how to remove brick mortar from windows without scratching?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Steve G.

how to remove brick mortar from windows without scratching?

#1 Post by Steve G. »

I was warned by someone in the past not to let bricklayers remove the dried-on mortar which inevitably gets splattered on windows during the bricklaying phase of a new construction project -- as they are not careful and often scratch the glass in the process. However -- I forget how they told me to remove it.

Sure enough, our windows and window frames have lots of dried on mortar clumps. How should these be removed, such that the glass does not get scratched? I briefly considered using that muriatic acid that the bricklayers use, but I decided that would not be a good idea. Any suggestions?

Steve

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Steve, the best cleaning solution is a flat blade razor knife for the glass. Just lay it flat on the glass and scrape off the old mortar. Be careful not to nick the vinyl. Next go into the wifes kitchen and grap one of those green scouring pads she uses on pots and pans. You can get the one thats all green or the one with the soft yellow sponge on one side. The green side will buff your vinyl like new. Just scrub off the mortar and any other marks you see. Stay away from the glass!!! Make sure you tell the wife you took her scouring pad. She may give you the El Kabong with a pan if you don't!! For stubborn stains a little mineral spirits will knock it down. Just a little though. Good block layers put plastic around the windows to prevent this. Slap them boys!!!

Oberon

Cleaning glass

#3 Post by Oberon »

Steve,

As a follow up to Guy's recommendation, I would recommend using alcohol with the flat blade knife to lubricate the glass and blade as you scrape. Use only short, relatively gentle strokes and then only one way, Do Not scrape back and forth...push the blade forward, but do not drag it back.
And ensure you wipe the blade clean often (but be careful, those blades are sharp!)...
And change the blade often as well. A sharp blade will not scratch the glass, but a dull blade, or a blade with trapped particles adhering to it, will scratch the heck out of the glass.

Good luck!

Steve G.

Thanks Guy and Oberon...

#4 Post by Steve G. »

Guy --

I have fiberglass frames; will the mineral spirits idea work on fiberglass as well?

Also, maybe I'll get my wife's frying pan that you mentioned, and give the bricklayers the "El Kabong" for not covering the windows with plastic!! :wink:

Oberon --

Thanks for the additional info. I'll try the alcohol with the razor blade.

Thank you, gents.

Steve

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

Steve, I'm not sure on fiberglass. We don't use them here often in MN. I would check with the manufacturer. I thought you had vinyl. Sorry about that. I would then have the concrete guys do the labor part to clean them off. It shouldn't be your responsibility to clean them!!

Guy

FenEx

#6 Post by FenEx »

Steve

Spend all of your available cash on chromed automotive accessories. Next, lose your calendar reminding you of anniversaries and birthdays. Thirdly, invite all you buddies over often to watch sporting events and be sure to leave Dorito crumbs all over the comforter made by your mother-in-law.

oops... wrong page... this is how to remove a wife... not mortar... sorry

Guy

#7 Post by Guy »

LMAO Fen, that's a good one!!!