Capital Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!

Capital Windows

#1 Post by 040167 »

My parents purchased Capital windows about 10 years ago for new construction. It appears the seal are broken as the windows are fogged between the glass. Anyone know of this company and what can be done to fix them. I can't find much information on the company except that maybe they were acquired by a company called MI windows and doors. Any help is appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Capital Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are probably out of luck in this case. 10 year is the max that most folks will warranty new construction.

Check with MI on that and if they are out, see what new sashes will cost. Be forewarned, if they failed in 10 years, what guarantees do you have that they will last now?

You could also see about "de-fogging" the IGU as well. I quick Google search will net you thousands of folks doing that.

#3 Post by 040167 »

I did call the company today and the windows have a 20 year warranty. First 10 years replace entire window sash, next 10 years they replace the glass only. Of course, the warranty does not cover shipping and labor. They made me believe its not that difficult to replace the glass. They even give instructions on how to do it. Any thoughts or tips on installing the glass?

TLHWINDOW

#4 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Look at a sash and see if they are screwed togethor or if they are welded and have stops holding the glass in.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Replacing the glass is hard on the first one and easy on the 3rd one. Just make sure you wear proper gear.

beaver

#6 Post by beaver »

MI/Capital are probably the easiest windows to reglaze that I have come across. They use a foam glazing tape that does not have an adhesive back so the glass will come out easily. The replacement glass will come with new tape applied to the glass unit. I would suggest renting a glass suction cup or you can purchase an inexpensive one at a store like Harbor Freight Tools.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to beaver. Interior glazing beads, no adhesive to cut. Crappy window, but it is sure easy to replace the glass.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

+2 to beaver. Very easy compared to some other windows. Just take your time taking off the interior glazing beads so that you don't damage them. They can get brittle some times when they're old. I like a 5 & 1 painter's tool that's not to sharp but has enough of an edge on it to separate the glazing bead from the sash frame. A stiff putty knife will work good also. Once the edges are started one all just push them out of their track.

I would have a tube of clear silicone on hand and some rubber glazing shims that you can get from the manufacturer. Be sure to clean anything vinyl wise that is dirty while it's apart with something like denatured alcohol. Watch the edges of the insulated glass units (old and new) as they can be sharp. Good gloves (kevlar) and safety glasses are a good idea.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Delaware Mike wrote: Good gloves (kevlar) and safety glasses are a good idea.
Definitely a good idea.

#10 Post by 040167 »

Thanks for all the replies. I need to order the replacement glass but will wait to install until warmer weather as i am in the northeast.