Those are solid numbers.

Skydawggy.

#10 Post by Skydawggy. »

Ted,

I can't find an H-Windows listed with AAMA. Is it listed as another manufacturer? H-Windows is listed with NFRC.

Randy

#11 Post by Randy »

buddy11 wrote:Those are solid numbers.
Yes they are - if the window is AAMA certified. AW70 is a very high rating.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

TedK wrote: If all the products were the same, high rise buildings would have plastic framed windows. As well, entry doors to commercial buildings would be made of plastic instead of metal.
Thats a pretty silly statement. By that logic it's amazing that most homes don't collapse upon themselves within five years considering the construction of most homes has just about zero in common with that of high-rise buildings in terms of materials used... The fact is that high quality vinyl windows are far more than adequate for residential applications (including coastal regions, ie:hurricanes), they are far less costly and will offer superior energy efficiency.... The H window does look like a fine product and has good numbers, but you just may get a warmer reception if you first disclose that you are affliated with the company rather than trying to pose as an objective third party, and secondly tout only the real benefits of your product rather than a bunch of sales bs.

buddy11

#13 Post by buddy11 »

I didn't get the impression he was posing as an objective third party at all. I got the distinct impression he was a company rep touting his product. If his numbers are accurtate and AMMA certified it's a solid product and I would tout it also. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's breaking any rules.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

buddy11 wrote:I didn't get the impression he was posing as an objective third party at all. I got the distinct impression he was a company rep touting his product. If his numbers are accurtate and AMMA certified it's a solid product and I would tout it also. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's breaking any rules.
I never said he was breaking rules, although I didn't know that we could post links to our own websites :?: :?: Further, I was under the impression that "company reps touting their products" was frowned upon as well as to keep the board from looking like a commercial .... This quote (and others):

The H Window is more expensive than residential graded doors and windows because they are built to handle commercial buildings. As they say on their web site if it holds up in a school or office it can handle any residential use[/i]

.. put me off a little. If I was representing something as my own, I say mine or ours, not theirs. That and a few of the shameless "sales guy" type statements. I agree that the window looks solid (IF it is AAMA certified)-- and the numbers are exactly what I was looking for, just without the fluff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is why most consumers check out these sites, for objective info without a sales-spin... Maybe you disagree, that's just my take. 8)

JScott

#15 Post by JScott »

The standard Gayko window has to pass RAL certification. I seriously doubt that the H passes RAL as 99% of US windows do not. Basically this standard residential window model MD90 surpasses all AAMA test guidelines. Triple pane with argon Uw value is 0.12/0.13. Using standard hardware the Gayko(pronounced guy-co), or Gayko-Weber as distributed in the US can be used up to 100 meters or basically 27 stories. Oh, and Ted, it is plastic. www.gayko.de

The standard dual pane with argon Uw= 0.22

It is currently being marketed to larger projects where over 60 units or more are needed to dispurse shipping costs to a reasonable level. Ted, there is no window in north or south America that compares so please be careful when stating plastic windows are not used in high rise. The little brother to the MD90 is the MD70 which is used as a lower priced residential window in Germany but cannot achieve the R-8 insulation. Why would the developers of vinyl and of most energy efficient construction products such as Sipps, EIFS, ICF, solar, etc... not have a window that conformed to there engineering heritage?

One of the OKNA companies in Poland meet the RAL standards so even though I have never seen the OKNA products discussed on the board here I understand the engineering behind BMW and many other Euro products keeps me in awe and makes me feel at times as our windows are more fitted for third world counties like the silverline, alside, etc...

Oh, and Ted, STC of 48 is not a problem and it takes over an hour to break through the frame/sash. Plastic in high rises, not a problem.

The technology Weathershield uses for the ZoE glass is German technology licensed to the Shield Family Brands- 3/4" dual pane glass with or without argon is an R5 in the ZoE 5 extreme releasing the 24th of Feb.

Looks like the H window is pretty dated technology. Does it come with wooden wheels.

:mrgreen: