Not wood, not vinyl

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Gotx

Not wood, not vinyl

#1 Post by Gotx »

I recently had RBA come out. Expensive. Only a 20 year warranty. However I do like the idea of something stronger than vinyl.

That said, living in Houston, what are my best options for not wood, not vinyl?

Also if I do have to go vinyl, Symonton seems good. Ay suggestions on an installer? Also, alternative to Symonton in Houston?

TheWindowNerd

Re: Not wood, not vinyl

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There is a pro who post here often,Randy, click his "Get a Quote" button.
He will be able to share all the best options in your area.
If I had a family member in his service area I would tell them they are crazy not to contact Randy.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

i would strongly suggest contacting Randy. do a board search of his name and click the contact button.As far as your aversion to vinyl, its totally unwarranted. Renewal is about 70% vinyl and 30% sawdust. when someone thinks of vinyl, they think of the low end stuff that most contractors use. however, there are some very high end brands that not only look very nice but have more structural integrity than the well known wood windows and blow away the Renewal in terms of energy efficiency and structural ratings.
a few brands would be soft lite and sunrise as well as okna which isnt available in your area.
the soft lite LS and Elements are 2 solid windows which will never warp and are top notch.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

The Rba window is not stronger or superior to vinyl in any way other than its highly polished sales pitch and inflated price tag. Softlite and Sunrise are two excellent options that should be available in your area (and blow the rba out of the water in every measurable area). Fiberglass and thermally broken aluminum may be worth a look in your area as well.
+1 on contacting Randy: Consummate pro. :)

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to Randy.

FYI...the frame warranty on the RBA window is only 10 years.

The frame and sash members of your Renewal by Andersen window are constructed of Fibrex® material. All Fibrex material components of your Renewal by Andersen products are warranted not to flake, rust, blister, peel, crack, pit, corrode, or rot, under normal use, for ten (10) years from the original installation date.

Seems rather disingenuous for a superior than vinyl material to have such a weak warranty.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows on Washington wrote: Seems rather disingenuous for a superior than vinyl material to have such a weak warranty.
I loved that quote from the RBA salesman a while ago explaining his backwards logic for the weak Renewal warranty... it was something like "the Renewal is such a great window that is doesn't need a lifetime transferable warranty like vinyl window's have". :roll:

Gotx

#7 Post by Gotx »

Thanks all. It did seem odd with the warranty and the sign now pitch.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

RBA's warranty is common for that type of product, just take a look at Marvin's warranty. Vinyl windows need superior warranties to compete with one another, life time warranties are commonplace. Does Lexus have an inferior product to Kia or does KIA use it as a selling tool?
I have not seen any of Ply-Gems non vinyl offerings, and have not seen a Jeld-Wen product I like yet though there new vinyl window looks interesting.

I would look at windows with fiberglass/ composite reinforcement as well, this is replacing metal and is standard on alot of high end vinyl.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:RBA's warranty is common for that type of product, just take a look at Marvin's warranty. Vinyl windows need superior warranties to compete with one another, life time warranties are commonplace. Does Lexus have an inferior product to Kia or does KIA use it as a selling tool?
I have not seen any of Ply-Gems non vinyl offerings, and have not seen a Jeld-Wen product I like yet though there new vinyl window looks interesting.

I would look at windows with fiberglass/ composite reinforcement as well, this is replacing metal and is standard on alot of high end vinyl.
Marvin Infinity comes with a lifetime warranty.

The warranty on the RBA window is nearly identical to their wood window warranty.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

Most fiberglass lifetime, most wood are around 20 years. The RBA is neither but would compete with both but is more often compared to fiberglass. Most window companies have similar warranties for similar materials. I would not say that a Silverline 1200 series is a better product than a Marvin Ultima though. I see warranties as a marketing tool more than anything, if the top vinyl manufactures could use a lesser warranty they would. The lifetime warranties can very quite a bit also on what they cover.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote:Most fiberglass lifetime, most wood are around 20 years. The RBA is neither but would compete with both but is more often compared to fiberglass. Most window companies have similar warranties for similar materials. I would not say that a Silverline 1200 series is a better product than a Marvin Ultima though. I see warranties as a marketing tool more than anything, if the top vinyl manufactures could use a lesser warranty they would. The lifetime warranties can very quite a bit also on what they cover.
I would not say that wood windows have a 20 yr warranty. Most are 20/10, meaning 10 years against wood rot, and guess which is usually the first part to go? I looked at some 12 yr old Pella's this week where the lower rail on the casements rotted to the point of falling off. In some respects warranties maybe somewhat of a sales tool, but I believe that a window should be warrantied for what a realistic lifespan would be. 10yrs is pathetic regardless of material.

+1 on the point that most premium vinyl windows will have NON-metal reinforcement. The only worthwhile window that I've seen from Plygem is their Great Lakes line which is a nice mid-range choice. I personally don't care for anything from Jeldwen... Both of those manufacturers seem to be comprised primarily of a bunch of old manufacturers that made very questionable products like MW, Caradco, Norco, etc.

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

I think the wood companies wood love to lower that 10 year threshold if they would not lose sales. That is why I still prefer to use storm windows on double hungs.