Maintenance Free Recommendation

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
pearlmikejam

Maintenance Free Recommendation

#1 Post by pearlmikejam »

I have an 8 year old house with rotting Rockwell wood casement windows. I want to replace them with a maintenance free casement. I have 22 openings, most of which are 5 foot windows, and about half the openings are double, with one triple window. I have gotten quotes for Anderson 400 (from Home Depot), Pella Impervia and Renewal by Anderson. I am leaning towards the Pella, but reading some of the older posts on this board, I am not sure. I am also worried that their all in price (window and installation) is bloated. I would expect to pay around $25k for the windows, yet my quotes are north of $35k.

That said, my primary questions are:

1 - Are fiberglass windows the best maintenance free option?
2 - I have a lumber yard that sells Marvin. I have read a lot of positive posts on Marvin, but it also seems like they are on the higher end for price. Should I look into the Marvin Integrity?
3 - I have been scared by the Anderson and Pella guys into thinking that anything not installed by them will be an easy out for any warranty claims. How often do these companies blame installers for warranty claims?
4 - What do I need to do to ensure maximum reliability and warranty coverage when choosing a manufacturer and installer?

Thanks in advance.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Maintenance Free Recommendation

#2 Post by masterext »

the pella impervia is poorly designed and not very energy efficient. i dont believe any professional that frequents this board would ever recommend that window.
renewal is basically vinyl with saw dust and renders average performance numbers.
higher end vinyl is to me, the best option from both an energy efficiency stand point as well as structural. higher end vinyl will never warp,peel, or discolor regardless of what renewal says.
higher end vinyl names are sunrise, okna, soft lite, or gorell.
in fiberglass, infinity.
finally, you need a quality installation.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

See below in bold..... :D
pearlmikejam wrote:I have an 8 year old house with rotting Rockwell wood casement windows. I want to replace them with a maintenance free casement. I have 22 openings, most of which are 5 foot windows, and about half the openings are double, with one triple window. I have gotten quotes for Anderson 400 (from Home Depot), Pella Impervia and Renewal by Anderson. I am leaning towards the Pella, but reading some of the older posts on this board, I am not sure. I am also worried that their all in price (window and installation) is bloated. I would expect to pay around $25k for the windows, yet my quotes are north of $35k.

That said, my primary questions are:

1 - Are fiberglass windows the best maintenance free option?

Not necessarily and certainly not the Impervia. You need to really look at that window next to a properly constructed fiberglass window like the Marvin Infinity or better yet, the Inline, and you will see the clear quality difference.

To your maintenance question, there is not data to clearly indicate that fiberglass is a superior material than the premium counter parts in the other composites and vinyls. Most clad woods can't claim the same trouble free longevity but good vinyl or composite should age just as effectively as fiberglass and perhaps better.

2 - I have a lumber yard that sells Marvin. I have read a lot of positive posts on Marvin, but it also seems like they are on the higher end for price. Should I look into the Marvin Integrity?

Integrity in the fiberglass/fiberglass option is borderline ugly. If you are going without a wood interior, you would look at the Infinity option from Marvin.

3 - I have been scared by the Anderson and Pella guys into thinking that anything not installed by them will be an easy out for any warranty claims. How often do these companies blame installers for warranty claims?

They are full of it. Nothing about the embroidery on your shirt makes you a better installer than the guy working for a private company. Often times, the exact opposite is the actual truth of the matter.

4 - What do I need to do to ensure maximum reliability and warranty coverage when choosing a manufacturer and installer?

Continue to research to identify what you actually want in your home. After that, interview some other companies and talk to their past customers and look at their work samples.

Thanks in advance.

pearlmikejam

#4 Post by pearlmikejam »

Thanks for the responses. I am a little confused. What is the difference between the Integrity and Infinity line of Marvin windows? I see that the Integrity comes in an all Ultrex version. Is there a rule of thumb for cost of either (for example, $1,000/window installed)?

Thanks again.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

They could easily be above or below $1000.Best to just price them out, pricing involves to many variables.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to Todd's comment, pricing will vary wildly between dealers. The main difference between Integrity and Infinity is a few bells and whistles. The Infinity does look a bit nicer. For my money, I think that high quality vinyl offers the best bang for the buck as "low-maintenance" products go. You pay a premium for fiberglass just because it is something different, but in most cases high-end vinyl will outperform it and do so at a lower cost.

pearlmikejam

#7 Post by pearlmikejam »

HomeSealed wrote:+1 to Todd's comment, pricing will vary wildly between dealers. The main difference between Integrity and Infinity is a few bells and whistles. The Infinity does look a bit nicer. For my money, I think that high quality vinyl offers the best bang for the buck as "low-maintenance" products go. You pay a premium for fiberglass just because it is something different, but in most cases high-end vinyl will outperform it and do so at a lower cost.
Thanks HomeSealed. I am tring to understand what you mean by outperform. Can you elaborate?

From what I have read, windows take approximately 20 years to pay for themselves in energy savings. My goal is to install windows that do not require annual painting or other upkeep to maintain both appearance and warranty. Additionally, I would like to get something that could last in excess of 20 years. Am I asking for too much or am I getting into only high end options?

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

You'll want to look at high end options, but that does not have to mean high-price. Premium vinyl choices will typically offer the best thermal and structural performance ratings as well as the best warranty. 20 + yrs is easily doable with a quality product, regardless of material.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

A lot of products are really close in quality and features. But, my favorite casement of all the products I've seen and/or installed is the Starmark Cellular Composite window. Let me tell you why.

My reasons are:
1. The composite frame and sash is a superior material for the hardware screws to hold into. Too many times I've seen other casements where the screws loosen up because of what they are screwed in to.
2. The Starmark has 3 layers of Q-Lon type weatherstripping to seal the window. One layer of Q-Lon type weatherstripping is what seals a fiberglass entry door. 3 layers of it are just sweet. (See photo)
3. The screens have high-visibilty screen cloth and the fasteners to hold the screens into the frame are really nice, not like the spindle ones everyone has seen that break when you try to pull them to take the screen out.
4. Their casement features tandem rollers on the sill that usher the sash easily into the closed position. They also support the weight of the sash while it is closed, reducing the chance for sagging over the life of the window.
5. Stainable woodgrain finish (available as an option) that is rot-proof and can match any color of wood in the home.
6. Multi-point locking hardware so that there is only one latch that secures the window sash from top to bottom.
7. Choice of grids either between the glass or simulated divided lites for a historic look. (See photos)

Q-Lon type weatherstripping

Image*Image
Sash Rollers and Simulated Divided Lite Grid