HELP Alliance windows (Hawthorne)

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
mted

HELP Alliance windows (Hawthorne)

#1 Post by mted »

I'm inn the process of making a final decsion on 4 replacment windows for my newly bought home. I'm working with Royal window in Arkansas and also my local Pella window dealer.
Royal sells the Alliance Hawthore, the specs look good but the few reviews I can find on the company and product aren't impressive. I'm also considering the Pella Impervia.
I know very little about windows and am open to any information/ advice to help me make a more informed decision.

Randy

Re: HELP Alliance windows (Hawthorne)

#2 Post by Randy »

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give the Alliance products a 4. There are worse windows, to be sure, but there are significantly better ones in the same price range. Soft-lite should have a dealer in Arkansas that serves your area, as should Sunrise. If neither one of those work out, you might look for a Gorell dealer or a contractor who offers the Simonton 5500 or 9800.

Pella's Impervia is the lowest end of the fiberglass spectrum. First of all, it's flat out ugly, and it is a poor performer to boot.
All of the manufacturers I listed make windows that run circles around the Impervia.

mted

#3 Post by mted »

Randy
Thanks for the information I'll take a look and see what I can find in my area.
Can you help me understand how to pick a good window? I'm looking at the U ratings and the high E ratings. I'm looking for a window that is going to last me for some time, as I plan to be in the house for a while.

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

Get the AAMA test report from the salesperson, if possible. High Design Pressure ratings (over 50) and low Air Leakage (below .08) ratings generally indicate a well built window with tight tolerances.

Better vinyl windows will have more Titanium Dioxide in the vinyl making the white color appear softer and purer to the eye. White frames that have a a blue/grey hue are going to be cheaper grade windows.

Sloped sills are a must, and pocket sills should be avoided. Internal sash reinforcement (aluminum, steel, fiberglass, composite) is a plus. Triple point perimeter weatherstripping and mortised sill dams are great features.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Well said.

I would also add that you want to look for a window that has a nice narrow profile to it. There are plenty, several made by Soft-Lite, Sunrise, HiMark, Plygem, etc, that do so without sacrificing structural ratings. They accomplish this via a well engineered profile and a heavy mil thickness on the vinyl. This helps stabilize the temperature fluctuations as well as mitigate expansion and contraction issues.