what could the problem be?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
spinout

what could the problem be?

#1 Post by spinout »

we have 4 eggress windows that don't insulate well at all. i have no idea of the brands, they vary from buying off craig's list. we were building a new house and all i could see was the savings. anyway, i don't feel any type of draft, there is no moisture between panes, no frost on the inside, but it's cold around the windows. i can put a thermometer on the window sill and it'll read 59 when just a couple feet away it's 70.
now, i did install these myself so that could be the problem. but is it more likely that the windows are crappy as far as design/construction, or more likely that the install is bad? i have expanding foam all around windows and have caulked all around exterior trim. i know, it's probably a scenario you'd have to see to decide, but i know it's insulated around the windows, so it shouldn't be so cold right next to them.

if it's the windows, can you recommend a decent window with a wood interior? i want little to no maintenance exterior, but i'd like it to be a wood interior.....unless that style is double the price of a quality vinyl window. alot of the better brands i've been reading about on here are mainly vinyl....simonton, soft-lite, gorell.

and lastly, is there a video tutorial somewhere on how to install basement windows? i think i did most everything right, but like most other things i've done, i probably missed something.

thanks.

and i'm in nw missouri if that makes a difference

Windows on Washington

Re: what could the problem be?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Does the window have Low-e/Argon? Double pane or triple?

A 59° surface temperature out of a piece of glass is not going to be that bad and even in the case of a really good double pane, the R-Value is about 4 whereas the R-Value of the wall should be somewhere north of R-10.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

If you are looking for a "video tutorial" on installing basement windows, you will be back here asking why your new basement windows are drafty.
I am pretty sure your lack of expertise in window installations as well as poor quality windows you purchased are what's causing the problems.
I would hire a professional who knows what he is doing and look for the brands you mentioned; gorell or soft lite. I guarantee you will be saving alot more than doing it yourself.

beaver

#4 Post by beaver »

I agree with WoW, that temperature differential does not seem that out of the ordinary. What was the outside temperature when you took the readings? The area around the window is naturally going to feel cooler than more to the center part of the room. The windows are (no matter how good) the weak link in your wall construction. Do you have blinds,shades,heavy draperies covering the windows? If so, try opening them to allow the warmer air to help raise the glass temperature.

spinout

#5 Post by spinout »

the 4 windows in question are eggress windows that are down in a window well. i also have a marvin window that's in the walk-out wall (still concrete wall) and it'll only have a 4 or 5 degree drop when i put the thermometer on it's sill. that window is also exposed to any and all weather, the other 4 aren't affected by wind at all. that's why i'm thinking it's a window problem more than anything else. i know all the windows are double-paned, but i don't know about any other features.

is installing in a concrete wall really that much of a trick? if so, how will i know if the paid installer is doing it right?
and, is there a page on this site with links to good installers in all areas? (st.joseph, MO in particular)

we do have wooden blinds on the windows and they get opened during the day, but the thermometer doesn't notice any difference.