Andersen Silverline 8500

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Newtowindows

Andersen Silverline 8500

#1 Post by Newtowindows »

I have a trusted contractor who has done quite a bit of work on my house in the past year. I need to replace 9 windows, all the same size and he recommended Andersen Silverline. All the reviews I've seen though say this is just a terrible replacement window. I've seen Gorell recommended on this site multiple times, but I note the company is now in receivership and there are several bad reviews about these windows as well. My windows are in a small townhouse, and there isn't a lot of design going into the actual window. I'd like them to be double hung, seal properly to keep the wind out, and hopefully keep the west side of the house cooler in the afternoons. They don't have to be fancy, they just need to open and close properly and last for a while. Thanks.

toddinmn

Re: Andersen Silverline 8500

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Go with Gorells or maybe have your contractor price out some Simontons since most contractors can get these. The Silverline isn't the worst window , but for a few dollars more... what size are the windows?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

silverline is not only cheaply made but its cheap looking.. gorell is a much better made window. you could also look at Himark, soft lite, energex elite by affinity, or sunrise.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The upper level Silverline isn't terrible but the upper level Gorell is better.

Gorell was bought by Soft-Lite and should be just fine.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Gorell as a company is no longer in existence. Gorell is now a product line offered by softlite which is a very healthy company. +1 to masterext's product recommendations. Silver line is not a well made window IMO.

Newtowindows

#6 Post by Newtowindows »

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the feedback, this is very helpful. The windows are about 58" by 35" (not exact, I just quickly measured the open space, contractor has exact measurements.)

TLHWINDOW

#7 Post by TLHWINDOW »

Here is the issue with SilverLine 8500. They are not as good of a window for the price they sell it at. If they are not installed with kid gloves they will leak air like a window is open.

Typically for a few dollars more you can get a better window, I'm not sure Softlite/Gorell is a few dollars more, but they are a better window.

Also, if you get a slim frame window, again install is VERY important or you will hate your windows.

Good Luck.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Good points. :)

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

The other windows may run more than a "few dollars more" especially if your contractor doesn't have access to the others or doesn't get good pricing.Home Depot has pretty low pricing on in stock windows as runs sales often on the 8500's. Since you only have 9 windows, a high end window should run no more than $600 for all. The biggest problem I see with the lower end windows is they attract low end contractors and installs