Excalibur vs Bainbrige vs Imperial LS quote help!

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
tru2it

Excalibur vs Bainbrige vs Imperial LS quote help!

#1 Post by tru2it »

Hello, everyone.

I'm replacing 17 builder-grade double pane windows, 1 picture window w/ a half-moon on top, and a sliding glass patio door in an end unit townhome in central maryland. I receive quotes from 4 local contractors and 2 national brand window professionals. My initial requirements were tilt-in double-hung windows with grids and screens, along with picture window and patio door that would meet the 2011 tax credit and the windows would have to be approved by AAMA and NFRC.

I was told by at least 4 of the companies that the picture window would count as 2 windows.

1st quote: 17 double hung Excalibur windows, with Low-e and Argon fill, aluminum spacers, capping of exterior; pic window and patio door $14,785

2nd quote: 17 double hung Metal Industries windows, with Low-e and argon fill, aluminum spacers; pic window and patio door $11,829.
2nd quote: 17 double hung Viwinco windows, w/ Low-e and Argon fill, aluminum spacers for $12,249.

3rd quote: 17 double hung Castle windows, w/ Low-e and Argon fill, aluminum spacers, capping of exterior; pic win and patio door $11,490.

4th quote: 17 double hung Soft-lite Bainbridge; w/ low-e, argon fill, solarban sb70xl, super spacers, capping of exterior; pic win and patio door includes solarban sb70xl $11,115.

5th quote: 17 double hung Soft-lite Imperial LS; w/ low-e argon fill, solarban sb70xl, super spacers; pic win (solarban sb70xl) and patio door $12,500.

6th quote: 17 double hung Champion windows, w/ low-e and argon fill, aluminum spacers, capping exterior; pic win and patio door $12,421.

I really disregarded the first 2 quotes. I didn't pay much attention to the first company because the Rep stated he didn't know what the NFRC is or what it does. The company that provided quote #2 was at my home 30 minutes and didn't provide a sample window for the quotes. I also got a weird vibe from him too.

I hope you all can assist me with making a sound decision based on the quality of the windows and the options provided with them. The prices are really close to each other, but I thought it may help with your guidance to me.

Thanks.

Skydawggy.

Re: Excalibur vs Bainbrige vs Imperial LS quote help!

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

The Soft-lite Imperial LS would be my choice. Not only is it the best performing window in that group, that's a really decent price, too.

tru2it

#3 Post by tru2it »

Thanks for the info, EcoStar.

I forgot to add that Champion brought up a valid point that I forgot to ask the other contractors. The Champion Rep asked if the quotes I received included any repairs to damaged caused by the elements prior to the windows being replaced. I never thought about what happens if the old windows are removed but the frame is rotted. So, I'm going to ask the Rep from the other contractors whether they would repair any damages prior to installing the new windows and at what cost.

Skydawggy.

#4 Post by Skydawggy. »

Unless a few of the contractors who looked at the job commented about the possibility of rotted wood, I wouldn't be too concerned. It may just be a scare tactic the Champion salesman is using to try and convince you the other contractors will pump up their price by using change orders. That's a pretty old tactic. Most of the time it's possible to see rotted wood when doing the initial estimate. Not always, but usually.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

you made a smart move by disregarding the first 2 quotes. excalibur and metal industries are poorly designed and meant for "the house flipper" as far as i'm concerned; low quality windows with flimsy designs.
that is a very low price for the imperial LS. thats also the best window out of the group.

tru2it

#6 Post by tru2it »

masterext wrote:you made a smart move by disregarding the first 2 quotes. excalibur and metal industries are poorly designed and meant for "the house flipper" as far as i'm concerned; low quality windows with flimsy designs.
that is a very low price for the imperial LS. thats also the best window out of the group.
Thanks for the reply, Masterext.

I'm actually concerned about the quote to be honest with you. From what I've been told, many of the homeowners close to me have expressed their dismay at the price. I've been told by several folks in my community that I wouldn't receive a quote below $14-15K in their opinion; but most of my quotes are under that amount. So, I'm a little perplexed and I don't want to "get what I pay for" when it comes to paying for a "cheap" job. I've tried to find out as much about the installer as possible, but I haven't found anything substantial yet. I wasn't provided any references so I'll contact the Rep in regards to that tomorrow morning, along with anything else I can think of.

Skydawggy.

