What double hung vinyl window is best for reducing noise?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kam410kam

What double hung vinyl window is best for reducing noise?

#1 Post by kam410kam »

We have a feed mill/processor near our house. It is extremely loud and of course we notice it mostly at night. (we have to sleep in the basement most nights) I also work from home and it is down right annoying. I have researched loads of windows and believe the Milgard should work the best.

Yes, thanks we have filed a complaint with the Zoning Dept. and the mill is so old that the zoning rules do not apply. (grandfathered in clause) So, they can make all the noise they wish with complete impunity.

Skydawggy.

Re: What double hung vinyl window is best for reducing noise?

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

Why would you buy a house next to a noisy mill and then expect the govt. to shut it down to accomodate you? The mill was there before you were.

The Milguard Quietline would be a good choice if you are looking for maximum sound reduction.

You could also try here

http://www.soundproofwindows.com/technical.html

and here

http://www.monray.com/focus.htm

JScott

#3 Post by JScott »

I agree with eco.

kam410kam

#4 Post by kam410kam »

thanks eco. Believe that is still my first choice. Knew the mill was there but never heard any noise before we moved in and we visited our new house many times while under construction. We did not hear the mill begin "grinding" until 4 weeks after we moved in. We even talked with the neighbors before we signed the contract on the house. Our house sits up rather high; perfect for catching the noise. :cry:

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Milgard QuietLine is a very good window for STC concerns and can be outfitted in 3 different STC ranges.

Be cognizant of the fact that when you upgrade that window to something in the class of the QuietLine your walls and/or ceiling will now be the limiting factor in sound control.

You are going to need to look into some resilient channel and upgraded insulation in the attic.