Simonton 9800 window quote

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kappen

Simonton 9800 window quote

#1 Post by kappen »

I've been getting some replacement windows priced out. I asked the guy doing the quotes if they use spray foam to insulate between the replacement window and the existing frame. He said he orders the windows foam wrapped and has had a lot better luck doing that then using spray in foam. Is this a valid alternative to spray in foam or should I press them to use the spray. The company has a very good rep in the area and they seem very knowledgable.

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton 9800 window quote

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would not press them to use something that they are not comfortable with, however, he is incorrect.

The foam collar on the window is mostly worthless at stopping air movement.

Skydawggy.

#3 Post by Skydawggy. »

Windows on Washington wrote:I would not press them to use something that they are not comfortable with, however, he is incorrect.

The foam collar on the window is mostly worthless at stopping air movement.
I agree but I wouldn't go so far as to saying the foam wrap is worthless. I'd rather have that than nothing.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I was referencing it in terms of stopping air movement.

All of my stuff comes with the foam collar as well but it is used mostly has a tool for the installers to hold the window in place (i.e. tension) and as a backstop to keep the foam from creeping all the way into the inside stop.

Skydawggy.

#5 Post by Skydawggy. »

I never order it with the foam strip because I pay an additional $7.00 per window for it. The foam is cheaper for me but then again we do tip to tip measurements.

kappen

#6 Post by kappen »

Well my house sit a top a bluff and gets hit with quite a bit of wind I'm concerned that the foam wrapping won't be enough to stop the wind from getting in.

Skydawggy.

#7 Post by Skydawggy. »

kappen wrote:Well my house sit a top a bluff and gets hit with quite a bit of wind I'm concerned that the foam wrapping won't be enough to stop the wind from getting in.
If you purchase a quality window and get a top notch install, you will not have to be concerned. You aren't going to get a breeze coming through as long as the windows are measured properly and sealed correctly. Yes, spray foam is preferable but whether your installer uses it or not should not be a deal breaker. You are much better off letting a good installer do his thing in a way he is comfortable and experienced at that in insisting he do something new. I would never want my house to be the one an installer learns a new technique on. Please don't let some of the "window techies" on here keep you from going with a good installer. I can assure you nobody means to do that.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Am I a window "techie" now? :lol:

A window can be just as easily sealed up tightly with caulk and backer rod as it can with injected foam.

Don't push the installer out of his comfort zone and if he is good, trust that the installation will be good. If you ask him nicely, most will accommodate but I would have a window installed by a capable installer without foam than a crappy installer with foam.

kappen

#9 Post by kappen »

So the window installer is here and I have a question. Is it normal pratice to trim the lip off of a vinyl window to make it fit? Also as a update I decided to go with the 5500's.

Skydawggy.

#10 Post by Skydawggy. »

I'm not sure what you are referring to? Can you be a little more specific about what you mean by "lip"? Are you talking about the nailing fin?

kappen

#11 Post by kappen »

Not a nailing fin that I'm aware of, they needed an extra 1/4" so they pulled the foam wrapping off and trimmed the edge of the window flush.

Skydawggy.

#12 Post by Skydawggy. »

It sounds as if they mis-measured the windows. They may have ordered exact sizes instead of tip to tip. I'm not exactly sure what they are doing here but normally you could try and cut the wood frame back a little depending on how much too wide the windows are. I don't want to be judgemental because I'm not 100% sure of what they are doing or why. Have you asked them?

kappen

#13 Post by kappen »

yes, they said that they were ordered to tight, the quote I have says they were sized tip to tip.

I'm also not saying he did anything wrong, he seems really knowledgable and did a great job on the alignment and caulking. I'm just wondering if the warrenty on the window might be voided now.

Delaware Mike

#14 Post by Delaware Mike »

On vinyl insert replacements such as the Imperial LS from Soft Lite there is a perimeter accessory groove that sticks out past the entire frame of the windows by about 1/8" on all sides. It is part of the extrusion, however it's removal if done with precision wouldn't cause any harm to the window. The exterior bottom groove shouldn't have to removed if the new window was being installed into a wood opening with an angled sill.

Other windows that have flush jambs such as a Sunrise product couldn't be modified in this manner without destroying the window. Not sure about how Simonton does their accessory groove if that's what we are talking about?