Need two new windows to match existing

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
frankpc

Need two new windows to match existing

#1 Post by frankpc »

I've spent hours at Lowes and HD and online trying to somewhat match my existing windows. I bet you guys can help. You already answered a previous question I had.

I cannot determine the brand. But I do know the following:

Fixed Picture window probably 7 years old.
Daylight Opening: 25 1/2 w x 72 3/16 h (measured)
Frame size: 29 3/16 x 76 (an estimate)
R.O.: 29 11/16 x 76 1/2 (an estimate)
Width of the exterior border around the glass: 2 9/16 (measured)
Distance from the front of the exterior vinyl border to the face of the glass: 1/8" to 1/4"

Vinyl, dual pane, tempered, white, I believe they have a nailing fin, and if so, setback about 1 1/4" (estimate). Very slight tint.

I've looked at and can purchase Jeld-Wen Builders Vinyl Picture Units, Pella, American Craftsman, Alliance.

Haven't found much detailed information online. The sales people and the literature they have is limited. The most important criteria is the Daylight Opening. Then the front border width.

I'm looking for advice regarding where to find a builder's grade window with supporting details to help match my existing windows.

Thank you.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Need two new windows to match existing

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Sounds simple enough....
This should probably be on the DIY section.
What you need to look at right from the get go is shop drawings or cut sheets for the windows you want.
Find a simonton distributor near you and go talk to them.

frankpc

#3 Post by frankpc »

thank you anthony,

I wasn't sure in which category to put this topic.

I just found a Simonton distributor. The pricing I can get is somewhat higher than Pella or Jeld-Wen. They also carried PlyGem. The online information is detailed. It shows both Daylight Opening as well as R.O. and cross sections of the frame. I am going to drive to their distribution point to actually see the windows.

Thanks for the advice.

frankpc

Brand Preferences and warranty effectiveness

#4 Post by frankpc »

After reading a bunch of posts on this forum, I am getting the hint that while low end Pella, Jeld-Wen, and American Craftsman windows might cost a little less than Simonton windows, Simonton (Profinish Builder ?) might be the better window.

I am also wondering about how warranties hold up when you install your own windows. In my limited experience, I have seen 8 or 10 windows with moisture in them that I replaced. I am shopping for two large fixed picture windows - 42" by 72" daylight opening. Perhaps larger windows would be more prone to moisture leakage than smaller ones. Therefore, a good warranty might be crucial.

Any advice regarding the above, would be valued.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Frank,

Proper installation is proper installation whether done by a pro or homeowner.

When we talk about larger windows, the design and performance benefits of more well engineered windows become more critical and can make or break a windows projected lifespan.

I would echo the sentiment that has been said and you have agreed with that you need to look at upper end brands to hopefully avoid this reality in the future.

frankpc

#6 Post by frankpc »

Windows on Washington wrote:I would echo the sentiment that has been said and you have agreed with that you need to look at upper end brands to hopefully avoid this reality in the future.
Thanks W.o.W. I am planning to seek out a Simonton Profinish Builder window today. There are several distributors in the area that carry them. It looks as though they will come close to matching the appearance of my existing windows if custom made.

I notice that Home Depot carries Simonton Vantage Pointe windows. I assume that is a bottom of the line window, but it does carry the Simonton name. Does that infer that you have to purchase a certain level of Simonton window to surpass the quality of a low end Pella, Jeld-Wen, or American Craftsman window? Each one of these windows is darned expensive - approaching $500.

Thanks for your time.

Frank

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

You might want to check the local building supply house as compared to Big Blue/Orange.

Good luck with the project.

frankpc

#8 Post by frankpc »

thanks!

I've been looking at Shelter Distribution, which is a distributor here locally. They carry nine different brands of windows, so I have to check to see whether they have a Simonton window similar to what I need.

beaver

#9 Post by beaver »

Being that they are relatively new windows there is a good chance that you could get an exact match. Maybe you could post some pictures and we might be able to help identify them.

frankpc

#10 Post by frankpc »

I forwarded photos to Simonton, and they told me they weren't Simonton and maybe they were SilverLine.

I can find no labels on the windows. Only etching appears to be on the glass itself. We bought the house used. And were told the Builder is out of business. We do not know who he/they were.

I am attaching some photos. If you can identify them, that would be great! I hope the pictures are clear enough. One point: despite how it might appear, the front/exterior surface of the glass is less than 1/4" behind the front surface of the frame.

http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww14 ... C02041.jpg
http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww14 ... C02040.jpg
http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww14 ... C02038.jpg
http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww14 ... C02037.jpg
http://s714.photobucket.com/albums/ww14 ... C02042.jpg

Thank you for your interest, expertise, and time.

beaver

#11 Post by beaver »

Where are you located? That looks very close to a Moss window. Small manufacturer in Charlotte,NC.

frankpc

#12 Post by frankpc »

Haven't heard of Moss. But I will look at them.

I am in Shawnee, Kansas.

Thank you for the help!

Update: I emailed Moss with my requirements. I didn't see any fixed picture windows on their site.

beaver

#13 Post by beaver »

Unlikely that it is a Moss window considering your location. They distribute mostly in the southeast and mid-atlantic regions of the country. I am not sure whose design they fabricate but you may find another fabricator closer to you.