Gerkin Vinyl Windows Reviews - Information?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
caseygree

Gerkin Vinyl Windows Reviews - Information?

#1 Post by caseygree »

Howdy,

figured I better start a new post to inquire about a specific brand...

Anyone know anything about Gerkin vinyl windows (comfort series) or have any reviews.

I know they are a smaller company (Nebraska), are known more for commercial aluminum, and there is very little 'customer generated' info about them online. Figured this would be the place to ask.

I can get them in my area, they have descent features, are competitively priced, and they look nice. Diamond in the rough??

Thanks,
Casey

JScott

Re: Gerkin vinyl windows?

#2 Post by JScott »

They have been considered a well respected company on the commercial side.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

There windows are pretty good but I have onyl dealt with there vinyl casements and there aluminum Rhino commercial windows.They are very limited on color and options and have longer lead times.There vinyl double-hungs are a little overpriced and there vinyl casements are a good value.I thought they were out of Iowa.If you can get a good price on them I would do it.

caseygree

#4 Post by caseygree »

Thanks JScott and Todd. Sioux City NE, not Iowa. I had to look twice :)

Well, since I can't find much information about Gerkin vinyl in-general, I've decided to research the components/features that I know from the brochure separately to see if, in theory, it sums up to a good window...

Here's what I'm finding (and corresponding questions as you might expect):

- multi-chambered, high-impact uPVC extruded vinyl construction: from what I can find, uPVC (unplasticized PVC) is better than normal PVC because it doesn't get as brittle, etc. with weather/age? Do most vinyl windows use uPVC and Gerkin is just calling it out?

- Duraseal(TM) insulated glass w/ Duralite(TM) "warm edge" spacer: from what I can tell, this spacer is comparable to the super spacer I hear so much about, and in some opinions, better? Either way, it's not an aluminum spacer.

- LoE3 (cubed) high-performance glazing: Cardinal Soft Coat/has good numbers (U .30, SHGC .22)

- Lotz o' weatherstripping (sash on all sides, including along the entire interlock) sloped one-piece sill,

- Aluminum reinforcement: Full sash perimeter and sill. I assume this is a plus? I've heard some argue that it only adds more metal to conduct, or that it's an easy way to make a flimsy window feel sturdy.

- AAMA tested/certified: has good air infiltration numbers (between .03 and .08). Again, much debated, but doesn't hurt the cause, I suppose.

The only thing I didn't really like on the sample unit I looked at was the tilt latches. Plastic and flimsy. Lock was a regular cam lock, which I assume is fine.

Would love to hear some other opinions if there are any, Gerkin in-general, or as it relates to any specifics that I've called out.

Thanks,
Casey

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I had to check to.They have a mailing address in Sioux City Iowa and a plant address in Sioux City NE listed on there web site.

caseygree

#6 Post by caseygree »

Heya Todd,

when you say their double-hungs are overpriced, in comparison to what? Overpriced for what you get? Overpriced compared to other makers?

thanks,
Casey

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Maybe it would be better to say that there casements are underpriced?A company that I install for typically will go with Soft-Lite on double-hungs and Gerkin on casements.
They prefer the Gerkins but for some reason their double-hungs are priced a bit higher then Soft-lite and their casements are a bit lower.The Soft-Lite also has more options as well.That being said I am not that familiar with their double-hungs.

caseygree

#8 Post by caseygree »

Low-and-behold, our install day has finally arrived.

Contractor dropped off our 15 windows and one slider today, and will begin installing tomorrow.

I've been lurking for long enough to know mostly what to look/watch out for, but any last minute suggestions for an install spectator?

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress, w/pics hopefully.

thanks,
Casey
Lawrence KS

P.S. For anyone in Kansas, we took advantage of the Efficiency Kansas program which helped us secure a no-interest, 15 yr loan that covered our energy updates (new furnace, AC, insulation, part of window costs). Program also got us an energy audit for $100, which helped us identify the best upgrades to make. Very cool, but not the quickest-moving process as you can imagine.

caseygree

#9 Post by caseygree »

Greetings all,

just wanted to post a quick follow-up and express how pleased I am with our new Gerkin windows. It's been 5 months, and they're as good as new (well, we let em get dirty, but so it goes... :)

Customer service has also been very helpful. We had one issue with a screen that was bent in transit. They have been very helpful in getting the issue resolved, and, every time I call, a HUMAN picks up the phone.

If anyone has any specific questions about this brand, please feel free to PM me here.

thanks,
Casey
Lawrence KS
Last edited by caseygree on Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thanks for the feedback.

You may want to redact your email from the thread. I think it is prohibited for information's safety.

You can edit your thread for an email notification when a response is posted and communicate with follow up posts when folks have questions.

BBQ Addict

#11 Post by BBQ Addict »

caseygree wrote:Greetings all,

just wanted to post a quick follow-up and express how pleased I am with our new Gerkin windows. It's been 5 months, and they're as good as new (well, we let em get dirty, but so it goes... :)

Customer service has also been very helpful. We had one issue with a screen that was bent in transit. They have been very helpful in getting the issue resolved, and, every time I call, a HUMAN picks up the phone.

If anyone has any specific questions about this brand, please feel free to PM me here.

thanks,
Casey
Lawrence KS
I am looking at windows in the Kansas City area, and just learned about Gerkin. Are you still happy with them?

caseygree

#12 Post by caseygree »

Yes, very much so.
We had a very good install experience as well, which I'm sure can make all the difference.
Very glad we chose these vs some very expensive alternatives.

Thanks and good luck!
Case

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Don't have much experience with the product, but that 4800 series looks pretty solid. Welded sloped sill with aluminum reinforcement is a novel feature. Numbers look decent with .05 AI. I'd be interested to see what type of u value they get with a less aggressive glass package than 366, although it may be better for KC than it is up here. I'd still prefer something with a little higher shgc though. Re: the reinforcement, sometimes it is used to make a flimsy window passable, while other times it makes a good window even stronger. Not sure which is the case here, although a a non- metallic material would have been preferable... Perhaps another pro with more experience with the product will chime in.

rmoyer81

#14 Post by rmoyer81 »

whats you're opinion on Gerkin windows after several years??