beauty or strength

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Jgs

beauty or strength

#1 Post by Jgs »

Ok ,I have to decide on windows my end of week. Sunrise verde or soft lite imperial ls.Both about same price. I am doing sandstone/sierra color on outside .Sunrise has co extruded exterior color but No reinforcement at meeting rail .Sunrise has lifetime warrenty against fading.Soft lite has better numbers and more structurally sound with meeting rail , 10 year warrenty against fading .Which would you chose?What is more important no fading or no reinforcement?

Windows on Washington

Re: beauty or strength

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

How big are the openings?

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

My vote is the LS, but you really won't go wrong with either.

Jgs

#4 Post by Jgs »

Largest is 36 x 72

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

I carry both of those lines and have installed them both. Based upon your sizing I'd go with the LS. I like Soft-Lite's colored exterior foil laminate more so than any type of exterior painting process. Pretty much everything fades when exposed to the elements. If you're expected to get new windows from Sunrise after 10-years because you see some fading when compared to a new color swatch, I think that you're going to be setting yourself up for unrealistic expectations.

If someone had very small openings and was overly concerned about visible glass loss I'd go with the Sunrise. The LS has a much stronger sill, master frame, and sash design. I've never had a homeowner that looked at both series, picked one, and then regretted than that didn't chose the other manufacturer. Both are very good windows. I personally sell about a 50/50 split between the two lines.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Mike,

I think the Sunrise window was the co-extruded product in this case and the color that Jgs wanted was only available in a painted exterior from Soft-Lite.

I would echo your sentiment that I prefer the LS and certainly at those sizes.

I would also agree that at those size openings, the delta in visible glass will be less noticeable.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Hi Eric,

I did catch that. Sierra is Soft-Lite's foil laminate color that matches up with Sunrise's sandstone. I just matched up the swatches and they're virtually the same. It's Saturday night and I've been at the beach installing windows and doors all week and I'm on my iPad hanging out on a window forum playing with window color swatches. I must be the biggest nerd ever. Just did my first big job with some OKNA 800's. Love them! Awesome project.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

MJ,

Nice.

If they have it in a foil...its a no-brainer to go with the LS.

Enjoy the beach for at least a day.

Jgs

#9 Post by Jgs »

Thanks to everyone that responded, sl imperisl ls it is.Itt looks to me that sierra is a painted color .PLease let me know if there is laminated color that matches.Should I upgrade to super spacer or is intercept spacet more than adequate.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Sierra is a lifetime foil alminate color for Soft-lite, nice choice.
I would at least do the stainless steel intercept, neglible difference in thermal performance between the Super Spacer and the stainless steel intercept.

Mike, I am thewindownerd.com .

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sierra can be a PVC bonded exterior painted color, or the foil laminate color from Soft-Lite. You want the foil laminate. I agree with Anthony in that stainless Intercept is a nice choice. I prefer Super Spacer to both the Intercept spacers.

Yes, Anthony is the original window nerd. Just like the Highlander movies, "there can be only one."

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

Delaware Mike wrote:
Yes, Anthony is the original window nerd. Just like the Highlander movies, "there can be only one."
:lol:
Lucky you Mike... Instead of installing windows on the beach I was tearing off my roof here in WI!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#13 Post by Window4U (IL) »

HomeSealed wrote: ...Instead of installing windows on the beach I was tearing off my roof here in WI!
I replaced mine 3 years ago with 50 year shingles so that I wouldn't have to get up there and replace it again until I'm in my 100s. :roll: On the second day of working in 95º heat on the roof it hit me.., what in the world was I thinking being up there on the roof in my 50s trying to save a couple bucks? I could die! Really! So, wimped out I had a couple of my employees come and finish it for me. :mrgreen:

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

After falling off the roof last year, aug2, I have been trying to keep the tool belt off.
I enjoy the field work and am good at it, if I can stay on the roof or ladder, ha.
It is hard to change and become a buisness man and not a craftsman.