VT vs. U Factor

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
newhomeowner1234

VT vs. U Factor

#1 Post by newhomeowner1234 »

What is the VT of a construction grade window so I can determine how much light I will lose when I upgrade my windows with a smaller U factor. Is there a way to tell before I replace my windows how much light is let in based on the VT? Like if it's a VT of .4 it's like a sheet being in front of a construction grade window. Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: VT vs. U Factor

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tough to say without knowing the window.

Easier assessment would be to look at the comparison in VT through a given type of glass.

Clear glass, dual pane = VT of around 0.82 - 0.84
Low-e glass, dual pane = VT of around 0.66 - 0.71 (in most windows)

You will loose a bit of visible glass and therefore VT as a result of pocket style insert if you are tear out original vinyl windows, however, if you have wood windows with a storm window, most folks note more glass as a result of the uninterrupted frame.

newhomeowner1234

#3 Post by newhomeowner1234 »

thank you for your reply. we had majestic home remodeling come today and they sell the affinity elite. it has u factor of .19 and VT of .38. We currently have - they say - construction grade windows.

So I noticed in other forum replies that affinity elite is the lower of the two windows affinity sells. they want 11000 for 20 windows. does that sound normal?

I am still struggling with how do i know their windows are really all that and then some compared to some i can spend 200 for at home depot! what is the real difference between a construction grade window and a higher end window?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Affinity Elite is a very solid window.

masterext is out of NJ but he is a bit far from you.

anthony covers the Philly area so he might be in your backyard. He would be my recommendation for you first and foremost.

In terms of the comparisons in windows, there is none. 95% of the stuff that you see for $200 at HD of Lowes does not belong in an outhouse, let alone your residence.

What is the issue with the current windows?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

You will get more feedback in one thread.

Triple pane is not overkill for Philadelphia and that is a killer price for that window.

newhomeowner1234

#6 Post by newhomeowner1234 »

Windows on Washington wrote:You will get more feedback in one thread.
Ok sorry. That makes sense.

Here were my other questions if anyone is still reading this!

1) if the low e keeps the heat out, why would i want that in PA where it can get cold and I want to keep heat in? does low e do more than keep the heat out and if not, why is it so important?

2) 11000 for 20 windows affinity elite triple pane. is that a good deal? is it too good to be true?