New Construction Windows suggestion

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
KidHorn

New Construction Windows suggestion

#1 Post by KidHorn »

I live in maryland and am looking for 5 windows for a new first floor room addition. I'm interested in vinyl single hung windows. I'm considering Simonton ProFinish Brickmould 600 from a local dealer and American Craftsman 9500 from Home Depot. The windows would be installed by my GC, so I just need windows. I'm looking at roughly 36"x60", tan, low-E3-366, double strength glass.

The Simonton would run about $1750 for 5 including shipping and taxes. The AC would run about $1325 and I would have to pick them up (Not a huge deal, but having them delivered to my house is a plus). Obviously all things being equal, I would opt for the AC.

I couldn't tell much a of a difference between their display units. Both looked solidly built, glided easily and looked good.

One thing that frustrates me is it seems like most windows are only sold to installers, so it's not easy to buy them as an individual for someone else to install.

Any suggestions as to why I should get one over another?
Any other suggestions?

TLHWINDOW

Re: New Construction Windows suggestion

#2 Post by TLHWINDOW »

The 9500 AC is a replacement window (AC is just another name for SilverLine), and although can be used for new construction, make sure you get the nailing fin to go with it. The downfall of the add on nailing fin is that your installer has to make sure they (because usually the factory does not do this) caulk the seams of the fin before they tape the fins. Otherwise you may develop leaks down the road.

The Simonton Pro is a nice window for a new construction window and has a built in fin, so no leak worries on that part.

I'm not going to knock the AC completley as I have plenty that don't have any problems after being installed for years, but against the Simonton, the Simonton wins due to build quality, and warranty as the American Craftsman warranty is non transferable unless Home Depot is backing it.

I sell both and if money was not the issue I'd opt for the Simonton's over the AC.

KidHorn

#3 Post by KidHorn »

You're right. The 9500 is replacement. The guy at HD was wrong. I think the 3900 series is the comparable new construction line. That's good news since new construction typically costs a little less.

TLHWINDOW

#4 Post by TLHWINDOW »

I'd bet you save about $25 a window.

beaver

#5 Post by beaver »

The AC 3900 is a double hung if I am not mistaken. The AC 2900 is a single hung. I would opt for the Simonton either way vs. trying to save a few dollars. Just a much better window. Silverline is known for poor quality at a low price. Their are plenty of good windows available through smaller building supply companies or local lumber yards which individuals or contractors have access.

KidHorn

#6 Post by KidHorn »

I got a quote from a nearby building supply store for a double hung contractor grade Simonton for $219 plus tax(6% in MD). It's 36x60, tan with lowE softcoat, Argon, double strength glass, no grill. Pickup in a couple of weeks at their store.
http://www.simonton.com/Products/_Produ ... &i=215&wbs

Seems like a good deal to me.

I called Simonton and they said I shouldn't get the brickmould unless i'm installing over brick, which i'm not. They said the contractor grade is basically the same as the master grade except the master has a stronger frame.

4 of the 5 windows are going on a wall with 2x6 joists. It's a 24' long wall with a cathedral ceiling. I don't know if I need a special frame or buck for this or if the builder will nest a 2x4 frame inside the 2x6 joists. I don't know what code says about this. Anyone know what the national standard is for this?

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

A few points:
1) there is a board pro here called Windows on Washington that may serve your area in MD. I'm not sure if he sells windows "cash and carry", but it worth looking into as he has premium products available.
2) your windows will get jamb extensions in the 2 x 6 walls. This is pretty standard stuff.
3) whoever is installing these windows for you should know this. Based on the fact that you asked that question, I'd highly recommend consulting (if not hiring) a professional on this project. Between, ordering, measuring, etc, you could literally waste thousands of dollars if you don't know what you are doing...
I know that may sound a little harsh, but I've seen some pretty disastrous situations.

KidHorn

#8 Post by KidHorn »

HomeSealed wrote:I'd highly recommend consulting (if not hiring) a professional on this project. Between, ordering, measuring, etc, you could literally waste thousands of dollars if you don't know what you are doing...
I know that may sound a little harsh, but I've seen some pretty disastrous situations.
I hired a general contractor. They want me to select the windows and buy them and they'll install. I'll get their OK before buying anything.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

KidHorn wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:I'd highly recommend consulting (if not hiring) a professional on this project. Between, ordering, measuring, etc, you could literally waste thousands of dollars if you don't know what you are doing...
I hired a general contractor. They want me to select the windows and buy them and they'll install. I'll get their OK before buying anything.
Be prepared to personally deal with any window problems further down the road. It will be up to you to diagnose problems and deal with the factory reps who will try to blame the installers and void your warranty. It will be 100% up to you to try to get warranty parts/windows and install them properly. That is the normal scenario when not hiring a window company and just hiring a general contractor for labor only. When the job is done, so are they.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Window4u has good points...
If you insist on working with a gc, I would insist that they purchase, install, and be responsible for the windows. If you take on any of that responsibility, you could easily be left holding the bag... I had a cash and carry client within the past year that ordered a house full of new construction windows from me. His "contractor" hacked up the snap in nailing flanges, which incidentally had a custom color, so it cost him a substantial chunk of $ to reorder them... And this was a "best case" scenario, as he did not even have to reorder a single window, yet he was still out several hundred dollars.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There are good GCs that can handle this for you. Hopefully you have one.
As HS has suggested it would be best to have the GC buy the windows so that you have that liability covered, even if he charges you 5 - 10% to run it through his books.