Window Replacement Options in Houston

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Ranch1

Window Replacement Options in Houston

#1 Post by Ranch1 »

Recently moved into a 13 year old home in Houston. The original windows were builder grade aluminum windows. Our goal is to replace all of the windows and the selection criteria is:
1. Energy Efficiency
2. Appearance (both internal and external view)
3. Manufactured warranty
Our challenge is we have an assortment of window styles (single hung, single hung with an eyebrow, oval, fixed with an eyebrow, large fixed, etc) along with a range of window sizes (standard 36" X 72" single hung, to 42" X 84" fixed with eyebrow, 72" X 96" fixed, etc).

We have looked at the following vinyl manufacturers (all of the options proposed use of Cardinal Low E 366 glass)
1. Pella: proposed both vinyl and aluminum clad (lacked solution for a number of the windows)
2. Andersen Silverline: (was not impressed with construction of the window)
3. Maritech 450 Series: (included solution for all windows except for ovals)
4. Simonton Legacy Elite (proposed using multiple windows for the large openings - did not like this option)
5. Simonton 9800 and Profinish Builder Grade (use 9800 for standard windows and Profinish for larger shaped windows)
6. NT Windows - Energy Master (solution for all windows except ovals)
7. Home Craftman from Wonderful Windows (solution for all windows)
8. Showcase Windows (solution for all windows except ovals but not impressed with construction of the window)

A couple of people have mentioned the Don Young aluminum window but we have not looked at it yet.

Questions
1. We like the Simonton window, but have concerns with mixing different models from Simonton (9800 and ProFinish Builder series). How will this look with the windows side by side? Also, how is the quality of the Profinish Builder series?

2. The following vinyl manufacturers appear to provide a complete solution to our window needs. How would you rate these manufacturers:
- Maritech 450 Series
- Simonton 9800 and Profinish
- NT Windows
- Home Craftman
- Showcase

3. Is the Don Young 8200 series a valid option? How does it compare in strength and energy efficiency to the other manufacturers?

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Replacement Options in Houston

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Only one person I can recommend in Houston without even thinking twice.

Randy is far and away the best resource you have in Houston. Best products, product knowledge, installers, and techniques that are available to you.

Here is a link to a thread he is in and you can get his contact information by clicking on his name: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4158

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+ 1 on talking to Randy. I believe that he offers 1 or 2 of the products that you've mentioned, in addition to others. He'll be able to match your needs and budget to the best product available.

Allen

#4 Post by Allen »

I live in Pearland, TX, south of Houston and would like a recommendation on a "very" good contractor/installer for the Don Young 8200 Series Windows. I have (18) windows and I'm having a difficult time getting a quote. I see on this board that Randy is highly recommended. Could Randy or someone provide some assistance? Thanks

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why not just call Randy at Ultra Windows and see if he will come down to your neck of the woods. Certainly seems close enough.

Allen

#6 Post by Allen »

Thanks, I contacted Randy.