The dilema: Pella Impervia vs Gorell 5300. And now Jeld-wen?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
caseygree

The dilema: Pella Impervia vs Gorell 5300. And now Jeld-wen?

#1 Post by caseygree »

Howdy,
I've been lurking for some time now, but now it's come to decision time and I need some help. Here's the deal:

I've narrowed it to three quotes.
1.) 9 Gorell 5300 double hung, 3 sliders, 1 patio door
$10,000 installed
Installation details: minimal install as far as I can tell from a "window and siding" installer. No interior trem work included, "pop em out, pop em in". But, a trusted company nonetheless I think.

2.) Pella Impervia fiberglass
Same specs
$11,000 installed
Installation details: more in-depth install from a home builder in Lawrence KS (all interior trem re-stained, which it needs, more of a 'white glove' install)

3.) Jeld-wen Premium vinyl
Same specs
$9800 installed
Installation details: same as the Pella

All windows are white interior/exterior, some w grids, all double hung, double pane, Low E, Argon

I had picked the Gorell at first, but I am more confident in the contractor's workmanship. But unfortunately, can't afford best of both worlds (Gorell + the more inclusive contractor install).

At this point, I just want something that's goanna function (open/close with ease, good locks, energy efficient) and will look good installed. I'm aware of the vinyl vs fiberglass debates, and know everyone hates Pella (or so it seems) but would like to know what others would do in my situation.

thanks,
Casey
Lawrence KS

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: The dilema: Pella Impervia vs Gorell 5300. And now Jeld-wen?

#2 Post by masterext »

Hands down the Gorell. Believe it or not, Pella is not nearly as good as some think, its an average window
Pella vinyl is plain junk. If you want fiberglass you need to see Marvin Infiniti.

Shims

#3 Post by Shims »

masterext wrote:Hands down the Gorell. Believe it or not, Pella is not nearly as good as some think, its an average window
Pella vinyl is plain junk. If you want fiberglass you need to see Marvin Infiniti.
I saw the Pella Thermastar at in person at a home show. Just from looking at it it looks really cheap and ugly. They looked like they belonged in a mobile home.

buddy11

#4 Post by buddy11 »

I had a Pella Impervia in my hands this past week. It's God awfu,l ugly and cheap looking. The finish is a gel coat or cheap paint, I don't know which. The Gorell iks a superb window. I have not seen a Jeld Wen

caseygree

#5 Post by caseygree »

Thanks for the replies so far folks.

Anyone else want to chime in?

I'll see if Marvin is an option in my neck o' the woods.

thanks again,
Casey

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

caseygree wrote:Thanks for the replies so far folks.

Anyone else want to chime in?

I'll see if Marvin is an option in my neck o' the woods.

thanks again,
Casey
What neck might that be?

caseygree

#7 Post by caseygree »

Lawrence KS. About an hour W of Kansas City.

Just curious, we've been more inclined to go with the more comprehensive install, since he will re-stain all of our interior trim. But want to know, with a replacement window, is there any reason that the interior trim would even have to be touched if we decided to go the Gorell route with the less-intensive labor (i.e. no interior trem work)?

Thanks,
Casey

buddy11

#8 Post by buddy11 »

caseygree wrote:Lawrence KS. About an hour W of Kansas City.

Just curious, we've been more inclined to go with the more comprehensive install, since he will re-stain all of our interior trim. But want to know, with a replacement window, is there any reason that the interior trim would even have to be touched if we decided to go the Gorell route with the less-intensive labor (i.e. no interior trem work)?

Thanks,
Casey

Nope. The trim would stay intact with any insert.. If you want an Infinity quote, go to their website and find the dealer locater

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

If you really want the interior trim redone, you could always ask the Gorell dealer to quote it. It is the best choice by far. The Impervia is decent but not pretty and overpriced, and I don't like any of Jeldwens vinyl.

JScott

#10 Post by JScott »

I noticed you indicated stained trim. The Infinity Everwood option should be checked out. If the local dealer does not perform staining they can usually hook you up with a finisher. The 5300 is a good choice so far but you will loose 3 more inches of daylight width of your glass than with the Infinity. Buddy is right about the other fiberglass window you looked at. Us fiberglass professionals crinch with what that company promotes. But don't take my opinion, see for yourself.

:mrgreen:

TLHWINDOW

#11 Post by TLHWINDOW »

If worried about the frame, you could have the 5100 priced out. Thinner frame, still a double hung and about the same price as a 5300.

caseygree

#12 Post by caseygree »

Anybody know generally how prices on the Marvin Infinity compare to either Impervia or the Gorell?

Thanks,
Casey

buddy11

#13 Post by buddy11 »

more expensive than gorell. don't know about pella

caseygree

#14 Post by caseygree »

How about difference in both price/features between Marvin Infinity and Marvin Integrity? Is the Infinity more preferred, and if so, why?

I found a local company "who can get them" :)

Thanks again for all the help.

Casey

JScott

#15 Post by JScott »

A white Infinity double hung insert costs what a painted 5300 costs plus or minus $5.
The 5100 should be a half to full franklin below the 5300 installed.
The Integrity is a boyscout compared to an army of 1 in asthetics. They both have their specific niche to shine. The replacement market is where the Infinity shines.

...prices vary due to installation techniques, if your installers have paid health insurance, location, etc...JMOA :mrgreen: