Okna vs. Serious

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
tossici

Okna vs. Serious

#1 Post by tossici »

So I've been looking at Okna and Gorell and the last person I spoke with sells Serious windows. Long story short his position was that Serious 300 is a better window which justifies his higher price (over Okna and Gorell quotes). This doesn't really match up with what I'm reading online, however this company replaced our roof a few years ago and we were extremely pleased with their work. I've seen the other windows but not the Serious 300 in person. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna vs. Serious

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Get a CPD (Certified Products Directory) number on what he is proposing and post that up.

I would also ask for the structural test report and see if you can post that up as well.

I don't see a Serious 300 listed on the NFRC site.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

The Okna product is easily the best of those three. Compare the ratings (u-values, dp, ai, cr, etc) for proof. Okna is also the most healthy and stable company of the three. Both Gorell and Serious have been in the news with financial troubles recently, although Gorell should stabilize now that they have been purchased by Softlite. The outlook for Serious is not as bright. Okna/HiMark otoh is expanding across the country pretty rapidly.

buddy11

#4 Post by buddy11 »

tossici wrote:So I've been looking at Okna and Gorell and the last person I spoke with sells Serious windows. Long story short his position was that Serious 300 is a better window which justifies his higher price (over Okna and Gorell quotes). This doesn't really match up with what I'm reading online, however this company replaced our roof a few years ago and we were extremely pleased with their work. I've seen the other windows but not the Serious 300 in person. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Was he serious? :lol:

Seriously, cpd, or no cpd, the Okna or Gorell options are better choices. Okna has the best performance numbers of all three.

tossici

#5 Post by tossici »

Ok, I'll see what I can find out. I have another appointment next wed.

My gut tells me that the Serious entry level product can't be better than the Okna higher level product line. We have a 1940's brick house Simonton windows that are about 20 years old. I don't think they were installed that well and the biggest issues seems to be air infiltration. Each year we rip down and replace a wall at which time we put in insulation (as the house has none) and put the window back in. This seems to help a lot but I'm looking to start replacing the worst ones. Also we have an unconditioned porch. Any concerns about (Okna) vinyl windows in an unconditioned space? We get a lot of sun in the late afternoon. Winters temps are usually hover around the freezing mark but rarely fall below zero.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Your concerns regarding temperature and vinyl are valid. That is why its so important to choose a quality vinyl window that uses a high grade pvc formulation. Okna certainly meets that criteria.

tossici

#7 Post by tossici »

Ok good to know for the unconditioned space. I've looked at around 7 products. We started at the bigbox store and moved on to supply houses and then local contractors. I did encounter a sales person who may have "suggested" that Okna was using fillers to make more product with less and that the filler chemicals would make the vinyl less rigid and subject to more contraction/expansion. It only takes a off comment like that and I start to get worried.

I just noticed that Okna offers exterior colors. For the unconditioned porch or the house for that matter should I worry about the finish cracking or peeling if has a direct sun or weather exposure? I'm probably partial to the lighter side of the color choices.

buddy11

#8 Post by buddy11 »

tossici wrote: I did encounter a sales person who may have "suggested" that Okna was using fillers to make more product with less and that the filler chemicals would make the vinyl less rigid and subject to more contraction/expansion. It only takes a off comment like that and I start to get worried.

I just noticed that Okna offers exterior colors. For the unconditioned porch or the house for that matter should I worry about the finish cracking or peeling if has a direct sun or weather exposure? I'm probably partial to the lighter side of the color choices.

This salesman is not being truthful with you. I would definitely look elsewhere.

Vinyl windows with colors other than white or beige on the exterior are often painted products. These will not last as long as non painted vinyl, but they don;t normally peel either.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

buddy11 wrote:
tossici wrote: I did encounter a sales person who may have "suggested" that Okna was using fillers to make more product with less and that the filler chemicals would make the vinyl less rigid and subject to more contraction/expansion. It only takes a off comment like that and I start to get worried.

This salesman is not being truthful with you. I would definitely look elsewhere.

Vinyl windows with colors other than white or beige on the exterior are often painted products. These will not last as long as non painted vinyl, but they don;t normally peel either.
+1. The coating will be fine and comes with a 10 year warranty. The comment on the "fillers" is pure bunk... Unfortunately when your product is one of the best on the market (as Okna's is), competitors will lie and/or exaggerate to sell against them. I'd also suggest finding a more honest and ethical company to do business with.