Need to replace our broken Schuco window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
best4future

Need to replace our broken Schuco window

#1 Post by best4future »

One of our schuco window was broken. Does anybody know where we can find glass panel replacement? We just want to replace the broken glass panel. Any idea will be highly appreciated!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Need to replace our broken Schuco window

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I'm a former dealer, and when my old customers have a bad glass I order a new one from one of my current suppliers. Any local glass shop can do this for you.

best4future

#3 Post by best4future »

Hellom Window4U:

Thank you for your reply!! The broken glass panel has two (maybe triple) layers of glass. The inside glass was broken, while the outside one was still ok.

I remember there is some low-E gas between the glass panels as part of the insulation. Also there is a glazing or coating on the glass. So if I just replace the broken glass from a local glass shop, is the insulation the same?

thanks!

Window4U (IL)

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The triple pane will have low-E glass and krypton gas, though it would be just fine to order it with argon gas instead to save some money. To get the glass size, measure the viewable glass and add 1/2" per side for the glass that is recessed into the sash frame. So, if your viewable area is 20" x 30", the glass would be 21" x 31".
The Schuco windows I sold were the Corona, and the inside glazing bead had a rounded edge colonial look to it and the glass unit was 7/8" thick. If the inside glazing bead around the glass is concave, that model is the Suprema, not that it matters. Just a cosmetic difference.
The only thing you might notice with a new IG is that the spacer around the edge of the glass may not be black like the original windows. It may be metal. Ask your glass shop what color their spacer is if that color difference might bother you. They may be able to order it with a different spacer with a color closer to the original.

best4future

#5 Post by best4future »

Hello, window4u:

Thanks for all the information! So what I need to do is take the broken half unit off (I have a double hung) and take it to the local glass shop, and ask them to order a triple pane which has low-E glass and krypton gas inside and replace the broken pane. Is this what I should do?

The Schuco window I have is Corona 4000, Triple Glaze, Krypton filled, Low E2. What brand of triple panel will be as close as the Schuco triple pane in terms of performance? Is it possible that I order a triple pane from Schuco?

Also, about the "glazing bead", I didn't see it on my schuco windows.....what is this for? Where can I find it?

Thank you a lot! Your message is extremely helpful since I had been so guilty and upset after breaking this very expensive window

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

The "glazing bead is a mitered removable vinyl molding piece that ties the interior face of the sash as it meets the surface of the glass. Schuco insulated glass units are some of the more easy sashes to de-glaze. If you follow Window4u's advice on measuring the viewable glass you won't have to mess with taking off the glazing beads prior to ordering the new glass. I opt for a Edgetech Super Space IG as it will most resemble the TPS spacer that Schuco utilized.

I wouldn't kill yourself trying to obtain krypton gas filling over argon. You will be shocked at the price. Krypton was much more affordable when Schuco was in their prime. If you need more details on removing the glazing beads Dave or myself have done a decent amount of them and are we visit the boards daily.

Window4U (IL)

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Like Mike said, the colonial style glass bead around the glass is removed with a putty knife or thin pry bar. That allows the glass to be accessed and replaced.

best4future

#8 Post by best4future »

Thank you so much, guys, for your kindness to help me! I will ask my husband to read your posts and figure out how to get the glass off.

Just being curious, I remember the salesman told us that Schuco uses special technology on their glass to make it superior in terms of insulation and heat blocking. So if a local replacement glass company can come close to matching the glass in my schuco window, why I (and thousands of customers) pay premium dollars for windows with a Schuco tag??

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

best4future wrote:Thank you so much, guys, for your kindness to help me! I will ask my husband to read your posts and figure out how to get the glass off.

Just being curious, I remember the salesman told us that Schuco uses special technology on their glass to make it superior in terms of insulation and heat blocking. So if a local replacement glass company can come close to matching the glass in my schuco window, why I (and thousands of customers) pay premium dollars for windows with a Schuco tag??
The glass is a sealed IGU (insulated glass unit) and is equip with Low-e and an inert gas fill.

This is not something that your standard glass shop can or would duplicate in house. They could order a replacement IGU as Window4U mentioned above that would largely mimic the performance of your existing glass with the certain variability that is inherent to the different formulations of Low-e.

Schuco's glass technology is no different than just about every other glass manufacturer and I am not sure they made their own glass at the end of the day. They did use a TPS spacer systems which was very well engineered but there is no real performance advantage to Schuco's insulated glass vs. the insulated glass of another insulated IGU window.

You are going to pay a price tag for any insulated glass system and well designed frame components.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Schuco had a nice story with the in house glazing of their TPS (Thermo Plastic Spacer) and the how they did things. Edge deletion of the low-e coating, gas filling via a gas chamber, and then secondary sealing of the IG. However at the end of the day there where a lot of issues and they were losing a ton of money. They just couldn't make it. Just try to get yourself a Super Spaced triple-glazed IG and hopefully things match up well enough for your liking.

best4future

#11 Post by best4future »

thank you for all your advice. Really really appreciated!!

best4future

#12 Post by best4future »

one company has LowE with super spacer, the other company has LowE2 without the super spacer. Which company I should choose? Is LowE2 making a lot of differece than just LowE?

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

What are the specifics on the coatings. Those names are their brand (i.e. private label) names and not the specific coating.

best4future

#14 Post by best4future »

Sorry for the late response...

Here is the information:

One company offers TIACX 40 Low-E triple pane with Argon,
One company offers triple glazed, double strenth advanced glass, Low-E with Argon, Super spacer.

Which one has better insulation? thank you!

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

What Low-e is on the second option?

What are the performance numbers on the first and second glass package and who are they made by?

I think either will serve your purpose and I would not expect a windfall shift in performance with either option.