Milgard Ultra fiberglass vs. Marvin Integrity fiberglass

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
szmad

Milgard Ultra fiberglass vs. Marvin Integrity fiberglass

#1 Post by szmad »

Hello All,

I am replacing over 30 windows in a 1924 2000-sq.ft. two-story house in Berkeley, California. Because I want a window that will last forever, and will never fade or yellow or warp, without maintenance, I have decided on fiberglass. I have received bids on Marvin Integrity and Milgard Ultra. So far I see two significant differences between the windows:

-- Milgard offers a full lifetime warranty on everything, whereas Marvin offers only a limited 10-year defects/20-year glass warranty.
-- Milgard is a lot more expensive (as much as 50% more, I think).

Given this, here are my questions:

1) Why is the Milgard window so much more expensive? Is it because Milgard offers a better warranty, or also because Milgard is better quality? I read that generally Marvin is a higher-end window than Milgard, and read good reviews of Marvin Integrity, so I was surprised that Milgard Ultra is more expensive. Can anyone explain this?

2) I have read that fiberglass windows will last much longer than vinyl, without fading, yellowing, or warping, and with essentially no maintenance. Does the experience with fiberglass to date support this?

3) I read on this site about a fiberglass-window company called Inline, but haven't been able to locate a dealer in California. Does anyone know anything about the price and quality of Inline compared with Marvin and Milgard?

Of course, I welcome any other comments on the price and quality of fiberblass windows.

Windows on Washington

Re: Milgard Ultra fiberglass vs. Marvin Integrity fiberglass

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

szmad wrote:Hello All,

I am replacing over 30 windows in a 1924 2000-sq.ft. two-story house in Berkeley, California. Because I want a window that will last forever, and will never fade or yellow or warp, without maintenance, I have decided on fiberglass.

While I appreciate your decision criteria, do you think that vinyl will not last as long? There is no data to indicate that premium vinyl will not last just as long as Fiberglass. I do like Fiberglass, however, the folks that market it as lasting forever where vinyl will fade, yellow, or warp are not speaking the truth if they are using that same argument against very nice vinyl. If so, why would Milgard offer that same lifetime warranty on their vinyl windows?

I have received bids on Marvin Integrity and Milgard Ultra. So far I see two significant differences between the windows:

-- Milgard offers a full lifetime warranty on everything, whereas Marvin offers only a limited 10-year defects/20-year glass warranty.
-- Milgard is a lot more expensive (as much as 50% more, I think).

Have you looked at the Marvin Infinity? Marvin Infinity also comes with a lifetime warranty and is more aimed at the retrofit market.

Given this, here are my questions:

1) Why is the Milgard window so much more expensive? Is it because Milgard offers a better warranty, or also because Milgard is better quality? I read that generally Marvin is a higher-end window than Milgard, and read good reviews of Marvin Integrity, so I was surprised that Milgard Ultra is more expensive. Can anyone explain this?

Not sure. Commenting on pricing is difficult because you never know what it cost a particular vendor to "do" business. I will say that the Integrity is often aimed at the new construction market and in doing so, probably makes sure that they are even in the running by keeping their price reasonable. You don't see to many Milgard Ultras in new construction. Again, if you are concerned about the warranty, look at the Infinity.

2) I have read that fiberglass windows will last much longer than vinyl, without fading, yellowing, or warping, and with essentially no maintenance. Does the experience with fiberglass to date support this?

Fiberglass has some advantages to it as a material but there is not much data to support the idea that well engineered, proper materials, and built vinyl will last any shorter than Fiberglass.

3) I read on this site about a fiberglass-window company called Inline, but haven't been able to locate a dealer in California. Does anyone know anything about the price and quality of Inline compared with Marvin and Milgard?

Impossible to comment on price but I can call Inline and see if they ship to CA.

Of course, I welcome any other comments on the price and quality of fiberblass windows.
What type of windows are you replacing? What type of construction?

szmad

#3 Post by szmad »

Thanks a lot Windows on Washington.

Most of the windows are double-hung, about 36"x42". About two-thirds will be inserts, about one-third will be nail-on in new framing. The house is wood frame construction with redwood siding outside (no plywood layer) and lathe-and-plaster inside, giving about 5-3/8" thick walls.

Thanks for suggesting Marvin Infinity; I'll ask one of the local dealers for quote.

The Infinity has a limited lifetime warranty that covers manufacturing defects in the non-glass components; this is better than the 10/20 warranty on the Integrity series, but not as good as the full lifetime warranty on all parts (including glass, and fade) for the Milgard Ultra.

So far, my wife and I like the look and feel of fiberglass better, because it's closer to wood, which is what we really want except we don't want to deal with repainting every 10-15 years. But we haven't looked at the best vinyl products. Clearly we have some more looking to do!

I also am eager to find out more about Inline.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

szmad wrote:Thanks a lot Windows on Washington.

No problem. Glad to help.

Most of the windows are double-hung, about 36"x42". About two-thirds will be inserts, about one-third will be nail-on in new framing. The house is wood frame construction with redwood siding outside (no plywood layer) and lathe-and-plaster inside, giving about 5-3/8" thick walls.

Why the new construction versions as well? Marvin and Inline are both available with fins too.

Thanks for suggesting Marvin Infinity; I'll ask one of the local dealers for quote.

The Infinity has a limited lifetime warranty that covers manufacturing defects in the non-glass components; this is better than the 10/20 warranty on the Integrity series, but not as good as the full lifetime warranty on all parts (including glass, and fade) for the Milgard Ultra.

I would not choose one product over another in this case because of the slight differences in warranty. Both are proven products and have big companies behind them. In my personal experience, the Infinity/Integrity has been a more trouble free product in our sample study of installations.

So far, my wife and I like the look and feel of fiberglass better, because it's closer to wood, which is what we really want except we don't want to deal with repainting every 10-15 years. But we haven't looked at the best vinyl products. Clearly we have some more looking to do!

You betcha. There are some nice vinyls out there that have a more organic feel to them and some have the paintable/stainable laminated interior (similar to the Marvin Everwood)

I also am eager to find out more about Inline.

I just emailed the owner and I will get you and answer on the dealer availability in that area. If I were building a home, Inline is the window I would be putting in if that is any endorsement.
see above...

buddy11

#5 Post by buddy11 »

WoW,
I have seen the inline products but was not as impresses as you apparently are. Has anything changed recently?

szmad

#6 Post by szmad »

WoW, what do you like about Inline?

Buddy, what did *not* impress you?

buddy11

#7 Post by buddy11 »

szmad wrote:WoW, what do you like about Inline?

Buddy, what did *not* impress you?

I loved the glass option, color and "ala cart" menus, but I thought the pultrusions and mechanicals were rather antiquated and somewhat ugly. To be honest, I couldn't get past that aspect

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Buddy,

Have you seen the new window?

While I think the Marvin will still win the beauty swimsuit portion of the competition, that is where the competition stops.

The data on the Inline is much better on all other accounts (structure, air, thermal, water).

buddy11

#9 Post by buddy11 »

Windows on Washington wrote:Buddy,

Have you seen the new window?

While I think the Marvin will still win the beauty swimsuit portion of the competition, that is where the competition stops.

The data on the Inline is much better on all other accounts (structure, air, thermal, water).

I don't know. The last time I saw it was maybe ~two years ago. I didn't know the numbers were better.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Newer window has only been out for about 6 months.

Much prettier and the numbers are very good.

buddy11

#11 Post by buddy11 »

Windows on Washington wrote:Newer window has only been out for about 6 months.

Much prettier and the numbers are very good.
Yeah, I just looked at them. The patio door is tight!