Norco Windows Repair Lawsuit Warranty

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jhelton

Norco Windows Repair Lawsuit Warranty

#1 Post by jhelton »

We have Norco Windows, aluminum clad wood windows. They are approximately 19 years old. The seal has failed between the glass on several of them. Can the glass be replaced without replacing the whole widow, is it covered under warranty? I also hear something about a lawsuit that involved a similar failure.

Windows on Washington

Re: Norco window repair

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Technically speaking...yes. Is it a worthwhile investment to just replace the glass at the expense that you will likely incur to have an antiquated technology window...probably not.

If you are just looking to clean up the fogginess, there are companies that drill holes in the IGU (insulated glass unit) and clean out the discoloration and moisture.

JScott

#3 Post by JScott »

20 yr seal warranty for Norco windows. Call 1-800-Jeld-Wen.

rscbrowland

#4 Post by rscbrowland »

Would like to know what you find out. Just purchased a home built in 2004 with NORCO Windows - the caulking inside the sealed panes on most had 'melted' and pooled in the bottom of the glass and several seals have failed. I located the current warranty from JELD-WEN but it appears to only apply to the original purchaser. I'm going to try and make a claim regardless and if they refuse, I'll go to ever site I can find and create bad-will for them. It is unacceptable that their product has failed in this fashion.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

rsc, I am afraid that your efforts to create "bad-will" may be ineffective, for the fact that they already enjoy a rather dubious reputation. :mrgreen: Here in WI, I think that we have replaced more Norco windows than any other brand.

beaver

#6 Post by beaver »

rscbrowland wrote:Would like to know what you find out. Just purchased a home built in 2004 with NORCO Windows - the caulking inside the sealed panes on most had 'melted' and pooled in the bottom of the glass and several seals have failed. I located the current warranty from JELD-WEN but it appears to only apply to the original purchaser. I'm going to try and make a claim regardless and if they refuse, I'll go to ever site I can find and create bad-will for them. It is unacceptable that their product has failed in this fashion.
Did you not have a home inspection done before you closed on the home? The inspector should have noted the problems with the windows and the previous owner could have made a warranty claim. As you stated, the warranty was to the original owner and you are not covered.

bsklarsky

#7 Post by bsklarsky »

rscbrowland wrote:Would like to know what you find out. Just purchased a home built in 2004 with NORCO Windows - the caulking inside the sealed panes on most had 'melted' and pooled in the bottom of the glass and several seals have failed. I located the current warranty from JELD-WEN but it appears to only apply to the original purchaser. I'm going to try and make a claim regardless and if they refuse, I'll go to ever site I can find and create bad-will for them. It is unacceptable that their product has failed in this fashion.
The norco windows in my home purchased new in 2004 are failing also. They are leaking. Some worse than others. My contractor thinks it is a design defect in this norco C series window. Jeld-win seems to be offering a touch up fix. Any info on norco window design defects?

Kchiu

#8 Post by Kchiu »

Jeld Wen offer the solution:
1) caulk the corner where the 2 weather stripe kiss each other.
answer: does not work, because the opening is too big, and the weather stripe is defective.
2) pay Jeld Wen for the new weather stripe.
answer: does not work, very difficult to replace the weather stripe and still not working because the problem is the bottom sash. it is designed like the door. if you open the window, or remove the window. underneath the opening/closing arm, you will see there is no bottom block for this window. when you close the window, it is just like the way you close the door with the bottom weather stripe. the window bottom design is the problem for this Norco window. a lot of people complaint, and a lot of people filed law suit against Norco. that is why they sell the company to Jeld Wen.

if you go to the home depot window show room, Jeld Wen still selling this kind of window line with just a little bit improvement. they still do not get it. we spent so much money to buy a house. the window cost a lot of money to replace. ($400 each X 25 windows in my home)

please stop looking for repair solution or norco windows, just google anybody win any law suit againt Norco or Jeld Wen
Kevin

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

At $400 a window you could find yourself in the same kettle.
To get a very good product and install I would say $500 to $700 is the resoable range to pay. White vinyl DH, dual pane low e argon, lifetime warranty, .26 U, <.05 AL, low expansion foam, etc.
the window nerd