Tax Credit Legislation

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Skydawggy.

Re: Tax Credit Legislation

#16 Post by Skydawggy. »

I agree too.

Interesting to note that not a single vinyl window manufacturer has ever run television or radio ads promoting their products that I can recall. With the exception of an occasional Pella or Andersen ad for wood windows, it doesn't seem to ever happen. Where are all the industry associations like WDMA and NARI on this topic? Why isn't anyone, other than the individual contractor, trying to get the message out to consumers? As I said upthread, why not use the tax credits to promote energy efficient products instead of bribing the consumer?

FenEx

#17 Post by FenEx »

Interesting points WOW and ECO: Bring it back to basic needs and solutions for your business's and your clients.

The market was beginning to show a flood of greenhorn pick-up trucks and new certification patches which scares the hell out of me too. I am working with the organizations that provide the patches to raise the requirements but they felt they needed to take certain actions for politcal approval of Home Star.

Homeowners just benefitted more than they know. A $50 bag of crap for $20 after a rebate is still... CRAP!

SuperiorW&D

#18 Post by SuperiorW&D »

EcoStar Windows wrote:I agree too.

Interesting to note that not a single vinyl window manufacturer has ever run television or radio ads promoting their products that I can recall. With the exception of an occasional Pella or Andersen ad for wood windows, it doesn't seem to ever happen. Where are all the industry associations like WDMA and NARI on this topic? Why isn't anyone, other than the individual contractor, trying to get the message out to consumers? As I said upthread, why not use the tax credits to promote energy efficient products instead of bribing the consumer?
I advertise on TV with the support (co-op) of the manufacturers. I get a "locally centered" (read that as MY FACE) message out to the consumer that a manufacturer can't do. It is cost effective for both of us as we get to share in the costs. The local Pacific NW vinyl window mfg's are happy to still be in business at this point.

Commercials produced by Andersen, Marvin and Milgard where local dealer info is tagged to the end are pretty mediocre at best. You might have heard them...and then forgot....they are that bad.

As for the WDMA, I can only speculate that their pockets are not deep enough. I appreciate their voice in DC even though I don't believe they have much leverage/pull at all.....at least they try.

If you'd like to see our commercials, 6 years worth can be found here: http://superior4windows.com/media.htm

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

FenEx wrote:Interesting points WOW and ECO: Bring it back to basic needs and solutions for your business's and your clients.

The market was beginning to show a flood of greenhorn pick-up trucks and new certification patches which scares the hell out of me too. I am working with the organizations that provide the patches to raise the requirements but they felt they needed to take certain actions for politcal approval of Home Star.

Homeowners just benefitted more than they know. A $50 bag of crap for $20 after a rebate is still... CRAP!
$100 Energy Audits.... :shock:

I have been into no fewer than 3 homes where the recommendation was to spray foam the gable vents because that was the source of the leakage and one of them was from a BPI auditor. :lol:

SuperiorW&D

#20 Post by SuperiorW&D »

SuperiorW&D wrote:If you'd like to see our commercials, 6 years worth can be found here................
A lot of hits on my commercials the past 24 hours! Enjoy?

Skydawggy.

#21 Post by Skydawggy. »

I thought some of them were pretty funny. How effective have they been?

toddinmn

#22 Post by toddinmn »

SuperiorW&D wrote:
SuperiorW&D wrote:If you'd like to see our commercials, 6 years worth can be found here................
A lot of hits on my commercials the past 24 hours! Enjoy?
I would expect some negative feedback on pimpin Atrium and Empire Pacific as the highest quality.These brands have not fared well on this site.I like the part about the windows paying for themselves in 4 years.

SuperiorW&D

#23 Post by SuperiorW&D »

EcoStar Windows wrote:I thought some of them were pretty funny. How effective have they been?
Since "the drop" in 2007 we'd been able to maintain ours sales figures with no further drops in 2008 or 2009.
For 2010 overall sales were up 25% - installed sales up 69%.
Much of that is attributable to those commercials.
TV is, imho, a cost effective customer acquisition tool.
Radio did not work...and print does not fit our business model (We do not offer "specials").

SuperiorW&D

#24 Post by SuperiorW&D »

toddinmn wrote:I would expect some negative feedback on pimpin Atrium and Empire Pacific as the highest quality.These brands have not fared well on this site.I like the part about the windows paying for themselves in 4 years.
We have different brands available on the left coast than you guys on the right. The Atrium Window up here in the Pacific NW is made here in the Pacific NW for the Pacific NW. In comparison to the other brands available here these ARE, in my opinion, some of the highest quality brands available.

