Crusader Technical Window Review of Power HRG SL2700

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
NewEnglandPats_123

Crusader Technical Window Review of Power HRG SL2700

#1 Post by NewEnglandPats_123 »

This is partly hindsight as we are locked and loaded into getting a few replacement windows from Power home remodeling group Power HRG, but I'm curious to track down legit reviews on the actual windows themselves. This is a New England firm out of PA (with a satellite branch in MA). I find lots of reviews on the sales pitch (one of those multi-hour in-house deals with tricks like heat loss indicators and stuff), but little on actually how the windows perform. It's hard to trust some open internet reviews as some of them sound like they could have been written by employees.

I searched this board and found old (like 5+ year old) posts and am looking for something more up to date and posts where people are actually familiar with the Crusader Window, Power HRG SL2700 from Northeast Building Products. I'm already not thrilled that we got a call the day before install to reschedule 3 days out, but I'm going to give them a break on that. The windows that they sell are the SL2700.

They do seem like great (but expensive) windows and I have not found 1 review saying that the windows or the install was terrible, so I'm hopeful but any additional information from actual experts or customers would be great.

Thanks!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Hard to Find Technical Review of Power HRG SL2700 Windows

#2 Post by masterext »

ive seen a few of their installs and i didnt notice anything that would be percieved as corner cutting or poor install quality. that said, i saw a few siding jobs that left alot to be desired.
as far as their product, its ok but nothing thats going to cure cancer, solve the european debt crisis, or prevent iran from making a nuclear weapon. in other words, its an average window and nothing special; dont fall for for any outrageous claims.
they use someothing called sash lite which they claim is revolutionary. rather than installing a separate spacer system, theirs is built into the window and its made of vinyl. the only one who benefits is the manufacturer.. why? it cuts costs, no need to buy a spacer, also one less step in the manufacturing process. why are they one of the only companies that use it? its not tried and true. they also use tempered glass which any manufacturer offers although power call it something else.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2339

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3300

From Delaware Mike:

Power Windows actually sells a loaded up "Crusader" series from North East Building Products. It's basically a locally manufactured (Philly) contractor's grade window that incorporates sashlite glazing, tempered glass with some type of Sunclean coating. The window still is very ugly with giant bullky locks, average welds, blue white vinyl extrusion, and minimal weather stripping. They present the window as the most state of the art window in the entire industry, and is worth every bit of $1,200 to $1,500 per opening. But, with their day of demo discounts and model home programs, you can "invest today" for only $850 a window! What a deal since the windows actually don't cost the homeowner a penny once you factor in the 40% energy savings, the Federal tax rebate matched by their own $1,500 rebate, and the increased equity in your home proven by the Qualified Remodler stats......

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Power will do a good job as far as the install is concerned. Most of their window installs are pretty basic and common to insert pocket replacement installations. I wouldn't expect anything really custom like pre-finished interior casings or exterior capping with the usage of a detail creating brake buddy or trim former. On the flip side, I wouldn't expect face nails or novice caulking either. The recent installs I've seen have been decent looking from the exterior.

I can't find any air leakage testing regarding their window and it's not listed with AAMA from my research. I also don't know the Design Pressure rating of the frame. You could very easily call North East Building Products in the morning and they may disclose this information to you?

I would hope that their installers would be utilizing more modern building practices regarding things like low-expansion spray foam rather than the standard ether foam insulation foam wrap the comes standard on the window.

From the NFRC website:
Overall U-factor: .27
SHGC: .28
VT: .53
Condensation
Resistance: 61

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would hope that the structural performance shows an AI <.09 .
I doubt it since it is so hard to find, usually if it is hard to find there is a reason they do not want you to know.

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

I've seen a few installs which were "ok". Don't know much about their windows, but last time I checked they were selling alside siding which is a pretty good product. The fact that they private label products bothers me somewhat. What are they afraid of? That someone will sell the exact same thing with an equal or better install for a lot less??? :lol:

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

That's pretty much it Buddy. They set up shop with Northeast Building Products, which prior to Power has been selling to hundreds of local small window dealers and contractors local to the area. Power has always sold a nice siding panel, mostly with Full Back. Premium price of course.

buddy11

#8 Post by buddy11 »

Never understood the need to hide what you sell. The product is less than 50% of the total package. It's more about the entire process. Throughout my entire career, I've sold top quality products with service to match, and I was always proud to put that product out there for everyone to see.. I've never catered to the bargain, basement shopper, I always sold value. That was the niche I created for myself. Let the bottom feeders fight over what's left. If you sell a good product and do a great job, there's no need to fabricate a name for your product.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

many companies claim to have a "proprietary product" when in fact ts a lower end window from another manufacturer.

newhomeowner1234

#10 Post by newhomeowner1234 »

how did your experience go with the power people!? They are coming to my house tomorrow.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Please post back and let us know how you made out. Hopefully you will get a very professional sales rep that is honest and respects your time. Keep in mind that no matter how many times that they discount off the initial pricing, you can still get their lowest price at a future date and time even when they say it's "only good for today."