Alside's best window?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
kfs

Alside's best window?

#1 Post by kfs »

Which Alside window is considered top-of-the-line: the Sheffield or the Ultramaxx? I had two contractors give me bids and one said that the Sheffield is the best one and the other said the Ultramaxx is the best one. Also, is triple pane a lot better than double pane?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Alside's best window?

#2 Post by masterext »

I am not a fan of alside at all and here is why. ultramaxx uses a pocket sill and sheffield uses a " snap in sloped sill" .. why are both bad designs? because rather than water draining down a truely welded sloped sill, alside also drains through the frame through weep holes. if those weep holes ever get clogged ( they do ) how will water escape? also, if there is clogging, think of all the mold that will grow inside that window frame. another reason i dont like either is both have high air leakage rates and both are bulky meaning you lose alot of glass.
air leakage rates are a number many window contractors dont mention because most vinyl windows have rather high numbers with the exception of a few higher end brands.
look for a window with an air leakage rate under .08 ( in my opinion). a few companies that meet that criteria would be sunrise, okna, and soft lite. all 3 of these brands are designed very well and are engineered to last decades opposed to months.
lastly, choose a contractor who specializes in windows and knows how to do a proper install and doesnt cut corners.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

I agree with masterext, all of Alside's windows are mediocre at best, and most are extremely poor. Pocket sills should always be avoided, IMO.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Ultramaxx would be my choice if I had to use one of the more commonly available one.

They do have a new unit out somewhere that is part of their special dealer program that is an entirely different design and seems to be a decent window.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Actually, there are the same with the exception of the sill design. Like the others, I'm a fan of neither.
On TP vs DP, it depends on several factors, not the least of which is cost. Will TP be more efficient? Without a doubt.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

wow,
i know they have an 8000 series thats ok, is that the same window? i know the 8000 is a welded sill.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

masterext wrote:wow,
i know they have an 8000 series thats ok, is that the same window? i know the 8000 is a welded sill.
That's the one I was thinking of.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I can sell an Okna 800 for the same price that I could sell a Sheffield, and that is a Porsche vs a Kia.... Furthermore, please elaborate on what makes the Sheffield "by far" better?

masterext

#9 Post by masterext »

i dont think this guy realizes the sheffield has an unusually high air leakage rate of .2 . then of course you have the poorly designed sill and the tremendous loss of glass. i think one of the guys did an illustration of how much glass is lost on a sheffield a few months back.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

affordable-windows wrote: By far the better window is Sheffield, for the money. Regarding the previous posts, yes you can get a better window but you pay alot more for it.
Really....the Sheffield is better?

This sure looks like a great sill:

This sure looks like a normal amount of glass loss:

buddy11

#11 Post by buddy11 »

As everyone has said, Alside best window is average at best. Keep looking, you can find a much better window for the same or less.

jtomasik

#12 Post by jtomasik »

Also, is triple pane a lot better than double pane?

I do not find triple better than double as far as energy savings. It cost more than it's worth.
Alside is OK window for the price when is honestly priced.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

jtomasik wrote:Also, is triple pane a lot better than double pane?

I do not find triple better than double as far as energy savings. It cost more than it's worth.
The answer is yes, triple pane is more energy-efficient than double pane in most applications. The question of whether or not it is a better value is determined by many factors including price, as well as other environmental factors surrounding and pertaining to the home (ie: climate, etc).

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:
jtomasik wrote:Also, is triple pane a lot better than double pane?

The answer is yes, triple pane is more energy-efficient than double pane in most applications. The question of whether or not it is a better value is determined by many factors including price, as well as other environmental factors surrounding and pertaining to the home (ie: climate, etc).
+1

All depends on what Company "X" charges for it.

I most certainly, in 95% of the comparisons when upgrading the same unit from double pane, is better for energy savings.

Most customers take issue with the reduced light, weight, and passive solar (although many homes have not be properly orientated for this).

North of the Mason-Dixon line, higher SHGC on the South facing makes good sense. After that, go triple if you don't mind the drop in VT.