Recommendations for replacement windows?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Confused in IN

Recommendations for replacement windows?

#1 Post by Confused in IN »

I recently moved to the Indianapolis area and purchased a home built in 2002. The Single Hung windows throughout the house are nearly useless. Recently, during an ice storm, the plastic film we placed over the windows to help keep drafts out bowed out so far it broke the seal. I would like to replace the windows with a quality Double Hung product but after looking at the various reviews posted on this web site, it makes me wonder whether such a thing exists?

Anderson, Marvin, and Pella are all brands that have name recognition but obviously many people who have purchased windows from these companies were not satisfied. In fact, it seems difficult to find any reviews that would instill confidence in making this purchase. Can someone recommend a high quality product that is energy efficient that I can expect to be satisfied with? Also, any recommendations regarding a reputable installer?

I have 13 single hung windows, two small picture windows, and a 5' slaiding pation door to replace... Obviously, I would prefer not to add the the list of dissatisfied individuals who reviewed various products on this website.

Thanks in advance...

Skydawggy.

Re: Recommendations for replacement windows?

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

I really don't know why you think a quality window doesn't exist. Some of the brands most of us on here agree we like are Sunrise, Softlite, Gorell, Okna and Simonton. In your area, most if not all of these should be available. There are other good quality windows but we are all pretty familiar with these brands and recommend consumers seek them out as they are generally safe bets.

As for finding an installer, I would ask friends and co-workers for a recommendation. You can also check resources like Angies List. Some have located a good contractor by clicking on the "Get Assistance" section of this website.

As you talk to window companies, please feel free to use this forum to check out the various recommendations or anything else you feel you want clarification on.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

You found an invaluable source of information is this board and its sister board: http://www.vinyl-replacement-windows.co ... /index.php

You are so far ahead of the average consumer with these two boards as a research tool. You will get a good product and installation if you put a little time into your homework.

You absolutely can get a fantastic product and installation if you educate yourself on the products and techniques.

Confused in IN

#4 Post by Confused in IN »

Thank you both for your responses. I will look carefully at the brands you have suggested and see which will work best in my circumstances.

I was not trying to imply that I think a quality window does not exist. I was looking at the various consumer reviews on the board and it seems that there are many individuals who were less than satisfied with the windows they purchased. That makes it challenging to feel confident that the decision you are making concerning an important home improvement is really going to meet the expectations you have when you make the decision.

So far, we have had Champion, Pella, Lowes, and Sears visit our home to discuss replacing the windows. So far it looks like we could have Pella Aluminum Clad Wood windows installed for about the same amount as the Champion or Sears vinyl windows. In many ways, I am attracted to the wood windows because they look nicer but I realize there is maintenance that has to be done on the wood windows that is virtually non existent for the vinyl windows. The other advantage to vinyl is the fact they will 'match' the other windows in the house until we can afford to have the rest replaced.

I need to keep in mind the reason for replacing the windows... to improve on the energy efficiency of our home. Right now, our utility bills are astronomical and who knows what will happen in the future.

Do you have any recommendations regarding glass packages? We had Low-E glass in the vinyl windows in our home in Denver and they really did make a difference; however, they have developed newer technology since 1996. I would prefer glass that will allow in a reasonable amount of Solar Heat Gain during the winter without driving up the cooling costs during the summer too high.

If you have other suggestions, please don't hesitate to offer them.

Skydawggy.

#5 Post by Skydawggy. »

I would encorage you to expand your search as Sears and Champion don't always offer the best value for your $$$$'s. Additionally, Lowes et al don't always offer the most advanced installation techniques. I would also do some research and find out what experiences others have had with Pella aluminum clad windows.

Generally, you will want low solar gain on the north, east and west elevations. The south elevations depend partially on the fauna. If you have a lot of trees there, typically I would recommend high solar gain. If none, probably medium solar gain would be best. When you talk to the window salesman, see if they bring up using the different glass packages. This will help you determine how knowledgable they are in designing the most efficient combination.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

I would get the windows you want and not worry about matching them to windows you are going to replace.I would suggest doing your own research on Low-E coatings and not leave it entirely up to the salesperson.There are a lot of variables in determining what is the best Low-E coating.You may be limited on these options depending on what window you choose as well.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

If your energy bills are astronomical, it is likely that you have other issues in your home besides the windows. You might consider getting an energy audit, that can identify all of the issues, that way you can systematically address all of your problems. Window replacement IS a good investment, however don't fall for a sales pitch claiming outrageous savings or that they will "pay for themselves" in energy savings.

