BEST WINDOWS FOR CALIFORNIA

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
cherry

BEST WINDOWS FOR CALIFORNIA

#1 Post by cherry »

We live in a 1972 home in Agoura Hills, California. Our home has the original aluminum windows + patio sliding doors which we would like to replace for better insulation and noise reduction. Our house sits on a hill where we get strong Santa Ana winds.

So far, we've received 4 bids from Pella, Simonton, Milgard and Unilux. The bids from Pella and Unilux were the highest while Simonton came in between and Milgard's was slightly lower than Simonton. We want low-maintenance and retrofit windows so we thought vinyl or fiberglass would be great choices. But, Pella salesman said that vinyl "expands" and becomes problematic in due time.

There are so many windows to choose from so I am hoping that your wisdom / input can direct me in narrowing down my choices. So far, I am leaning towards the Simonton brand, but would like to know if there are other window brands I should consider. We plan on staying in our home for a long time so we obviously want reliable windows and doors. I've read some of the previous topics with the pros and cons about Pella & Simonton's performance in the East Coast, but would like to know if those apply to California considering the climate, etc.

In essence, what window brands would you recommend in California?

FenEx

Responses

#2 Post by FenEx »

Cherry

A poster by the name EZ is the resident west coast expert on this site. Don't buy before you talk to him as he has much information to offer for your area. If he can't help you personally... I am certain he can point you in the right direction. You came to the right place.

FenEx

earwax

#3 Post by earwax »

Cherry,

Look at the Anlin window and the Polybau window. They are both very good. If they fiberglass window salesman said that the vinyl window will have problems in the future, ask him for some info on that, sounds like a bad sales pitch.

Milgard is a good company to buy from. Simonton is made in Vacaville up north from you. Their plant in the past has had problems, but the product design is good. I would look at the other two windows I mentioned above before making any decision though.

Venomboy

#4 Post by Venomboy »

I just got 12 Milgard Classic New Construction windows put in my house. I like them a lot. Big difference from the crappy dual pane aluminum windows I used to have.

cherry

#5 Post by cherry »

Thanks for the reply guys. An Anlin rep will be coming to my house next week. I called the 1-877-POLYBAU # but I get a disconnection message. Anyone else knows of an updated # for Polybau or a distributor near my area?

Venomboy - are you in Southland Ca? If so, which company did you use to install the Milgard windows?

Venomboy

#6 Post by Venomboy »

I'm in the Bay Area. I used a local guy that runs his own construction company. He purchased the windows through a local dealer in my town that also does retrofit installation. The dealer doesn't do new construction windows so he has a couple of contractors he refers customers to.

earwax

#7 Post by earwax »

Cherry,

I checked the Polybau number and it worked. Might want to try again. E-Z is a dealer for them in the Santa Rosa north bay area. He might be able to refer you to an installer down there too.

E-Z

#8 Post by E-Z »

POLYBAU'S # is 209-830-5170 They should be able to refer a dealer in So. California.

Get performance sheets for every window that you quote in your house and compare the stc ratings(for noise) and the Air Infiltration Ratings for uhhhh oh yeah air infiltration. Polybau, Simonton, Anlin, Milgard should perform around the same. Another big part of window replacement is the installation. To reduce draft the cavity between the aluminum frame and the vinyl should be insulated before triming with vinyl trim. I like to use minimal expansion foam for windows and doors, others like to use the good o fiberglass insulation. I like the foam because i can fill all the cavity and cover the aluminum frame to create a thermal break then trim it out with vinyl flat trim or jamb and case it in wood. One thing is for sure and it goes to all looking to change their windows.
THE POWER IS YOURS. :shock: Do your homework before hiring and comitting yourself. Do not rush into it.

Ask questions on installation methods, Check references, Check their license, insurances, BBB record and go for it.

GOOD LUCK
E-z

Santa Ana winds are no joke.

johnmr12

#9 Post by johnmr12 »

Hi Cherry, my name is John. I am a Certainteed and Polybau dealer in the southern California market. The following is my OPINION based on 18 years of replacement window experience. If you want to get the most value at the best price, with the smoothest transition from purchase to installation, do business with a dealer who does not have a sales staff. I understand that salesman have to feed their families like everyone else, but they feed their families at the homeowners expense. Now, im sure you are a kind hearted person Cherry, but if you were given the choice of spending 8K for new windows, or paying 12k so the salesman and his staff can feed their families, which would you choose? In addition, a salesman's top priority is getting you to sign a contract. After that, he moves on to the next sale. He passes you off to the installation dept. Many times the salesman and the installers speak different languages (figuratively, of course). That can lead to a lot of confusion and mistakes between the order and the installation. I'm going to go out on a limb and tell you the reason the Pella salesman told you to beware of Vinyl windows is because he doesn't get as big a commission on the vinyl. That's the only logical explanation for his comment, considering that about 90% of all replacement windows are vinyl. As far as brand goes, i would put the Certainteed line against any of the windows you mentioned. Yes, i'm a dealer, but i'm also a dealer of Superior window and Polybau windows. So, i don't have to try and sell certainteed. But i sell a heck of a lot of them, and i have very happy customers. If you would like a different experience, go to my website at www.how-to-install-windows.com and find the installation quote request form. Fill it out and you will be contacted in 24 hours. The gentlemen who comes to your home will not be a salesman. He will be able to answer all your questions and take precise measurements at the same time, because he is also the installer. You save on high commissions and you eliminate the high pressure sales tactics. And, you get to see why i sell so many certainteed windows and doors in Southern California. If you decide to shop elsewhere, never sign a contract with the salesman sitting there. Tell him you will think it over and get back to him. Good luck Cherry.
Learn how to install vinyl replacement windows. Visit http://www.how-to-install-windows.com.

bmorich

Windows in Southern California

#10 Post by bmorich »

Milgard has very good customer service, but you will need them a lot. We have the fiberglass Ultras and have not been happy with the quality. They say they've won a lot of awards for quality, but that must be for their vinyl windows. The fiberglass ones are a disaster.

best exteriors

Re: BEST WINDOWS FOR CALIFORNIA

#11 Post by best exteriors »

Solid advice above. The Anlin product has proven to be well regarded and functional.