I have Atrium windows and Empire Pacific patio sliders in my home. Installed in 2005. I could not be happier with their performance. Went from 3 cords of winter wood to 2 cords the first year. That is 33% energy savings.**

**Your mileage may vary.

toddinmn

#25 Post by toddinmn »

Are the windows in the East are of lower quality?They sell only single-hungs for your area?I found it interesting they have the tilt-n-turns,these are hard to find my area in vinyl.The local Silverline rep has silverline's in his house and the Norandex rep has Simonton's builder grade in his and they are both happy about it as well.As far as burning 2 cords vs 3 cords without knowing the varibles is meaningless.Windows paying for themselves in 4 years is a pretty strong claim.

Windows on Washington

#26 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:Are the windows in the East are of lower quality?They sell only single-hungs for your area?I found it interesting they have the tilt-n-turns,these are hard to find my area in vinyl.The local Silverline rep has silverline's in his house and the Norandex rep has Simonton's builder grade in his and they are both happy about it as well.As far as burning 2 cords vs 3 cords without knowing the varibles is meaningless.Windows paying for themselves in 4 years is a pretty strong claim.
Yes. Far too many variables and conditions to make this sort of statement.

Skydawggy.

#27 Post by Skydawggy. »

I can't think of a set of real world variables that would result in that much savings unless you purchased the windows for practically nothing and did the install yourself. But that's not what the claim is based on so I have to call BS on this one. In fact frankly it's companies that make claims like this that give this industry a bad name. That's why the A.G.'s in some States are beginning to sue these types of companies for their outrageous claims.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/uploadedFiles/Hom ... -05-26.pdf

http://www.atg.wa.gov/uploadedFiles/Hom ... eriors.pdf

http://www.atg.wa.gov/uploadedFiles/Hom ... plaint.pdf

http://blog.seattlepi.com/boomerconsume ... 220686.asp

HomeSealed

#28 Post by HomeSealed »

Superior, weren't you trashing PlyGem and others recently for making these energy-claims? :shock: ... I'm confused.

SuperiorW&D

#29 Post by SuperiorW&D »

HomeSealed wrote:Superior, weren't you trashing PlyGem and others recently for making these energy-claims? :shock: ... I'm confused.
Ply Gem in cahoots with Penguin were claiming "at least 40%" and that is not possible today with ANY window.

You guys can read into my remarks whatever you want. I gave a true account of MY energy savings and also said that YOUR savings will vary.

What I tell my customers is "in our area you should see a 15% energy savings". If you are replacing single glazed aluminum or wood with 30/30 windows 15% is not out of line. I also tell them that they could see more or less savings as every home is different. I also tell them that a lot of that energy savings is in the superior installation procedures we use today.

What do you guys tell your customers when they ask for an energy savings number?

SuperiorW&D

#30 Post by SuperiorW&D »

toddinmn wrote:Are the windows in the East are of lower quality?They sell only single-hungs for your area?I found it interesting they have the tilt-n-turns,these are hard to find my area in vinyl.The local Silverline rep has silverline's in his house and the Norandex rep has Simonton's builder grade in his and they are both happy about it as well.As far as burning 2 cords vs 3 cords without knowing the varibles is meaningless.Windows paying for themselves in 4 years is a pretty strong claim.
1 - I have been *assuming* that windows used in northern areas with heavy winters would be made differently than windows for southern areas with extremely hot summers. With that assumption in mind, and the knowledge that Atrium is a national company, I thought it pertinent to mention that the Atrium Window we represent is made in the Pacific NW specifically for our area. I hope you are not thinking that I am questioning the quality of East Coast windows in general.

2 - We sell casements and double hungs too.

3 - We also sell Milgard, Andersen, Ply Gem, Marvin, Integrity, International Window (but only in special circumstances as I don't feel it is as good as the rest), Mercer and Kolbe too. I would have loved to have Marvin or Kolbe windows in my home, but I just don't make that much money selling windows.

4 -Sorry if my personal experience with Atrium and Empire Pacific is off putting to some. Maybe I should have mentioned that my farwood is fully seasoned Madrone too. Fir/pine would have had different results.