Harvey agaist American Jewel Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kusaksizyan

Harvey agaist American Jewel Windows

#1 Post by kusaksizyan »

I am indecisive between Harvey Tribute windows and American Jewel Windows

Which window has better quality to use longtime?

Windows on Washington

Re: Harvey agaist American Jewel Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Harvey is probably a bit more well regarded by most of the folks that I know.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

i am not a fan of either due to the overall lack luster design . Harvey tribute has very thin walls and i believe a relativley high air leakage rate. iamerican jewel is just flimsy.
i would suggest looking at much higher quality windows that you could probably get in the same price range.
i would look at Okna , Polaris Ultra series windows, Gorell, or Sunrise.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with both comments... I'd check out a few more options (such as those listed by masterext), but if forced to choose, I'd take Harvey.

kusaksizyan

#5 Post by kusaksizyan »

I have also one more decision to make.

Harvey salesman says that 36 by 45 size window, they can make in one piece. (one casement). This way two panel with one post wont block the sun light.

American jewel salesman says one casement window with that size is not possible and offer sliding window for the same size.

What you guys think?

Thank you

beaver

#6 Post by beaver »

Single vent casement would be the way to go. 2 lite slider in that size would be too narrow IMO.
Sliders work best when the width is greater than the height. DH is also a possibility.

EcoStar Remodeling

#7 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Many manufacturers will make a single casement up to 36" wide. Some will make them wider than that. Sunrise, as an example, would make that window up to 45" wide in a single casement and would make a 36" wide window height up to 80". The fact that AJ won't, gives you some indication as to the structural integrity of their windows.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

A 36 x 45 casement is possible, you need to buy a quality window to avoid problems.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

Eco is 100% correct. The fact that American jewel won't make a casement that wide is evidence enough that it is lacking structurally.
Although Harvey may make one that large doesn't mean it's high quality because it's not. It's a mid grade window.
Structural performance is a very important but often over looked qualities in windows.
The higher end windows mentioned above are engineered very well and meant to last and offer homeowners years of energy efficiency.