Replacement windows for narrow openings

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
scott

Replacement windows for narrow openings

#1 Post by scott »

We have an old ranch style house that was built in 1972. In the master bedroom, the windows are very narrow in width. I noticed this when we bought the house, but didn't really pay attention to just how narrow.

Now we are looking at replacing them since they are the standard window from 1972 i.e. mill finish, single pane glass. I had a person that sold Don Young windows that said they could not make an operable window to fit my opening. (sheetrock to sheetrock on the inside it measures 17") He said the only thing they could make that narrow are fixed windows. Obviously since these are the master bedroom windows that won't work.

What is the minimum width for custom replacement windows? Am I looking at having to pull the windows, and enlarge the holes? I hate that idea because the exterior is brick, and when the house was built, they bricked to the unit and there is no trim at all.

Randy

Re: Replacement windows for narrow openings

#2 Post by Randy »

Now we are looking at replacing them since they are the standard window from 1972 i.e. mill finish, single pane glass. I had a person that sold Don Young windows that said they could not make an operable window to fit my opening. (sheetrock to sheetrock on the inside it measures 17") He said the only thing they could make that narrow are fixed windows.
You were not given accurate information. The minimum width for Don Young vinyl single hungs is 17", and since the sheetrock to sheetrock dimension is 17", the exterior dimension would be at least 17 1/4" if not 17 1/2". In their thermally-broken aluminum line, they'll go as narrow as 14".

Are these the widest windows in the master bedroom? Is there an exterior door in the room?
Last edited by Randy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott

#3 Post by scott »

Hmmm... that's interesting. If I remember correctly the brick to brick measurement was 18 1/2 inches, so good news. Will have to measure again when I get home later today.

Guess that also lets me know the person I talked to is not the right person for me to deal with.

Sorry didn't see the other part of your reply... Yes the windows are in the master bedroom and there is no exterior door exit. Not sure what egress laws where in 1972 when the house was built, but know from talking to others that the current size don't meet egress codes today. In hindsight, surprised it didn't come up somehow when we bought the house a few years ago.

Thanks!

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Homes do not normally have to be upgraded to current code for resale.
Thewindownerd....
Also if you are in Randy s service area you should meet with him or one of his staff...
The best.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Most homes do not require retrofitting for egress in this situation if you are not making any other structural changes.

If you are anywhere near Houston, Randy is the guy in that area. Great products and installations.

MrRogersWindows

#6 Post by MrRogersWindows »

Good news: there is indeed a solution for you. Renewal by Andersen, for example, can make an operable custom-built casement window down to a width of 16 inches. Using a low-profile composite frame, such as Andersen’s FIBREX, window frames can be much narrower than a bulky vinyl frame. And with a narrow window you will want to have as much glass area as possible.

This casement window solution won’t disturb the brick either, and you will get a great view with all that wonderful glass area. Plus the fact that you can crank open a casement window to let lots of fresh air in too.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

MrRogersWindows wrote:Good news: there is indeed a solution for you. Renewal by Andersen, for example, can make an operable custom-built casement window down to a width of 16 inches. Using a low-profile composite frame, such as Andersen’s FIBREX, window frames can be much narrower than a bulky vinyl frame. And with a narrow window you will want to have as much glass area as possible.

This casement window solution won’t disturb the brick either, and you will get a great view with all that wonderful glass area. Plus the fact that you can crank open a casement window to let lots of fresh air in too.
Most of the higher end vinyl companies have profiles as narrow as the RBA, and with far better performance ratings to boot. The RBA window is okay, but generally overpriced and brings nothing to the table that did not already exist. It is the answer to a question that nobody asked, IMO.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

Mr Rogers
if you're going to come to a gun fight, dont bring a pocket knife.
the RBA ( renewal by andersen) Window gets put to shame by the higher end vinyl windows both structurally and from an energy efficiency stand point. if somene wants an energy efficient window with great structural numbers, they are not going to choose rba.
i know HiMark, Sunrise, and Okna all have narrow frames that are engineered much better than RBA. RBA is a decent window but Andersen clearly dropped the ball by neglecting to address air leakage and Ufactor.