NE Kansas

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MysteryJayhawk

NE Kansas

#1 Post by MysteryJayhawk »

Replacing a single fixed picture, and 12-15 wood double-hung deteroriated windows in a 1950's built ranch home. The home is part of an estate and will be resold so a transferable warranty is desired.

Obviously, new vinyl windows will be better than the existing deteriorated wood windows for a potential buyer. I've read the comments regarding Consumer Reports and big box stores Home Depot and Lowes.

Pella windows have been purchased in the past but due to problems and poor customer service are no longer a consideration. I would prefer to avoid Home Depot because they probably fit in this category also.

Cost is an issue to be balanced with overall performance to determine an ideal value. In other words, probably a low priced or builder grade quality vinyl window that's value priced at $400 or less installed.

Based on my research of local window sellers the main options appear to be, Alside, Reliabilt, SilverLine, Simonton, Sunrise, and a few others. I'm actually inexperienced when it comes to window buying but the list above, although alphabetical, may actually represent the quality of windows with Alside on the low end and Sunrise at the top.

I will never use these windows personally but would like to determine a reasonable quality window the buyer will appreciate at a price that's right for my budget. My question is what vinyl window is the best inexpensive bang for the buck replacement window to use in this resale situation?

Windows on Washington

Re: NE Kansas

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Your alphabetical analysis is surprisingly not far off the mark although most would argue that Silverline is not near the top. Their upper end product is pretty decent and might fit this application.

In terms of warranty, many are transferable and you could just leave the warranty to be filled out by the next purchaser.

Simonton make a solid entry level window inside of their line as does Sunrise.

You have a pretty well hashed out set of guidelines so I would just entertain some bids from local contractors and go from there. Ex. If you contacted us with this situation, I would have a window that fit that criteria and would present that option to you based on your inquiry.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. I'd add that it is nearly impossible to gauge where the price of one product will come out vs another because it is entirely dependent on each individual dealer. For instance, an Alside dealer might sell his window for hundreds more than a Sunrise dealer due to company size/overhead, business model, etc. As WoW said, your best bet is to simply get some quotes and see where they come out. In the $400-$500 range per window, you should be able to get into a very good "basic" option from a top manufacturer like Sunrise, HiMark, or Softlite. The Simonton would not be a bad choice either.

MysteryJayhawk

#4 Post by MysteryJayhawk »

Thanks for your responses! I failed to mention an estimate from Renewal by Andersen that was obtained prior to posting my query. The estimate totaled $27,000. After browsing this forum, it would appear that the Andersen windows may not be my best option. The person I spoke with was very nice but chose to ridicule both wood and vinyl windows.

The Silverline was the middle option, and yes, I would agree it is not near the top.

I plan to seek other estimates but would prefer to not spin my wheels. Please excuse my criticism or view of this industry, but there are some unscrupulous people out there as there are also in other industries. The experience I had with Pella soured me and I find it difficult to have a positive outlook.

I would prefer to avoid another Pella experience. As was expressed, "it is entirely dependent on each individual dealer." There is a reason why "dealer" is the terminology used. I would prefer to avoid any wheeler dealers because that basically was the problem I experienced with Pella.

I haven't yet been convinced regarding the ability of any of the local contractors through my phone research. However, I find my selection rather limited. I'm sincerely trying to locate someone that provides a strong and durable window that also stands behind their product while providing a top quality installation.

It was abudantly clear that the person I had install the Pella windows was competent and professional. They were not associated with Pella except as an approved installer and I would not hesitate to use them again. You've suggested HiMark, Simonton, Softlite and Sunrise brand windows. Now that you have a more complete picture, what is the best way to obtain satisfaction that results in "peace of mind?"
Last edited by MysteryJayhawk on Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Your commentary on the industry is well founded. There is a bunch of nonsensical Tom Foolery in the construction world and more specifically windows.

If you do your research, you will be able to more aptly sort through the dingbats and get to the good contractors. They will be like a breath of fresh air.

In terms of vetting the contractors, you need to see work samples, referrals, previous customers, and get a general vibe for their professionalism and mastery of their craft.

MysteryJayhawk

#6 Post by MysteryJayhawk »

Thanks for your response and advice!

For something so common and universal, replacement windows can be a real mystery to the average homeowner. This is due in part to the fact that the replacement window industry rivals the new car industry in "locking down" all the information and keeping it within their own closed field. The replacement window industry is highly competitive, which can breed bad operators--all the way from the salesperson up to the company itself.

No matter what I hear, I am still convinced that the replacement window industry is like that scene in The Godfather when all the competing Mafia families get together and agree to cooperate--for the better good of all of them. It's like the replacement window industry controlled by a handful of people greedily rubbing their hands together and saying, "Let's see how much money we can squeeze from homeowners."

One way to squeeze even more money is to lock homeowners into this inescapable buying track that ensures that they have to go through window installation companies simply to have access to the product. At one local commercial building supply store, I've found insanely cheap replacement windows hovering around the $163 mark. If I am not mistaken, that's a lot less than the quote obtained. It is for a no-name window... in other words, not the big guys Pella, Marvin, Andersen, which I don't believe matters one bit.

Is it possible to buy direct from a window factory/manufacturer? Do you have any other suggestions?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

The truth will set you free at the end.

The industry is probably not so well organized at you think (i.e. Mafia reference). The confusion is aimed at creating separation between the manufacturers.

The brands more commonly recommended are HiMark, Sunrise, Soft-Lite, and Polaris.

See if you can take a look at those units and get lined up with some contractors that carry those units.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 on all counts. Window salesman = the new used car salesman in many cases, but even worse. The key is to find a company that is competent, honest, and trustworthy, and that offers a quality product. That may seem easier said than done, but they are out there. :)

MysteryJayhawk

#9 Post by MysteryJayhawk »

Thanks everyone for your responses. I greatly appreciate your patience and sharing of insight and information.

I detest used car salespeople. Although like anything else, there are some good ones that I choose to call friends. However, I buy new cars. Obviously, you hit the nail on the head and that is why I have an aversion to purchasing replacement windows.

Okay, so the brands more commonly recommended are HiMark, Sunrise, Soft-Lite, and Polaris. Someone mentioned that some of these windows are considered "elite." Does that mean they exceed the quality of the big guys Pella, Marvin, Andersen or what? Are they recommended in the listed order based on quality or what? In your opinion, which window provides the best bang for the buck?

One of the dealers in my community sells two of those brands but choses to only push Simonton with no mention of the others. This may be predicated on location as it seems most of these windows are manufactured in the east. Another dealer sells Sunrise only and a third Alside and various others not mentioned.

Of these dealers, I am the most comfortable with the one that sells Sunrise but the owner recently purchased the business from a long-time proven owner and the new owner is fairly new to the business and lacks experience. The dealer that sells HiMark, Polaris, and Simonton is a roofing contractor that recently entered the home improvement business. Their track record is also questionable. The Alside dealer is a glass company that specializes in auto glass. Not much selection actually.

The replacement window business is competitive but for a community of 125,000 people, I'm surprised to have these limited options of which I am basically skeptical. That's why I chose Pella previously but obviously that didn't work out well. One possibility would be to branch out to larger metropolitian cities but I'm more familiar with local people and would prefer to do business locally.

However, the Renewal by Andersen quote was from a larger metropolitian city, so I am not opposed. I guess I'm going to have to do some more research to try and determine my best options. If I were able to narrow my options to a couple of windows, then the window could be the priority and I could proceed on the basis of selecting the best installer that sells those particular windows.

Do you have any other suggestions?