#7 Post by Skydawggy. »

Definitely get the references and then call them. Might want to ask if they mind if you come by and examine the workmanship. You don't have to be an expert to observe whether the caulking looks professional and if the window has a professionally installed look. I would also check with the BBB and Angies List just so you have as well a rounded perspective as possible. May want to ask for any professional associations too.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

When comparing quotes make sure to compare all of the details of the windows and install.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

tru2it

there is a respected professional on this board who i think may serve your area;
" windows on washington" . he offers some of the best products and his installs are second to none. he's also a nice guy and will actually walk you through the whole process. there should be a quote button next to his name, click it and that should get you in contact with him. at least with him you know you are getting a high quality product and the installation will be done correctly. i am always hesitant about recommending other contractors, he is definitely the exception.
go to the link below and you will see his posts..
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4468

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

You need to talk to Windows on Washington if you are in his service area. I'm positive that his level of knowledge will blow away anyone that you've spoken to at this point....Out of the choices that you have so far, the two Softlite models are the only products worth serious consideration imo. The LS is the best of the bunch.

buddy11

#11 Post by buddy11 »

HomeSealed wrote:You need to talk to Windows on Washington if you are in his service area. I'm positive that his level of knowledge will blow away anyone that you've spoken to at this point....Out of the choices that you have so far, the two Softlite models are the only products worth serious consideration imo. The LS is the best of the bunch.

+1 He can be found in this thread. Just click the "get a quote" button under his name...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4468

tru2it

#12 Post by tru2it »

To be honest with you all, I'm not to sure about asking anyone for a quote from this website. I had a really bad experience with the Castle Window Rep, which I received by clicking "Get Assistance." The guy came into my home and would have stayed for about 3 hours if I let him. Additionally, the Castle Rep started his initial proposal at $20K before dropping it significantly to $11,490. I can appreciate anyone wanting to receive work, but going from $20K to $11K just to win a bid is ridiculous to me. The guy stated I had to sign before he left or I would have to pay the $20K price later. So, I'm a little concerned about asking for quotes here, but I appreciate the advice on which window provides the best bang for the buck based on quality and energy efficiency. It seems the consensus is to stay with the 2 Soft-lite quotes.

The local guy who provided the Bainbridge quote will come back out to provide me a quote for the Imperial LS as well. I will get a chance to compare both samples this time. Initially, I only asked to see the Barrington and Bainbridge model, but the local guy told me he thought the Barrington wasn't a window he would feel comfortable with installing in anyone's home.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ha! :lol:

If you want a quote from me I am happy to provide you with one.

I assure you that I could not provide you with a 3 hour quote if we watched a movie in the middle. I can likely discuss the project with you over the phone and hammer out some numbers based on the information and amount of detail you can provide.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

tru2it wrote:To be honest with you all, I'm not to sure about asking anyone for a quote from this website. I had a really bad experience with the Castle Window Rep, which I received by clicking "Get Assistance." The guy came into my home and would have stayed for about 3 hours if I let him. Additionally, the Castle Rep started his initial proposal at $20K before dropping it significantly to $11,490. I can appreciate anyone wanting to receive work, but going from $20K to $11K just to win a bid is ridiculous to me. The guy stated I had to sign before he left or I would have to pay the $20K price later. So, I'm a little concerned about asking for quotes here, but I appreciate the advice on which window provides the best bang for the buck based on quality and energy efficiency. It seems the consensus is to stay with the 2 Soft-lite quotes.

The local guy who provided the Bainbridge quote will come back out to provide me a quote for the Imperial LS as well. I will get a chance to compare both samples this time. Initially, I only asked to see the Barrington and Bainbridge model, but the local guy told me he thought the Barrington wasn't a window he would feel comfortable with installing in anyone's home.
:shock: ..... I guess I would be a little gunshy in that case as well. The difference between the "get assistance" feature and contacting one of the board contributors is that you can look at all of their posts to see what they are all about. I highly encourage that you give that a shot. The reason that most of us pros post on these forums is because we have a sincere desire to help educate consumers and let them know that there indeed ARE other options than the high pressure sales-guys or the $189 guys... Just my $.02. :D

Wolfman Jack

#15 Post by Wolfman Jack »

Tru2it --- You can feel completely confident dealing with WOW. His company will be doing an install for us in a couple of weeks, and during our previous meetings and conversations we've found him to be extremely knowledgeable and forthcoming. He's a straight shooter with a solid reputation.