R-5 Dual Pane window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
steveyarbrough

R-5 Dual Pane window

#1 Post by steveyarbrough »

Is anybody building an R-5 dual pane window? I know PPG and Guardian both offer R-5 dual pane glass combos but I haven't found anyone using it yet. What is the word on this?

Windows on Washington

Re: R-5 Dual Pane window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are talking about COG (center of glass) or IGU numbers most likely if you are talking R-5 out of a double pane.

That data can start to get a bit confusing after time as customers are given random and incomplete information from companies all the time.

Guarding and Cardinal are two very good companies and are making very nice products these days.

SuperiorW&D

#3 Post by SuperiorW&D »

steveyarbrough wrote:Is anybody building an R-5 dual pane window? I know PPG and Guardian both offer R-5 dual pane glass combos but I haven't found anyone using it yet. What is the word on this?
I know of one manufacturer that has been working on one. They just got the NFRC testing done....and failed. Back to the drawing board for them.

We offer a triple glazed R-5. Finally this month they have started to take off (due to state of Oregon req's on low income housing weatherization). "Your tax dollars at work."

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

Yes it is currently available today but you will need to find German technology to accomplish a Uw to a .22 that is then rounded up based on the US R-5 definition. It is obtainable here in the US through channels just as a Uw of .13 is available with triple/argon LowE.

Poland has close numbers available but I am unsure of the orgin of their glass. They may be purchasing glass from Germany or may be licensing manufacturer agreements as Peachtree does. I am waiting on the new zo-e-5 extreme numbers now.

European: Ug= U of glass, Uw= U of window (so as not to confuse between the two).

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

There are actually a few double pane windows that do qualify for the R-5 program with a U-Factor of 0.22 on operators and 0.20 on fixed.

You contractor is BS'ing you if he is telling you that his window is an R-5 (i.e. U-Factor of 0.20) on a double pane and operator unit.

There is a window that I know of that should be getting released that will have a U-Factor of 0.22 in double pane argon and a triple pane unit that should have a U-Factor of 0.13/0.14 with argon.