Help with Replacement Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
maryakg

Help with Replacement Windows

#1 Post by maryakg »

I live near Greensburg, PA (about 20 miles east of Pittsburgh). I never thought it would be this difficult to replace windows in my house. I have thirteen windows I want to replace. Two windows in a bedroom I want to convert to a sliding glass door. I need to replace a casement window in my bathroom. The remaining ten windows will be double hung replacements with six windows on the front elevation going for a true divided light look on the outside.

I have had Andersen and a dealer who uses Restorations Windows. One bid was roughly 18,000 and the other 15,000. I am trying to find other good firms to also provide a bid and it is very difficult to cut through the information as to who really is good and who isn't.

Any suggestions on good companies in this area and good window brands? Does 15k to 18k sound right for my job?

HomeSealed

Re: Help with Replacement Windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Mary, there is a board pro named anthony that serves part of the state of PA. He'd be my first choice if he does cover your area, and you can find him here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4833
If not, I would narrow your choices on product, then find a couple dealers that carry them. The Restorations product by Sunrise is a great choice, and a few comparable products would be the higher lines of Softlite, HiMark, and Okna.
On the price it is hard to say due to the custom nature of turning windows into a door, but with that combined with a few higher priced options like the sdl grids, it could certainly be reasonable. The best way to find out is to compare a few bids by respectable companies with comparable products.

beaver

#3 Post by beaver »

Western Pa./Pittsburgh you should have more companies and window choices than you could imagine. Check with friends,relatives,and neighbors who have had their windows replaced. They are your best source of referrals to companies who do good work.

maryakg

#4 Post by maryakg »

Mary are the first four letters of my last name, by the way. The cost of the slider is roughly four grand and it is a cut through on vinyl siding and wood. Not brick. So Andersen is roughly fourteen thousand for eleven windows. Restorations approximately eleven.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Generally when it approaches $1k per opening it would be on the high side, but it could under the right circumstances. Are any of these units twin, triple, or oversized, etc? What type of glass package? What color int and ext? Insert or full-frame installation? Lead-safe procedures? etc, etc.
...When you say Andersen, what line?

maryakg

#6 Post by maryakg »

All standard sized windows. Nothing special. Andersens quotes window insert frame, no exterior trim, white exterior, white interior, high performance smartsun glass. Again, just basic stuff.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

If that is the case then it sounds extremely high IMO. As I said earlier though, the best way to find out for sure would be to get another quote or two. Look for a good, local company that sells a high quality window. If you are getting the 3 hr sales pitches with the dog and pony show, then you are calling the wrong kind of companies and that would explain the pricing.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Trust you gut in the end.

If it feels like you are getting hustled and pushed in a direction, you just might be.

You have gone a long way to educating yourself via these boards, stay with it and get a great product and installation for you home.

While it may be the bane of your existence, I think you might be well served to take on another quote. This time you will be and informed customer and can steer the process more appropriately.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

How old is your house?
What color do you want the windows on the exterior, interior?
What material do you want the windows constructed of clad wood, vinyl, composite/fiberglass?
Is ther any electric under the windows where you want to do the sill drop? What is the combined width of the two windows?