Confused in IN

#8 Post by Confused in IN »

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

I have been trying to educate myself on window terminology and technology so that I can speak intelligently on the subject as well as select the best windows for my application.

I mentioned astronomical utility bills... We had an energy audit performed, although the weather on that specific day was quite temperate so it was difficult to identify cold and hot spots as easily. It was identified during the energy audit that our duct work in the attic area is leaking so they will be returning to address that issue later this month.

The windows in our home at the moment are builder grade single hung windows that appear to have about 3/8" spacing between the panes. I do not believe there is any low E coating on the glass and the seals at the window sill seem to allow quite a bit of air penetration. The sliding glass patio door seems to be a step up from the rest of the windows.

Based upon the recommendation of one of the responses, yesterday I was looking at the websites for the Sunrise, Soft-Lite, Gorell, OKNA, and Simonton windows. Today, I sent information for Sunrise and Gorell to contact me. Simonton has local dealers and I have called them for an estimate.

The comment about the different Solar Heat Gain values was interesting to me. Currently, we have a corn field behind our home which may be developed some day when the economy is better but I suspect that may not be for several years.

So, if I am understanding what I am looking for correctly, I am looking for a vinyl replacement window with the lowest U-Factor value possible with the lowest SHGC possible for the north and east sides of the house, (no windows on the west side of the house,) and a slightly higher SHGC on the windows for the south side of the house, correct? That seems counter intuitive?

Skydawggy.

#9 Post by Skydawggy. »

Why does it sound counter-intuitive? The U-factor on most windows does not vary much between a high solar gain window and a low solar gain one. If you put in nothing but low solar gain, you will end up with less solar heat coming through in winter, resulting in possibly higher heating bills.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

What area of the country do you live in?

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:What area of the country do you live in?
His name is Confused in IN, but perhaps he's trying to throw us off. :mrgreen:
Eco's advice is good. In your climate, generally the goal is to get a U-value as low as possible, and the SHGC as high as possible to allow passive solar heat in during the winter months. Typically, however, there is trade-off necessary between the two, that is why he specifically mentioned the South side as being more important to have a higher SHGC number as it is the "sunny-side" of the home. Other factors such as the design orientation of the home, landscape (ie: trees, other homes, etc) that affect how much sun hits your house are important considerations as well. In areas that don't see much sun, you will be better off going heavy on the u-value, with less consideration to the SHGC.

Confused in IN

#12 Post by Confused in IN »

I AM a master of diversion, (insert sinister laugh here,) however, not this time. I live in the Indianapolis area.

Perhaps I have the entire SHGC backwards? So, the scale is from 0 - 1.0 and the higher the number, the more solar energy it reflects? So when I was told to find windows with lower SHGC for the north, east, and west windows, it was to allow more solar energy enter the house. And the purpose of the higher for the south is to prevent solar energy from getting in?

Perhaps that's why it seems counter intuitive...

Skydawggy.

#13 Post by Skydawggy. »

The lower the SHGC, the less solar energy passes through. Where you live is a mostly heating dominated climate. Therefore you want as much winter heat gain as possible. Once the heat passes through the glass, most of it will stay ins.ide. That's why we are telling you to balance the U-factor and SHG. If you lived in Florida, my advice would be to get as low a SHG as possible. You always want as low a U-factor as you can get regardless of where you live.

Confused in IN

#14 Post by Confused in IN »

Okay, I think I've got it but I confess I am still confused... In one post, it provided this advice:

Generally, you will want low solar gain on the north, east and west elevations. The south elevations depend partially on the fauna. If you have a lot of trees there, typically I would recommend high solar gain. If none, probably medium solar gain would be best.

I would think I would want as high a SHGC on the north, east, and west as possible and medium on the south (so it doesn't allow too much light in during the summer.

Am I still missing the boat?

Skydawggy.

#15 Post by Skydawggy. »

Yes.