New Windows in Mississippi

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Rewind

New Windows in Mississippi

#1 Post by Rewind »

Howdy all. I've been lurking around and have found a great deal of information here........thank you!!

I'm about to replace 16 windows in my house. I've gotten quotes from 3 different company's and need some advice on the quality of these brands.

Quote #1 was for Viewpoint 3000 series by Norandex for $7200

Quote #2 was for Gorell 5100 series for $10,500

Quote #3 was Sears for (hold on to your pants) $16,000.

I've basically thrown out Sears because from what I've seen their windows are not that different than the others.......especially not for the 16k they want. The contractors for #1 and #2 have come highly recommended, so I'm not worried about the installation.

So I guess what I'm asking is comparing the quality of the Viewpoint vs. Gorell. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Skydawggy.

Re: New Windows in Mississippi

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

Gorell is the better window. The question is it worth spending an additional $200 per window over the Viewpoint. I'd probably get at least 2 more estimates on different brands fron different dealers just to be sure you are getting the best value for your money.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I agree. Gorell is absolutely the better window. Simonton's 9800 should be available in Mississippi, since Okna, Sunrise, and Soft-lite are not. While it's not in the upper tier of windows, I'd put it above the Norandex window.

Rewind

#4 Post by Rewind »

I checked and the company that gave me the quote on the Viewpoints also carries the Simonton's How do they rate vs the Gorell's? Also the home was built in the 40's or 50's if that makes a difference.

Randy

#5 Post by Randy »

I think Simonton 5500 & 9800 are comparable to Gorell.

Skydawggy.

#6 Post by Skydawggy. »

I agree. Simonton makes a very nice window.

Rewind

#7 Post by Rewind »

#2 contractor (above) also carries a brand called Krestmark..........how good are they?

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

Krestmark is not in the same league at all, it's a low quality vinyl window. The Viewpoint 3000 would be a better option than the Krestmark by far.

Rewind

#9 Post by Rewind »

Thanks for the info. I'm going to day to look at the Viewpoints and the Simontons in person. What should I look for?

Rewind

#10 Post by Rewind »

Ok...........so now I've looked at Sears (Wincore?), Gorell, Viewpoint, and Simonton and quite honestly I cant see alot of difference between them. Mostly just subtle differences on the outside and some differences in the spring (lifting) systems.

I did not like the screens on the Simonton's. They are held together at the corners with plastic joints and the cord holding the screen in is facing outside.

Speaking of screens.............should I go with half or whole screens? Pros/cons?

Again I ask what should I look for when looking at the windows?

Being that there is almost $3000 difference between the Gorells and the Viewpoints, I"m really leaning toward the Viewpoints. Also the Viewpoints have a lifetime warranty on the whole window, and the Gorells only have a 50 year warranty on the glass and working parts.

Of course right now plastic sheeting and duct tape would be better than what I have now!!! :lol:

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

rewind: do you realize what you just said about the warranties? Gorell only has a 50 yr warranty on glass (non-prorated, including breakage)? .... The odds that you will still have that home in 50 years or that any window would not be in need of upgrade by then are zero....... To choose, take a look at some of the smaller details. How smoothly does it operate, how tight are the tolerances (try shaking the sash side to side in the frame to see how much slop there is), look at the weatherstripping paying close attention to the sash meeting rail, look at the sill dam (is it mortised into the frame), look at how clean the welds are, look at the sill (it should be sloped with no weep holes, but not super flimsy either), when you close the lower sash does it drag the top one down with it, look at the quality of the hardware (locks, latches, etc).... That should get you a better idea of quality vs not. 8)

Bill

#12 Post by Bill »

The Simonton sample you were looking at had the old screens; the new screen does not have the plastic corners and the spline faces the inside.

This new screen is standard on the 5500 & 9800, the 5050 & 5300 can be upgraded to the new extruded screen.

Below are pictures of the old & new screen, the picture will enlarge if you click on it.

New Extruded Screen

Old Extruded Scree

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

Looks more gooder! :D

Rewind

#14 Post by Rewind »

HomeSealed wrote:rewind: do you realize what you just said about the warranties? Gorell only has a 50 yr warranty on glass (non-prorated, including breakage)? .... The odds that you will still have that home in 50 years or that any window would not be in need of upgrade by then are zero....... To choose, take a look at some of the smaller details. How smoothly does it operate, how tight are the tolerances (try shaking the sash side to side in the frame to see how much slop there is), look at the weatherstripping paying close attention to the sash meeting rail, look at the sill dam (is it mortised into the frame), look at how clean the welds are, look at the sill (it should be sloped with no weep holes, but not super flimsy either), when you close the lower sash does it drag the top one down with it, look at the quality of the hardware (locks, latches, etc).... That should get you a better idea of quality vs not. 8)

Thanks for this!!! This is the kind of info I need!!!

And Bill thanks for clearing up the issue with the Simonton screens.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

My pleasure. :) It is easy to get caught up in small differences in numbers, and while they can be telling, they certainly are not the "whole story".