Softlite Imperal LS price quote & opinion of Marvin Infinity

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
midwesthome

Softlite Imperal LS price quote & opinion of Marvin Infinity

#1 Post by midwesthome »

Went back to the Softlite showroom and got updated pricing (last quote was from February). They actually came down in price a little bit. Anyway, was hoping to find out where this number was sitting with the professionals on here.

For rough opening size of 3'-0" W x 6'-6" H, three picture windows: I have a price of $3,675 for Imperial LS with the standard interior/exterior colors. They have a free triple pane promotion right now with the intercept spacer (and tempered glazing). HE also priced out doing the Imperial LS oracle? Which is double-hung and would remove the requirement for tempered glazing. I am unsure about this as I have little kids and a dog and the windows are 6" off the floor, but the ventilation would be nice. Thoughts? Price on that is $3,373.

Just had Marvin come out and they are working on a price for the Infinity. No idea where that will fall, but wanted to know opinion on that window vs. the Imperial LS. Marvin guy was very adamant that the fiberglass option is much better than premium vinyl. He said both would be low-maintenance.

Thanks for your help!

HomeSealed

Re: Softlite Imperal LS price quote & opinion of Marvin Infinity

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Hard to say on the pricing, it sounds like it may be a complex install given the size.
On product, the Infinity is a nice product as are all Marvins, however the LS will blow its doors off in every measurable area of thermal and structural performance. I'd also be shocked if the price on it did not come in significantly higher than the LS. The only reason to choose the Inifinity would be if you fall in love with its looks (and it is truly a looker). Don't be fooled by all of the bogus "anti-vinyl" talk that the sales guy will feed you.
In the end, compare the two on performance, appearance, and price. Your own personal priorities for the project will determine how much weight to give each area. I personally prefer function over form, but there is certainly an argument to be made for both.

midwesthome

#3 Post by midwesthome »

HomeSealed: thanks for your thoughts. That is definitely helpful and I also value function over form. If the price is higher than the Imperial LS than I won't look into them anymore. I don't think the install is too complex. We just have three large picture windows in our family room. They have to replace some oak trim and jambs and add oak extensions. Does that price sound reasonable?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

So it is one opening, 36" x 78"? Are you stacking three picture windows?.... Or are we talking three separate openings here? I want to be sure that I understand exactly what was quoted.

midwesthome

#5 Post by midwesthome »

It is 3 separate openings. Each one 36" x 72".

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

First: I would do the tempered glass and keep my kids safe.

As far as price goes you have large units, small volume, and more than standard install. So with out a site visit and a detailed scope of work commenting any further on price is futile.

TheWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. I would say that at first glance it is on the higher end of the spectrum, but for the reasons that anthony cited, it may very well be within the range of reason... It is definitely on that line that could go one way or the other and is nearly impossible to say without knowing exact details via physical inspection.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

I agree with HomeSealed and anthony.

If you are at all concerned, stay with tempered glass. It probably isn't legally required but it is cheap insurance and what value do you put on safety at the end of the day.

The installed price does seem a bit high at the end of the day but not out of the realm when you figure in what will likely be a full tear out, triple pane, and small number of units.

That is a good window though and you should be happy with it.