Gorell 5300 vs. Great lakes Seabrook

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
serilium

Gorell 5300 vs. Great lakes Seabrook

#1 Post by serilium »

just curious but what are your guys opinions on which is a better window. The price is very close to one another 500-525 installed. Good warranties, both contractors have good ratings on Angie's list and the BBB.
What are the pro's and con's of each window?

buddy11

Re: Gorell 5300 vs. Great lakes Seabrook

#2 Post by buddy11 »

That's a no brainer. The Gorell is a much better window built by a solid company

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I wouldn't say it's such a drastic difference in product, but I'd agree with buddy that the Gorell is superior, and provided by a company that is far superior. I think that the Great Lakes looks better (than the 5300), but in terms of performance and every other category the Gorell wins. What options are you looking for? You might take a look at the Timeless series or the 5100 series which look nicer imo.

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

Having sold and installed both, and both are decent; however, the Soft-lite Imperial LS we have sold the past few years have received better post installation reviews from our customers and it is important to meet the homeowners expectations. Installation is key we have learned. Low expansion foam, shims, etc...are a must while many in our area do neither to cut cost or they are not as passionate. Short cuts that reduce quality are widespread and you can go 3-5 years before the expansion and contraction of vinyl lets you know through air leakage you got a poor install.

Portal Pro

#5 Post by Portal Pro »

The Gorell 5300 is the finest vinyl window design ever created. Very similar to the Vekaplast DH1WW fabricated by Alside as the Ultramax or Sheffield, Gorell rdesigned all the shortcomings. By changing the pocket sill to a sloped sill and moving the glazing beads to the exterior in addition to adding hollows in the extrusions, the Gorell will outlast pretty much everything on the market today. I've looked at Gorell 5300's that were installed 15 years ago and they look brand new and operate like a fine watch.

Skydawggy.

#6 Post by Skydawggy. »

While I think Gorell makes a pretty nice window, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the finest window ever designed. There are plenty of windows I would consider on par with Gorell and some I think are better looking.