Polar Seal

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
vans

Polar Seal

#1 Post by vans »

I'm about to purchase a few double hung's by Polar Seal, I've looked at a number of different brands including Sunrise and I feel these are a good value, about 125.00 less than Sunrise.

I'm not familiar with Polar Seal and looking for some input based on experience please

Thanks

HomeSealed

Re: Polar Seal

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't have experience with the product, but there is lots of outdated info on their website. Thermal numbers look okay, I'd like to see the structural. It appears to have a pocket sill which is a deal breaker in my book unless it is a coastal application.
A $125 per window difference is not cheap, but it would appear that the Sunrise offering would be a better choice based on the measurables.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Pocket sill, despite the occasional drive by someone at Stanek or Unlimited, is a terrible flaw in my opinion.

Given the wide variety of windows available today with fantastic structure, water, and air numbers out of a sloped sill, if it were my home, I would always opt for a window with a sloped sill.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

From the Polar Seal website:

Air Infiltration
The American Architectural Manufacturer's Association says that if a window leaks .30 cubic meters of air per lineal foot of crack or less in a 15 mph wind test chamber, that's a good window.
Really? A 15mph wind? That's the only criteria for a Polar Seal window to be considered a good window?
Who makes this stuff up? :shock:

vans

#5 Post by vans »

What is your main concern with pocket sill?,
I can see an issue with weep holes plugging, I can also see how the sill would block wind better
Other than weep holes I don't see whats so bad

Windows on Washington wrote:+1

Pocket sill, despite the occasional drive by someone at Stanek or Unlimited, is a terrible flaw in my opinion.

Given the wide variety of windows available today with fantastic structure, water, and air numbers out of a sloped sill, if it were my home, I would always opt for a window with a sloped sill.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

vans wrote:What is your main concern with pocket sill?,
I can see an issue with weep holes plugging, I can also see how the sill would block wind better
Other than weep holes I don't see whats so bad

Windows on Washington wrote:+1

vans,

In theory, pocket sills should provide better wind and structural performance. The reality is that the manufacturers making the top end fully welded sloped sills are getting better performance out of their windows as it pertains to structure, air, and water infiltration.

If you can see how the weep holes might plug...you have grasp what could be a disastrous drawback to that window. If the weep holes plug, this = a leaking window into your home.

Couple that potential with the mildew and goop that will accumulate in that window's pocket and it is a non-starter for me and especially so when all the fully welded sloped sill windows are better or as good a performer.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Weep holes will get clogged; thats not so bad ? Have fun with all the mold and also tell me how good the windows look when you open the sash and can actually see all the mold and other junk that has built up in the sides of the window for everyone to see. You also lose glass from a pocket sill.
There are a bunch of window companies that do it right and utilize a true welded sloped sill that have much better air leakage numbers than any pocket sill.
Pocket sills are a cheap design and thats why some companies use them. Dont be fooled unless its a certain coastal application.

beaver

#8 Post by beaver »

Most manufacturers that use a pocket sill design do so due to cost. They can use the same frame extrusion for head,jamb, and sill for both DH and horizontal sliders. The same sash materilal can also be used for both. Extrusion dies are very expensive due their complexity. Inventories are reduced and equipment to process parts are simplified.

I personally prefer the sloped sill design for DH's but think too much is made about the negatives of pocket sills since most manufacturers use pocket sill designs for their slider windows and that never seems to be pointed out. The same issues will occur with rhose windows.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

beaver wrote:Most manufacturers that use a pocket sill design do so due to cost. They can use the same frame extrusion for head,jamb, and sill for both DH and horizontal sliders. The same sash materilal can also be used for both. Extrusion dies are very expensive due their complexity. Inventories are reduced and equipment to process parts are simplified.

I personally prefer the sloped sill design for DH's but think too much is made about the negatives of pocket sills since most manufacturers use pocket sill designs for their slider windows and that never seems to be pointed out. The same issues will occur with rhose windows.
You are 100% correct in that it is a cost cutting issue.

You are also correct that sliders are based on pocket style designs but they are not entirely analogous.

Most sliders pockets are much straighter exit pathways and typically open to the exterior. This openness allows the pocket to drain out and dry out more readily. It is also more easily to visually inspect for the client and subvert any potential issues (i.e. debris, buds, bugs, etc).

Similar...yes. Same...not quite.

Drawback of the design, I would still argue yes as well but I have personally observed several pocket sill double hungs that have leaked into the home whereas I have yet to observe a slider that was leaking as a result of the pocket design.

vans

#10 Post by vans »

Thanks for all your input,

I think I'll visit the showrooms again before deciding