Replacement Vinyl Windows - Simonton vs. Ply Gem vs. EPI/Cas

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mcfarnell

Replacement Vinyl Windows - Simonton vs. Ply Gem vs. EPI/Cas

#1 Post by mcfarnell »

Greetings everyone,
I'm working on getting the aluminum framed windows replaced in my 1976 home. I've had 3 contractors out to give me quotes, and they've all given me different info. The local PUD will give me $20 per sq/ft to replace the windows.

Contractor #1 is really nice and is recommending Ply Gem Contractor Series windows. He is bidding the job so that the PUD rebate will cover the cost completely. I think that's around $4500 for 7 windows and a sliding door.

Contractor #2 is more of a salesman and tried to get me to move forward the day he was bidding. Problem is I'm required to take 2+ bids to the PUD. That changed his attitude a bit and he seemed irritated. He is recommending EPI/Cascade windows. He's bidding around $7,000.

Contractor #3 is really nice also and is recommending Simonton windows. They are the company that takes care of all Simonton warranty/service calls in the Pacific Northwest. They say Simonton has a great warranty. I also see that JD Powers has listed Simonton windows as the best for 3 years in a row. They are also bidding around $7000.

So......what do you all think of these window options? I've never dealt with windows before. I really like the idea of having contractor #1 do it at the rate PUD will pay, so I have no out-of-pocket cost. Ply Gem contractor series seems like a reasonable quality product. What do you think?

Thank you for any help.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement Vinyl Windows - Simonton vs. Ply Gem vs. EPI/Cas

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

There are a couple of recent threads from folks out on the West Coast.

Simonton is a solid window, but I would need to know what model he is quoting to give some more directed feedback on that quote.

The "Contractor" series windows are often times the entry level product and only budget minded. As a result, they will not have the nicer features, design, or engineered longevity of some of the nicer windows.

While the idea of getting your utility company to pay for the window project is great, removing and old window to put in a sub-standard window (while free) is not a great option. I would rather see a customer get a really, really, good unit and just pay the delta between what the utility company is issuing.

That is very aggressive rebate program and you can get into a great window for pennies on the dollar compared to nearly everyone else.

Soft-Lite, HiMark, Polaris, Affinity Ultra, and Sunrise are my most often recommended lines but I am not sure of their availability in your area.